Just a couple of questions

Happy Easter, everyone!

(Moderators, If I’m posting this in the wrong area on the forums, feel free to move it)

I have 2 questions.

My first question is, before the Eucharist, when the priest is talking about when Jesus takes the bread and gives it to the disciples, as well as when Jesus gives the cup to the disciples, I noticed that after the priest says the part, “Do this in memory of me” people during mass will bow their head, and say a short prayer. What pray is that?? I’m kinda embarrassed to ask because I should probably know that, but I honestly don’t know what pray they are saying, and I want to know.

My other question is regarding The Sign of the Cross. I for sure know how to make The Sign of the Cross, but I notice that some look like they do it multiple times in a row, or they make the sign, but also do it on their lips and heart at the same time? (I’m sorry if that doesn’t make sense, but I don’t know how else to describe it).

I’m just curious if I’m missing something, or has anyone else seen that too? I just want to know what that means, and if I’m supposed to do that too.

Thanks for the help!

After the priest consecrates the bread, some people say a short prayer “my Lord and my God.” After he consecrates the wine some people say a short prayer “My God and my all.” They believe that they will receive some sort of indulgence for doing this (not sure of the details).

Do not be ashamed to ask questions about the mass; many people don’t know a lot about it. I knew very little until I started attending TLM, where the missile is very specific about the various parts of the mass, what they mean, and where they come from.

When the priest or deacon announces the Gospel and you say “Glory to you O Lord,” you make small crosses with your right thumb on your forehead, lips, and breast. (Sorry if you’re already perfectly aware of that! I remember as a kid that it took me the longest time to figure out exactly what people were doing at that point.) Other than before the Gospel, crossing oneself multiple times would just be a personal devotional practice.

I was taught to say “My Lord and My God” at the elevation of the Host and “My Jesus Mercy” at the elevation of the cup. But it wasn’t because of any indulgences,:confused: just an ejaculation (short prayer) at the moment of consecration.

With this I was taught to say: “You are always on my mind, on my lips and in my heart”.

I had never considered what the brief prayer a person may say at moment of consecration. However, I think I would not use this one as it is impossible to get the image of Willy Nelson out of my head. After reading this, that terrible song started going through my head and now it won’t stop.

“My God and my All.”

Why did you have to do that? Now I’m singing it.

Then try something along these lines: “May your Word always in my mind, on my lips, and in my heart.” It shouldn’t give you the “Willies”:wink:

This isn’t done at the moment of consecration…it is done with the proclamation of the Holy Gospel when you make the small crosses on your forehead (always on my mind), across your lips (on my lips) and on your heart (and in my heart). But, now that you mentioned it, now I can visualize Willy…thanks…LOL.

“My Lord and My God” is done with the consecration of the bread and “My God and my all” with the consecration of the wine.

However, it should be said inaudibly.

The prayer that goes with the triple cross: “May the [Word of the] Lord be in my mind, on my lips, and in my heart.”

The proclaimer, be he priest prays more fully “May the Lord be in my mind, on my lips, and in my heart, that I may worthily proclaim the holy Gospel.” If the deacon is a proclaimer of the Gospel (and if present, he’s supposed to be) the priest prays over him, “May the Lord be in your mind, on your lips, and in your heart, that you may worthily proclaim the holy Gospel.”

If, outside the mass, a deacon proclaims the gospel in the absence of a priest, he uses the same form as a priest uses during mass.

Absolutely. Sorry I didn’t make that clear. I don’t even move my lips. :smiley:

From the 2002 General Instruction of the Roman Missal (GIRM) approved for the USA, which can be accessed from romanrite.com/girm.html :

“134. At the ambo, the priest opens the book and, with hands joined, says,* Dominus vobiscum (The Lord be with you)*, and the people respond, Et cum spiritu tuo (And also with you). Then he says, Lectio sancti Evangelii (A reading from the holy gospel), making the sign of the cross with his thumb on the book and on his forehead, mouth, and breast,** which everyone else does as well**. The people say the acclamation Gloria tibi, Domine (Glory to you, Lord). …”

(My bold text.)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.