Juding if an action is right or wrong

I have read in philosophy that judging whether or not an act is right or wrong involves viewing the act in three ways. Objectively, subjectively and relatively. How does one do this exactly?

Bill

Read it this way:

Objectively: absolute moral/divine justice.
Subjectively: personal moral/whether you appreciate it or not.
Relatively: public moral/what is the consequence, advantage or disadvantage.

There are probably more than three ways to judge whether an act is right or wrong. I will only comment on the three you have mentioned.

Objectively: using a set of rational criteria that fit the act. Is the act provably helpful or harmful to one’s self or to others?

Subjectively: is the act right or wrong strictly according to the biased judgment of the doer?

Relatively: Is the act right or wrong from mixed motives? Coercion, Desperation, Passion, Revenge, Insanity, Intoxication, etc. (In other words, extenuating circumstances)

Whether something is right or wrong is always relative to the situation. The situation will be dependant on objective truths (those facts not based on anyone’s interpretation or opinion - the man has a gun) and/or subjective truths (those based on someone’s interpretation or opinion - I think the man is dangerous).

If the man is pulling the trigger on everyone in sight, that means he is objectively dangerous. If you have no gun, run for your life. That’s the objectively right decision. :thumbsup:

What an act then as in and ACT of legislation?

Bill

It is relative. But this depend on how each individual is aware of her/his action. Relative for poor culture, subjective for good culture and divine for advance one.

I’m thinking legislators are telling the people what’s good and bad for them and their primary motive is reelection. This to me is immoral. The act of legislation if it has any impact as one would normally think it would, well it’s going to effect people not even considered in negative ways.
Well it’s like I say when it comes to politicians especially lawmakers. “If they’re our best and brightest…we’re in trouble.”.

God Bless

Bill

No problem with that…

You judge it by the Catechism, if that doesn’t help you talk to your confessor.

Linus3nd

Ok. Yeah…That does make sense. Providing one is properly understanding the CCC. I would love for there to be a class on that somewhere sometime. And btw like your links in your signature. But doesn’t the presbyters know only so much? Isn’t that why we have the epistles like the Bishops and Archbishops?

Bill

Well then, make an appointment to see the Bishop. :smiley:

Linus2nd

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.