Just a couple fo questions

Just like The Iambic Pen, I am also curious about Catholism. And as I was searching the internet, I came upon these. How do you explain these?

chick.com/reading/books/160/160_02.asp
chick.com/reading/books/160/160_16.asp
chick.com/reading/books/160/160_12.asp
chick.com/reading/books/160/160_07.asp

Easy. Jack Chick is a well known anti-Catholic crank who is even held at arms length by other, more respectable anti-Catholics. Here is a comprehensive report on him by Catholic Answers:

catholic.com/library/sr_chick_tracts_p1.asp

rvl2213,

The Christian Bookstore won’t even carry Chick’s material - *they *even think he’s off his rocker! His only stuff is Catholic bashing, and he makes quite a living at it.

Please consider it this way - would you go to an NAACP site and start showing KKK material and asking their thoughts? Would you go to a Jewish nationalist site and post excerpts from Mengala’s journal? This is, perhaps, overstating the case - but perhaps you see what we mean.

Could you please pick a topic and ask a question in a non-confrontational manner? We will give you an honest answer to the best of our ability.

As you may have seen, if we are approached with reason and goodwill, we will respond in kind. If we are approached with a “DEFEND THIS!!” mentality, we tend to be a bit abrupt.

Looking forward to your topic, and may God bless you richly,
RyanL

RV12213…

Is that why you started that thread about how do we get to heaven? And then you dropped it like a rotten egg…when we didn’t say what you imagined we’d say?

Please don’t tell me you believe Jack Chick…the man is stark raving mad…and most protestant apologists know that for sure, and distance themselves from his lunacy.

:blessyou:

…just by raising the Name Jack Chick you may need a blessing

But he gets all of his answer’s from the bible and even quotes them. I’m not trying to argue with you, I’m just trying to figure things out.

[quote=rvl2213]Just like The Iambic Pen, I am also curious about Catholism. And as I was searching the internet, I came upon these. How do you explain these?

[/quote]

Faith and Works

“‘Not everyone who says to me, “Lord, Lord,” shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven’” (Matt. 7:21).

“‘Why do you call me “Lord, Lord,” and not do what I tell you?’” (Luke 6:46).

“For he will render every man according to his works . . .” (Rom. 2:6-8).

“For it is not the hearers of the law who are righteous before God, but the doers of the law who will be justified” (Rom. 2:13).

"For if we sin deliberately after receiving the knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins, but a fearful prospect of judgments . . . (Heb. 10:26-27).

“What does it profit, my brethren, if a man says he has faith but has not works? Can his faith save him?” (Jas. 2:14).

“So faith by itself, if it has no works, is dead” (Jas. 2:17).

"But some one will say, ‘You have faith and I have works.’ Show me your faith apart from your works, and I by my works will show you my faith. . . .Do you want to be shown, you foolish fellow, that faith apart from works is barren? (Jas. 2:18-20).

“You see that a man is justified by works and not by faith alone” (Jas. 2:24).

Real Presence in the Eucharist

“‘Truly, truly, I say to you, he who believes has eternal life. I am the bread of life. Your fathers ate the manna in the wilderness, and they died. This is bread which comes down from heaven, that a man may eat of it and not die. I am the living bread which came down from heaven; if any one eats of this bread, he will live for ever; and the bread which I shall give for the life of the world is my flesh.’ The Jews then disputed among themselves, saying, ‘How can this man give us his flesh to eat?’ So Jesus said to them, ‘Truly truly, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of man and drink his blood, you have no life in you; he who eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day. For my flesh is food indeed, and my blood is drink indeed’” (John 6:47-55).

“For I received from the Lord what I also delivered to you, that the Lord Jesus on the night when he was betrayed took bread, and when he had given thanks, he broke it, and said, ‘This is my body which is for you. Do this in remembrance of me.’ In the same way also the cup, after supper, saying, ‘This cup is the new covenant of my blood. Do this, as often as you drink it, in remembrance of me.’ For as often as you eat this bread and drink the cup, you proclaim the Lord’s death until he comes” (1 Cor. 11:23-26).

“Whoever, therefore, eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty of profaning the body and blood of the Lord” (1 Cor. 11:27).

[quote=rvl2213]But he gets all of his answer’s from the bible and even quotes them. I’m not trying to argue with you, I’m just trying to figure things out.
[/quote]

The KKK gets their arguments from the Bible. So did David Koresh. So do the Mormons.

Again, please let us know what you think is contrary to the Bible and we’ll explain (one topic at a time, please).

God bless,
RyanL

scripturecatholic.com/blessed_virgin_mary.html

scripturecatholic.com/the_church.html#the_church-IV

This site in general is awesome when you want to go verse-for-verse with someone rattling off Scripture out of context:

scripturecatholic.com/

Sorry if I seem like I’m just trying to prove you guys wrong, that’s not why I’m here. I do have one more question that I am really interrested in. The Catholic Bible vs. the Protestant Bible. Which one and why.

