Just a funny thought

What if I became a priest, my mother or father came to me for confession? I think it'd be rather humorous if they came to me and said, "Forgive me father, for I have sinned." Kind of ironic, hehe.. Just a thing I'd like to share. Oh yeah, also, I think I've given up discerning. I don't think I'd survive the priesthood so I give up.

[quote="Mrmawker, post:1, topic:250474"]
What if I became a priest, my mother or father came to me for confession? I think it'd be rather humorous if they came to me and said, "Forgive me father, for I have sinned." Kind of ironic, hehe.. Just a thing I'd like to share. Oh yeah, also, I think I've given up discerning. I don't think I'd survive the priesthood so I give up.

[/quote]

My Dad and I were talking about that very subject. Hello Dad hey Father or son and so on. It is kinda funny. What is not funny but sad is you are giving up discerning? Please don't we need vocations and many more. I will pray for you that you will at least try to talk to your vocations director. May God Bless Scoob.

That would be very ackward. Would they call you son or Father?

quitters never win and winners never quit. You shouldn’t give up.

My brother-in-law (the youngest in a family of 12) is in a friary and is studying to be a priest. My kids call him Uncle Brother Ben :)

I think that I might ask my priest about this when I see him Wednesday. "Um...do your parents call you father?" :D

Mrmawker, giving up on discerning just because you think you "wouldn't survive" isn't a good excuse. I bet that a lot of current priests felt that way as well when they first thought about it. Please keep discerning.

My vocations director went through this issue with his nieces and nephews, and they call him "Fruncle Joe." Haha. I thought that was cute.

[quote="scoobydoo6v92, post:2, topic:250474"]
My Dad and I were talking about that very subject. Hello Dad hey Father or son and so on. It is kinda funny. What is not funny but sad is you are giving up discerning? Please don't we need vocations and many more. I will pray for you that you will at least try to talk to your vocations director. May God Bless Scoob.

[/quote]

I just don't think I'm the right person for the job here. A priest is called to the priesthood by God himself. He hasn't and never will contact me. I'm just bad credit for the priesthood.

[quote="Paul_Infirdigno, post:3, topic:250474"]
That would be very ackward. Would they call you son or Father?

quitters never win and winners never quit. You shouldn't give up.

[/quote]

I don't consider myself a winner, thats the thing. Giving up isn't what I'd like to see it as. I'd like to see it as figuring out its not for me before I get too far into this. I don't know if a family is for me, but the priesthood seems like a martyrdom I'm not willing to go through with.

[quote="Rahn, post:4, topic:250474"]
My brother-in-law (the youngest in a family of 12) is in a friary and is studying to be a priest. My kids call him Uncle Brother Ben :)

[/quote]

Haha, thats pretty funny for children to be referring to him as both titles.

[quote="CatholicZ09, post:5, topic:250474"]
I think that I might ask my priest about this when I see him Wednesday. "Um...do your parents call you father?" :D

Mrmawker, giving up on discerning just because you think you "wouldn't survive" isn't a good excuse. I bet that a lot of current priests felt that way as well when they first thought about it. Please keep discerning.

My vocations director went through this issue with his nieces and nephews, and they call him "Fruncle Joe." Haha. I thought that was cute.

[/quote]

It wasn't my first thought, though. Its been all of my thoughts after seeing the good parts. I shouldn't be taking care of a parish of hundreds of people when I can't take good care of myself. My discernment has been the same. Nothing. No hint from God, praying or otherwise. If God ignores me why should anyone else be listening?

[quote="Mrmawker, post:9, topic:250474"]
It wasn't my first thought, though. Its been all of my thoughts after seeing the good parts. I shouldn't be taking care of a parish of hundreds of people when I can't take good care of myself. My discernment has been the same. Nothing. No hint from God, praying or otherwise. If God ignores me why should anyone else be listening?

[/quote]

God's not "ignoring" you. His plan for you will be revealed in due time.

[quote="CatholicZ09, post:10, topic:250474"]
God's not "ignoring" you. His plan for you will be revealed in due time.

[/quote]

You know? How do you know He even has a plan for me? My conception was 3 months prior to a miscarriage by my mother. Maybe I wasn't even supposed to exist.

[quote="Mrmawker, post:11, topic:250474"]
You know? How do you know He even has a plan for me? My conception was 3 months prior to a miscarriage by my mother. Maybe I wasn't even supposed to exist.

[/quote]

That is satan talking toyou. rebuke him in the name of the Father Son and Holy Ghost. That is just the evil one trying to derail you. Do you really want him to win??? Of course not go for the priesthood The more I read this thread you probably would be a great priuest and satan knows that. Don't let him win!!! God bless Scoob.

