Junk math on global warming and still the need to go green

Hello all
The Issue:
I am assuming that the math for global warming is junk. My question to you is should we still go green even though the math is bogus? By what I’ve seen, Conservatives seem to be saying that since the math is bogus, going green is a waste of time.
An example of this is

youtube.com/watch?v=9xvZrLNuZq4

My Personal opinion:
To start off this discussion, I personally think we should still “go green.” I’m not sure if what I’ve seen is representative of the Right. We should still reduce our “carbon footprint” for a variety of reasons.

1. Car exhaust contains harmful chemicals similar to cigarette smoke. Even if it doesn’t effect the climate, it is still harmful. L.A.'s smog is an infamous example of this.

2. Going green would help reduce our dependency on foreign oil. One way to really beat OPEC at its own game is to refuse to play at all. We can’t permit one organization like OPEC to have such a strong say in how our economy and our lives run. WHen they change the price of oil, we feel it at the gas station.

3. With technologies such as biomasss, we could also take care of the problem of green waste.

Bless you. You are exactly right. I happen to know AGW is real and happening (been studying it 20 years & know the denialist campaign is completely wrong), and there is increasing evidence that we could be tipping into serious problems, even runaway warming, which would end all life on earth (but not tomorrow :)).

But you have the correct, Catholic way of thinking. Pascal (Catholic & father of statistics) gave us his "Pascal's wager" (check it out on Wiki) about avoiding the greater harms. Here it is modified for GW:

THE FALSE POSITIVE: If GW is NOT happening, but we think it is and mitigate it thru energy/resource conservation/efficiency and alt energy, we will mitigate many other environmental problems (including fetal death and defects from local pollution) and many other problems, and we could save money without lowering living standards or productivity. For instance my husband and I have reduced our GHGs by over 60% saving us $$ while increasing our living standard. Seek ye 1st the kingdom of God & all will be added unto you.

THE FALSE NEGATIVE: If GW IS happening, but we think it is not and fail to mitigate it, we will not only lose many benefits from all of those money saving and problems solving solutions, but could worst case spiral the world into total death for all species (including our progeny) and best case kill off more than 75% of species and a huge chunk of humanity (a portion of our CO2 emissions can last in the atmosphere up to 100,000 years); AND (last but not least) wind up in a much hotter place than a globally warmed world for all eternity, no less.

So it could just be that GW (if a hoax, since there is still a 4% chance it is not happening...tho that would be going against the laws of physics), is the best hoax ever perpetrated on us....if we follow Pascal and his wager and mitigate GW.

I started a blog a few weeks ago to address the anti-environmental Catholic statements out there: catholicecology.wordpress.com. I felt very bad about all the accusations being slung at me and other environmentalists, most of whom are mothers concerned about their children, and not neopagan-pantheist-anti-human-atheists, or whatever the attack of the day. 20 years of attacks, and they are getting worse and worse as the science gets more and more robust. And I had thought 20 yrs ago all I had to do was tell people about GW and the great economic savings from mitigating it, they would tell others, who'd tell others, and I could get back to my regularly scheduled life. And instead we seem to be going rapidly backwards.

[quote="lynnvinc, post:2, topic:196166"]
Bless you. You are exactly right. I happen to know AGW is real and happening (been studying it 20 years & know the denialist campaign is completely wrong), and there is increasing evidence that we could be tipping into serious problems, even runaway warming, which would end all life on earth (but not tomorrow :)).

But you have the correct, Catholic way of thinking. Pascal (Catholic & father of statistics) gave us his "Pascal's wager" (check it out on Wiki) about avoiding the greater harms. Here it is modified for GW:

THE FALSE POSITIVE: If GW is NOT happening, but we think it is and mitigate it thru energy/resource conservation/efficiency and alt energy, we will mitigate many other environmental problems (including fetal death and defects from local pollution) and many other problems, and we could save money without lowering living standards or productivity. For instance my husband and I have reduced our GHGs by over 60% saving us $$ while increasing our living standard. Seek ye 1st the kingdom of God & all will be added unto you.

THE FALSE NEGATIVE: If GW IS happening, but we think it is not and fail to mitigate it, we will not only lose many benefits from all of those money saving and problems solving solutions, but could worst case spiral the world into total death for all species (including our progeny) and best case kill off more than 75% of species and a huge chunk of humanity (a portion of our CO2 emissions can last in the atmosphere up to 100,000 years); AND (last but not least) wind up in a much hotter place than a globally warmed world for all eternity, no less.

So it could just be that GW (if a hoax, since there is still a 4% chance it is not happening...tho that would be going against the laws of physics), is the best hoax ever perpetrated on us....if we follow Pascal and his wager and mitigate GW.

I started a blog a few weeks ago to address the anti-environmental Catholic statements out there: catholicecology.wordpress.com. I felt very bad about all the accusations being slung at me and other environmentalists, most of whom are mothers concerned about their children, and not neopagan-pantheist-anti-human-atheists, or whatever the attack of the day. 20 years of attacks, and they are getting worse and worse as the science gets more and more robust. And I had thought 20 yrs ago all I had to do was tell people about GW and the great economic savings from mitigating it, they would tell others, who'd tell others, and I could get back to my regularly scheduled life. And instead we seem to be going rapidly backwards.

[/quote]

And for those who still need the 'stamp' from the Church - one need not look to far into the words of the Holy Father, the USCCB to see that they have recognized our call to be good stewards of Creation - and how, as Catholics, we need to make choices every day that reflect our understanding of this. Blessings

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.