Jumping to Conclusions

I have two questions:

[LIST=1]
*]Which of the 10 Commandments would “jumping to conclusions” violate?
*]How does one say “to jump to conclusions” in Latin?
[/LIST]
Thanks

As to the first question: I don’t think jumping to conclusions is itself a sin; it’s just a mistake in reasoning and judgment. I think it could be sin if you knew that you’d done it, or someone pointed it out to you, AND you acted on the false conclusion anyway AND your action hurt someone. In that case, I think it would fall under “bearing false witness against your neighbor”.

Sorry, no clue on the second question!

eight…

(if it is a sin…depends…i suppose what is meant)

CCC

2477 Respect for the reputation of persons forbids every attitude and word likely to cause them unjust injury.277 He becomes guilty:

• of rash judgment who, even tacitly, assumes as true, without sufficient foundation, the moral fault of a neighbor;

• of detraction who, without objectively valid reason, discloses another’s faults and failings to persons who did not know them;278

• of calumny who, by remarks contrary to the truth, harms the reputation of others and gives occasion for false judgments concerning them.

2478 To avoid rash judgment, everyone should be careful to interpret insofar as possible his neighbor’s thoughts, words, and deeds in a favorable way:

Every good Christian ought to be more ready to give a favorable interpretation to another's statement than to condemn it. But if he cannot do so, let him ask how the other understands it. And if the latter understands it badly, let the former correct him with love. If that does not suffice, let the Christian try all suitable ways to bring the other to a correct interpretation so that he may be saved.279

As leaping to conclude without knowing the facts; not really lying per say but could be.:shrug:

leap to conclude; insulto ut infero or coniecto That probably is wrong and someone that knows Latin might be able to help. I used a translator and there is no word for jump or conclusion in the translator. So I used leap and conclude.

If you make a rash judgement the 8th Commandment is violated. I don’t know the Latin translation.

That is what I would say, too.

Well, leaping to a negative conclusion is a lack of charity. Let’s say you see two married (to other people) friends whom you don’t like together at a bar or restaurant and automatically assume they are up to something improper. That’s wrong, even if you keep it to yourself.

If you do mention it to someone else, even the bare facts, “I saw John and Mary a Joe’s Bar & Grill last evening.” you are damaging their reputation because it invites a negative conclusion and starts the rumor mill rolling.
Just from my own experience (having been burnt and burning others) I try to draw the most innocent conclusion from anything; maybe John & Mary are planning a surprise b’day party for John’s wife.

I’ve noticed Christians sometimes cover up rumor-mongering with, “We need to pray for Joe’s marriage . . .” followed by the juicy stuff.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.