Jury finds man guilty of attempted murder

journalgazette.net/news/local/courts/20170810/jury-finds-man-guilty-of-attempted-murder

Forum rules require me to use the actual headline from today’s local paper. If I was writing the headline it might be, “Why So Many People Hate Lawyers.”

On Aug. 24, 2016, Amos found York near her mother’s house, chased her in his car, ramming it repeatedly and forcing her to crash into a tree. He then shot her three times as she tried to run and then kicked her in the face and stomped on her head before fleeing.

This was two days after he had threatened to kill her.

Defense attorney Anthony Churchward argued no one could prove Amos intended to kill Rosita York.

Although Willie Amos is only 40 years old, he had already served 20 years in prison for another attempted murder where he shot someone nine times. Obviously 20 years was not enough and I hope that mistake will not be repeated.

Terrible story.

But you can’t really blame the defense lawyer, who had to put on the best defense possible for his client.

Thank goodness he was found guilty! Because of his previous conviction I hope
he gets more than another 20 years. The next time he might succeed and it won’t
be attempted murder, but real murder!

People don’t seem to understand that it is the job of the defense to force the prosecution to prove its case.

Yes, if the lawyer doesn’t do his best then the conviction might later be overturned.
Defense lawyers are used to people hating them. They make their peace with it.
Also, a lot of defense lawyers are former prosecutors so they have played on both sides of the fence.

Which in this case doesn’t seem like it was hard to do, but you never know about
juries.

I recently learned Marcia Clarke who was the prosecutor in the OJ Simpson case is
now practicing as a defense attorney.

Most people are not capable of the emotional detachment that is required for most defense lawyer jobs.

This guy is hair-on-the-back-of-the-neck-stands-up scary. Not right in the head and in all the most dangerous ways.

If I had been his attorney, I would have been extremely afraid of him.

I agree. I watch the Investigative ID channel a lot and I see these homicide detectives sitting across from these people who have committed heinous crimes
and have seen corpses of once vibrant human beings who have been killed in horrible ways and I wonder how they go home at night to their homes and rid
themselves of the evil and images.

I had never thought of the level of emotional detachment that these people
need in these occupations. To keep their sanity, they would need to have it.
Unless some actually convince themselves their client is innocent.

That’s where the money is.

I’ve been involved in criminal defense work.
Sometimes clients are innocent. Most of the time they aren’t. Lawyers don’t kid themselves, they usually have a good idea of what happened.
I remember eating dinner with a defense counsel I was working with and he was telling us all stories of some of his cases. He’s chowing down on his dinner and in between bites telling us in detail the story of a murderer called the “Nun Butcher” to illustrate some case point. To be able to tell such a story to a table of diners in between dinner bites like you are discussing last night’s ball game is an acquired art, as is listening to it. He was a nice Catholic guy, I think he became a judge.

Especially, in the land of celebrities!

I really do understand the lawyer’s job, which was nearly impossible in this case. I still found his argument ridiculous. Assaulting someone with three different deadly weapons could not be unintentional. Ordinarily, a case with such overwhelming evidence would result in a plea bargain. In this case, the prosecution was seeking the maximum and the defendant had nothing to lose with a public defender working for free. There was no compromise available, and a prosecutor or judge who went easy on Mr Amos would lose the next election.

I had a friend who was a public defender right after passing the bar. She had to defend a lot of drunk drivers and child molesters because no other lawyers would do it. She married a prosecutor from another county and they moved to third county with an approximately equal commute for both of them. I am sure they had some interesting conversations when one of them asked, “How was your day, honey?”

We had two recent cases that really puzzled me because of widely different outcomes. In the first case, a man broke into the house of his ex-girlfriend’s mother, laid in wait for her, and then severely beat and raped her. He was sentenced to 80 years.

In the second case, a man broke into his ex-girlfriend’s home and shot her three times. He got 3 years. I admit I don’t know all the details in either case, but the general public does not understand the difference. By the way, both defendants were black, so it was not a racial thing.

Thats because many people today want some kind of mob rule justice system. I notice this trend when reading articles where anyone is even alleged of a crime, majority of comments want to bypass court hearing, trial and go straight to carrying out death penalty, they blast the defense attys for doing what the constitution guarantees us?!!

However I do not think this is coincidence it got to this point, they have managed to turn citizens against each other for the most part.

My sister said, when someone mentioned Bill Cosby, “he should have been convicted,” as if she was on the jury, heard both sides, all the evidence and followed the guidelines of the judge. She doesn’t anymore know if he was guilty than the man on the moon. Everyone has a right to their opinion but no one has a right to be stupid.

http://www.news-sentinel.com/news/local/crime/fort_wayne_man_sentenced_to_46_years_on_attempted_murder_other_charges_20170912

Mr Amos received sentence of 46 years in prison on this, his second attempted murder conviction. I hope it will be sufficient to protect the public from him, and give him enough time to repent and serve as a warning to others who choose not to control their tempers.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.