[quote=rvl2213]Sorry if I seem like I’m just trying to prove you guys wrong, that’s not why I’m here. I do have one more question that I am really interrested in. The Catholic Bible vs. the Protestant Bible. Which one and why.
[/quote]

Well, the difference is the Protestant Bible has seven less OT books. When the canon of the Bible was first determined (in the 4th century by the Catholic Church) these seven books were in the canon. Martin Luther removed them for various reasons including that they didn’t jive with his theology and that post-Jesus Jews had decided not to accept them (because they were written in Greek for one thing; the NT was also written in Greek by the way).

Here are examples of where these 7 books are referred to in the NT:
scripturecatholic.com/deuterocanon.html

Here is another good read to see what the earliest Christians thought:
catholic.com/library/Old_Testament_Canon.asp

Here’s another great link about the Catholic Bible. It’s called “5 myths about 7 books”, refering to the 7 deuterocanonical books that are in the Catholic Bibles and not in the Protestant Bibles (any more - the first Protestant Bibles still had them!):
catholiceducation.org/articles/apologetics/ap0120.html

Peace be with you,
RyanL

[quote=rvl2213]Just like The Iambic Pen, I am also curious about Catholism. And as I was searching the internet, I came upon these. How do you explain these?

[/quote]

Please, for the sake of serious Protestants who dialogue with Roman Catholics, don’t come in here and cite Jack Chick. He makes it that much harder for the rest of us.
He has no idea what he’s talking about and consistently misrepresents Catholocism. Let’s discuss the issues that actually do exist and not make up problems for the Catholic Church. We have enought to debate about without Chick’s fictitious ramblings.

Ok, I understand that you guys don’t like Jack Chick but please explain to me what’s wrong with him and a couple of examples (please don’t send me another website about him, those aren’t making much sense to me). Tanks

rlv2213,

Here are some examples, from the first link provided to you:

Here are just a few things you will "learn" if you start reading Chick tracts and comic books:

[list]
*]The Catholic Church keeps “the name of every Protestant church member in the world” in a “big computer” in the Vatican for use in future persecutions.[1]
*]But the conspiracy is much broader than this, and it has been going on for a very long time. In the sixth century, for instance, Catholic leaders manipulated the Arabian tribesman Mohammed into creating the religion of Islam to use as a weapon against the Jews and to conquer Jerusalem for the pope.[2]
*]The Jesuits instigated the American Civil War, supporting the Confederate cause and seeking to undermine the Union. When they failed, they arranged the assassination of Abraham Lincoln.[3] Later, they formed the Ku Klux Klan.[4]
*]“Jesuits worked closely with Marx, Engels, Trotsky, Lenin, and Stalin” to create Communism, and it was “believed that soon . . . Communism would rise up as the new strong daughter of the Vatican.”[5] It was Rome that instigated the Bolshevik Revolution and the murder of the czar’s family.[6] The Communist “liberation theology” movement also is a Vatican plot.[7]
*]The Nazi Holocaust of the 1940s was a Vatican-controlled attempt to exterminate Jews and heretics.[8] Further, “Hitler, Mussolini, and Franco were backed by the Vatican for the purpose of setting up a one-world government to usher in the ‘Millennial Kingdom’ under Pope Pius XII.”[9]
*]The Vatican conspiracy is so extensive that, through the Jesuits, Rome controls the Illuminati, the Council on Foreign Relations, international bankers, the Mafia, the Club of Rome, the Masons, and the New Age movement.[10]
*]The Jesuits created the Jehovah’s Witnesses, Mormonism, Unity, Christian Science, and other religious groups.[11]
*]“Pope John Paul II has been a good Communist for many years”[12] and engineered a phony assassination attempt against himself in 1981 to shame Islam into warming relations with the Vatican, since the would-be killer was a Muslim.[13]

Can you see the lunacy yet? RyanL
[/list]

That is pretty crazy

[quote=rvl2213]But he gets all of his answer’s from the bible and even quotes them. I’m not trying to argue with you, I’m just trying to figure things out.
[/quote]

There are many protestants who think they get all their answers from the bible but their hearts are not full of hate like Jack Chick’s is. For some reason, he’s got a real chip on his shoulder when it comes to Catholics.

If you want to learn about what the bible says, attend a Catholic bible study - don’t read one man’s comic strips. Another way to learn the truth about the bible and the Catholic faith is to study history.

[quote=rvl2213]That is pretty crazy
[/quote]

If you think that is bad, wait until you see how he treats the theology! Like I said, no reasonable Christian entity takes him seriously - from CARM, to the Christian Bookstore, this guy is completely nuts. If you’re actually interested in how nuts he is, read the first link you were provided.

Again, if you have specific questions, pick one and we can work from there.

May the Peace of Christ be with you always,
RyanL

rvl2213,

It’s not a matter of us not liking Mr. Chick it’s just that his allegations are so baselessly whackjob that they make us sound like we’re all 2-headed satan worshippers which is patently bunk.

Here is a very long and very concise answer to all the stuff Chick says in his booklets Chick Tracts
Pax tecum,

Not to hi-jack - just please direct me to any appropriate existing threads - but isn’t James White equally as bad, just sans the comics?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.