Julia Child- A Spy During WWII

WASHINGTON - Famed chef Julia Child shared a secret with Supreme Court Justice Arthur Goldberg and Chicago White Sox catcher Moe Berg at a time when the Nazis threatened the world.

They served in an international spy ring managed by the Office of Strategic Services, an early version of the CIA created in World War II by President Franklin Roosevelt.

news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080813/ap_on_go_ot/spies_revealed

She served very well in that conflict, and her life was at risk many times. She was indeed an excellent spy…

Actually sort of old news.

She talked often of her wartime experience.

She was posted in Ceylon and then China’s wartime capital of Chungking were she met her husband.

Really? I had never heard of this, and I thought it was interesting.

I saw the news report this morning, and although she talked about her experience, the information about her spying, was just recently declassified.

Until this morning, I never knew she was involved in such a thing.

Jim

In “Appetite for Life”, published in 1999, there are 4 chapter devoted to Julia and Paul Child’s wartime work for the OSS.

amazon.com/Appetite-Life-Noel-Riley-Fitch/dp/0385493835/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1218729537&sr=1-12

In 2002, The National Women’s History Museum had an exhibit, “Clandestine Women: The Untold Stories of Women in Espionage”, which had an entire section devoted to Mrs. Child’s exploits in the OSS

nwhm.org/home/spyexhibit.htm

The files released by the National Archives are personnel files, they are not operational files.

Names of operatives, especially foreign operatives are still classified.

arcweb.archives.gov/arc/action/ShowFullRecord?tab=showFullDescriptionTabs/details&%24submitId=1&%24singleHierarchy.partitionIndex=0&%24showFullDescriptionTabs.selectedPaneId=hierarchy&%24resultsDetailPageModel.pageSize=1&%24resultsDetailPageModel.search=true&%24singleHierarchy.search=true&%24showArchivalDescriptionsTabs.selectedPaneId=&%24highlight=false&%24digiSummaryPageModel.targetModel=true&%24digiDetailPageModel.currentPage=0&%24resultsPartitionPageModel.search=true&%24singleHierarchy.name=singleHierarchy&%24resultsPartitionPageModel.targetModel=true&%24resultsSummaryPageModel.pageSize=10&%24resultsSummaryPageModel.targetModel=true&%24searchId=5&%24partitionIndex=0&%24singleHierarchy.recordId=595145&%24sort=RELEVANCE_ASC&%24digiDetailPageModel.resultPageModel=true&%24resultsDetailPageModel.currentPage=0

AP only released the story because it a slow news cycle.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.