[/quote]

God has a plan for every one of His children. Whether that be marriage, priesthood, single life, or religious life. Every one has a plan from God, period.

Do not say that you weren't supposed to exist. Every single person has a purpose in life.

[/quote]

But you exist! It's not about what was about to happen, but what DID happen. You're just damaging yourself by thinking like that. And yes, God does have a plan for YOU, because He loves you so much. He will show it to you in His time, which is the right time.

Jeremiah 29:11
New International Version (NIV)
11 For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.

Just trust in Him, and NEVER think God ignores you. He doesn't. He's just saying to you, "Trust in me, I know what's best for you."

Maybe priesthood isn't for you as you think, but you never know... Just keep praying and BELIEVE that God works for the good of those who love Him. :thumbsup:

How do you know He even has a plan for me?.

[/quote]

" For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jer 29:11.

Kiddo, you are only 16, you have plenty of time to make decisions about your future. It's still a bit early. It's possible the Lord hasn't said anything to you yet because right now, your course is clear before you: you need to focus on graduating from high school.
If you don't know that God has a plan for every life, you don't know Him too well yet. Get to know God better, concentrate on what you need to do, and you will see your path more clearly when it's time.
God bless.

[quote="scoobydoo6v92, post:12, topic:250474"]
That is satan talking toyou. rebuke him in the name of the Father Son and Holy Ghost. That is just the evil one trying to derail you. Do you really want him to win??? Of course not go for the priesthood The more I read this thread you probably would be a great priuest and satan knows that. Don't let him win!!! God bless Scoob.

[/quote]

It seems Satan's paying more attention to me than God is. I have no business being a priest, and if Satan's paying so much attention to me there would only be trouble awaiting me.

[quote="CatholicZ09, post:13, topic:250474"]
God has a plan for every one of His children. Whether that be marriage, priesthood, single life, or religious life. Every one has a plan from God, period.

Do not say that you weren't supposed to exist. Every single person has a purpose in life.

[/quote]

And how am I supposed to know the plan if he doesn't tell me?

[quote="Mrmawker, post:17, topic:250474"]
And how am I supposed to know the plan if he doesn't tell me?

[/quote]

He'll show it to you whenever he feels it's the right time to do it.

Acts 1:7
New International Version (NIV)
He said to them: “It is not for you to know the times or dates the Father has set by his own authority.

A few things for you:

First, God's not "ignoring" you. Maybe if you spent more time in prayer, you could grow stronger in your faith and His plan for you will be revealed. If you're not listening to Him, you're not going to discern your vocation properly. You're not going to know what to do with your life at all if you don't take time to just listen. The prophets didn't say, "Shut up, God, I'm talking," they said, "Speak, God, I'm listening." That's what you need to start doing.

Second, whether or not you are called to be a priest, you're still going to need God's help in everything you do in your life. Do you really think that if you're not strong enough to be a priest, you're also not strong enough to be a husband and father? Every good priest out there has a very strong prayer life. That's how they get through the day. Every good husband and father gets through their day with a solid prayer life. St. John Vianney spent several hours a day praying in front of the Blessed Sacrament because he knew he couldn't do his job without God's help.

Third, (and you should know this) read your signature and listen to it! The answer for all your problems mentioned here is your signature!

[quote="Mrmawker, post:16, topic:250474"]
It seems Satan's paying more attention to me than God is. I have no business being a priest, and if Satan's paying so much attention to me there would only be trouble awaiting me.

[/quote]

I am 41 years old, I hate that fact!! but it is what it is. I don't feel worthy to be a priest. If someone told me that someday I will be a seminarian I would have laughed and said what I silly notion!! I mastered the banjo (Bela Fleck sound) 30 years ago I would again laughed if someone said "you know in 10 years you will be a great banjo player and sound a lot like Bela Fleck" silly thought but here I am doing it. My point is that God reveals what he wants to at what ever time he sees fit. I have no idea if I will come out of seminary 6 years from now and be a priest. Seminary in the beginning will have Scoob look at Scoob, then after a while Scoob will start looking at Priesthood. I have a good feeling that I will be ordained a priest. Not 5 years ago!! but now I am seeing seminary. After a few years and get experience of seminary under my belt then I can have deacon in my sites. Then priesthood. When you start out on a journey you don't see the destination from your driveway. Seminary is part of discernment to see if God is calling you to priesthood. If not atleast one day you can look back and say I tried and I have no regrets that I shunned God. You know what I mean?? That is how you look at priesthood. How arrogant I was to think I know better than God. Let go relax and let God. Forget satan's attack and trust in God the Father God the Son and God the Holy Ghost. Scoob.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.