Just a clarification on Intersexual children

I know Transgernderism is morally wrong, but what does the Church teach on Intersexual babies (those born with both male and female parts.) How do they choose which to keep or are they required to keep both and how would they identify themselves gender wise to the world? I’m figuring they’d have to remain celibate and not marry same as those with SSA? :confused:

Are Intersexual children - chlidren who run through intersections?

It’s hard to keep up with all the sex intersecting every media outlet one looks at. Here now too!

There are such people. And they have a cross to bear.

Similar questions could be asked about twins who share a common body.

I actually never have heard of any prohibitions in the church about hermaphrodites getting married in the church. Nor any cases where they HAVE married. :hmmm:

You may have stumbled upon an ethical dilemma that (in the words of Tevye from “Fiddler on the Roof”) …

… would cross a rabbi’s eyes.

This is a very real issue in the medical profession. Often when babies are born with both male and female genitalia, or with ambiguous genitalia, doctors leave it up to the parents to decide whether they want the child to be surgically altered into a male or female. Doctors used to suggest that this operation be done soon after birth, but the physical and psychological issues have actually been shown to be quite severe.

I don’t know what the answer is. Leaving the child intersex could cause the child to grow up feeling like an outcast, but giving them surgery to correct ambiguous genitalia can also lead to problems, and sometimes the child will end up having issues when entering puberty related to hormones and such. There is also a sufficient body of research that suggests many people who underwent genital “corrective” surgery as infants are extremely unhappy with the result.

This is a rare condition, but it DOES exist and it does need to be talked about. Somewhere around 1 in 1500-2000 births results in an intersex child source]. That’s a lot of people of all age groups that have been affected by this, and there isn’t a clear solution.

A bit of food for thought based on current research: here

From what I understand, there are also different degrees, as well.

I don’t know what you understand by the word “transgenderism”, so I can’t yet say whether I agree it is morally wrong.

I’m not aware that the Church teaches anything pertaining specifically to persons experiencing an Intersex condition. Noting the varying degrees to which a person may experience this condition, it’s not clear to me that a person with an Intersex condition cannot marry. It would be necessary that they can perform a conjugal act.

If it’s possible to determine blood type, I imagine that might be useful in making a determination on whether or not to surgically correct the deformed anatomy and when.

My response is completely ignorant because I know absolutely nothing about the science. However, I wonder if there is any way to do a quick chromosomal test on the infant to determine which gender he or she truly is?

A chromosomal test wouldn’t clarify things. A glitch in the chromosomes is what caused the intersex condition.

Intersex children frequently have extra X or Y chromosomes, i.e., not the usual XX female or XY male.

Now that people are colunteering for operations which give them the appearance of one sex or another–why not wait and decide when the child is older and it is more clear how the child feels and behaves?

Genetic testing would be the best way to test for this.

Sex is determined by five factors present at birth:

1. the number and type of sex chromosomes;
  2. the type of gonads—ovaries or testicles;
  3. the sex hormones;
  4. the internal reproductive anatomy (such as the uterus in females);
  5. and the external genitalia.

For intersex people, it is not so straight forward and some do not even realise they are intersex until they hit puberty. As we have seen in the news and medical studies in recent times, these people do exist.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.