Juno Spacecraft

I heard on the news tonight that the Juno spacecraft will be landing on Jupiter soon (tomorrow?) and they should be learning about the history of the solar system. Is it possible they could find out God isn’t our Creator or is that something impossible to prove?

Going into orbit around Jupiter.

I don’t really understand what you’re asking. From a purely scientific standpoint, it has not been proven that God exists. While similarly, one cannot prove he does not exist as well, if that makes any sense. That is where the concept of Faith comes in, believing without seeing.
Now if we ever discover an alien race, or they discover us I think I understand your question. Because why wouldn’t they have their own God, or perhaps prove that any type of God did not exist? It’s mind boggling between sci-fi and religion and truth all mixed together.

Juno begins it’s orbital insertion tonight. It cannot land on Jupiter since we don’t even know if Jupiter has a rocky core. That is one of the mission objectives; to evaluate if there is a solid core under the thousands of miles of hydrogen and helium atmosphere. This assumes that the autopilot maneuvers go as planned and the probe doesn’t simply fly past jupiter or end up on some unplanned vector.

It really can’t prove or disprove God. Science can only provide theories about the natural universe and God is supernatural (i.e. above or outside of nature). Just as we should never consider the Bible as a science text book, we should not use science as the compass of faith. Some will assert that science facts show the universe does not need a creator, but that does not prove that there is no creator.

Here’s a link …

abcnews.go.com/Technology/nasas-juno-spacecraft-reaches-jupiter-year-journey/story?id=40276654

We’re about to get a closer look at Jupiter than ever before.

After five years and a nearly 2 billion mile journey through the solar system, NASA’s Juno probe is entering Jupiter’s orbit today, getting an unprecedented front-row view of the gas giant – our solar system’s largest planet

cnn.com/2016/07/04/health/juno-jupiter/

sciencealert.com/the-juno-spacecraft-just-recorded-these-creepy-sounds-around-jupiter

It is a science mission. Be at peace.
CCC 159 Faith and science: “Though faith is above reason, there can never be any real discrepancy between faith and reason. Since the same God who reveals mysteries and infuses faith has bestowed the light of reason on the human mind, God cannot deny himself, nor can truth ever contradict truth.” “Consequently, methodical research in all branches of knowledge, provided it is carried out in a truly scientific manner and does not override moral laws, can never conflict with the faith, because the things of the world and the things of faith derive from the same God. The humble and persevering investigator of the secrets of nature is being led, as it were, by the hand of God in spite of himself, for it is God, the conserver of all things, who made them what they are.”

Science does not deal with the supernatural. Never has and never will.

Science is limited to dealing with natural processes.

God is what you call in mathematics, a postulate, something that is taken as a basis or starting point for a proof but is never in itself proven.

Why do you think that the proof of the non-existence of God can be found in Jupiter?

Because the news anchor said this might be learning the history of the solar system.

I’m still not quite certain I’m catching your meaning, but if you’re asking whether Juno, or for that matter other space probes, could find something that disproves the existence of God, Catholicism, or anything related to the Catholic faith then the answer is no.

Yeah, that’s what I was asking, and thanks. :thumbsup:

Live coverage from NASA

ustream.tv/channel/6540154

There are theories that say that Jupiter was a failed sun. It was supposed to be the sun’s twin but failed to accumulate a large enough mass required for thermonuclear ignition. Juno may prove this theory right or wrong.

There are also interesting questions about the past orbit of Jupiter. It may have begun in a much different orbit (closer, farther, or highly elliptical?). By virtue of its large mass (and therefore strong gravitational field), it may have played an essential role in sweeping the inner solar system clear of asteroids, making it safe for life on earth.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.