Judgment and sin

After death when God Judges, does he judge the mortal and venial sins you’ve commited but have confessed to a Priest? Are the sins confessed to a Priest, not held against you so to speak, not judged, because they have been confessed?

At the Particular Judgment, Jesus judges us based on the state of our soul (in a state of grave vs in a state of mortal sin) and our eternal destiny depends on that state of our soul at the time of our death.

At the general judgment at the end of time, all sins will be laid bare and brought to light, but no, we won’t be judged on the sins that had been absolved.

The Particular Judgment and the General Judgment outcome will be no different. The Particular Judgment results in soul realizing the Beatific Vision immediately, or to face purgation, or to be damned. Only the first and the last are eternal, we a transient in Purgatory, but heaven bound either at the Final Judgment or when God feels our purgation is complete.

In the Final Judgment, those in purgatory are released, joining those already saints, and are resurrected to live, body and soul, eternally.

The damned face a second death, after body and soul are reunited.

PEACE AND ALL GOOD!

Something to ponder … When we attend Holy Mass we mysteriously join in the Pascal Mysteries with Jesus. This includes Jesus’s JudgementS: personal and public. In His personal Judgement, he was judged by the Pharisee’s for his accused crimes. It is my opinion that the Sacrament of Reconcilliation joins us to Jesus in the personal Judgement; in this, our relation is repaired with God, but we still need to try to confess and make Penance to those we wronged with our sin. Since sin has a rippling effect throughout all of time, the public judgement (Crusify Him) is the final one where we are called to amend how our wrongs hurt others. It seems that we will have to stand in a public assembly with Jesus by our side while those who have been wronged by us find justice. In another mysterious way, I imagine that women will have to stand and witness their children in a public trial too; just as BVM Mary had to watch her son.

I remember an Irish Priest giving a homily where he said something like, “Give thanks to the Irish because confessions used to be public and the Irish brought about private confessions”.:eek: In some ways I am so glad for the private confessions. I do see how valuable public confession is too. We see public confessions in alcoholic annonomous groups and such. It truely takes repentance to make such public confessions.

Correct. I wasn’t trying to imply that they might possibly be…

Just to confirm, the sins that have been absolved through Confession are not part of the Particular or General Judgment, they not held against, so to speak, or judged, because those sins would be absolved?

Just to clarify, does the ‘second death’ a person supposedly suffers just damnation or just the isolation from God?

Damnation is isolation from God. It’s isolation from the company of God and all others who are good and loving and in heaven.
Instead a condemned person will spend eternity in the company of the devil and those in hell – where love, kindness, joy, & all other good attributes (which have their source in God) are absent. Horrifying to think of spending eternity with only beings who are filled with hate, meanness, violence, bitterness, envy, etc.

Well, for those who believe in such things. The prospect of a natural death becomes more and more alluring than an afterlife permeated with an overwhelming degree of despair with a few fortunate souls to escape such a fate. Of course, such conceptions are hardly within your tradition; one needs only to look at Alphonso Maria de Ligouri essay On The Fewness Of The Saved. One must wonder, is the innumerable number of persons in hell a condemnation of God’s plan of salvation? Well, that’s for you Catholics to consider.

Alluring you may find it. But, is it (no afterlife) a fact? That’s for you to consider. :slight_smile:
And obviously, it’s pretty critical to come up with the right answer.

I would be under the presumption that it is.
Needless to say, we’ll have to wait and see but from a sceptical, secular outlook, the concept of an afterlife has no erstwhile importance for me, as of now. I tried to believe what you believe my friend but I’m under the impression I’ve been been lying to myself to fit in. At the end of the day, it all appears to be fear-mongering that moves man to religious devotion, not any senses of love.

Yes and no.

No, these sins aren’t “held against” us, for precisely the reason you’ve mentioned – they’ve already been absolved!

Yes, they’re “part of” the General Judgment, but only inasmuch as all will be laid bare at that time. My own personal opinion is that, for those who are condemned, this will display the justice of God – for those who do not repent, their eternal destiny is explained by their unrepented sins; but, for those who inherit heaven, this will display the mercy of God – for those who repent and are absolved, the God’s mercy is demonstrated by the absolution of their sins.

You couldn’t be more wrong. I speak from experience.

By your experience may I learn, please tell me by what experience you have felt that shows why my approach to man’s religious devotion is wrong.

We’re sidetracking this thread. I’ll respond in a Private Message.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.