Just Because I'm Catholic...

Recently, I tried to join a Protestant forum and was denied the right to join and hold discussion in ‘OTHER CHRISTIAN DENOMINATIONS’ along with Protestant, non-Baptists simply because I’m Catholic.

I have read their 7-page thread about why Catholics can’t join and have read a lot of interesting things as to why we’re not allowed to join and the main reason seems to stem from the fact that at least one Protestant was converted to Catholicism as a result of a Catholic member having been allowed to join. But quite honestly, it looks like fear is the driving factor behind why Catholics aren’t allowed to join. Their forum agreement says NOTHING about being Catholic and not being allowed to post. So to me it’s religious intolerance to ban a Catholic for simply being a Catholic and no other reason. After all, we’re all Christians here, are we not?

My mom wonders why I’d want to post at a forum where they don’t care what I have to say, but to be quite honest … there are quite a few misconceptions constantly posted about us Catholics that could be cleared up in a civil manner of discussion. Not to mention, it’s not fair to call our popes “evil” and then not let us have the opportunity to rebut it.

They claim they’re not anti-Catholic, yet they say Catholicism is errored, have tried to warn people of the damnation that comes from it, that it is heartbreaknig to see the deceit that many have fallen into, and that it is better to try and persuade Catholics from following their false teaching rather than to have sympathy for them because they can’t post at their forum. One of the pastors there evn goes on to say that sympathy for Catholics is a biblical command and sympathy for Catholicism is biblical disobedience. But, quite honestly, where does it say that in the Bible? I don’t even read anything in my Bible that says sympathy for Protestants is a biblical command and sympathy for Protestantism is biblical disobedience. After all, look at how long ago the Bible was written prior to actual organized religion.

The really sad fact to all this is that Catholics are very tolerant and allow Protestants to register at their forums as so long as they respect the Catholic faith. So, why can’t Protestants be the same way? I thought being Christian meant being Christ-like and Christ wouldn’t what they’re doing.

For the record, I love being Catholic and am strong in my faith. So strong that I would NEVER leave the Church. I don’t see us as non-Christians or even mis-guided Christians for that matter. Why must fear and intolerance play such an important role as to why Protestants treat us the way they do? It’s really quite sad. Quite sad indeed.

Yes, a lot of us have seen this behavior. What it comes down to is that the board you attempted to join doesn’t view Catholics as being Christian. We are, in their eyes, little more than a large cult. I’ve heard it all before when I too attempted to “clear up” misconceptions about the Church on these types of boards. Allow me to save a lot of time and aggravation… communicate with those protestants here in this forum and that aren’t so anti-catholic. God bless.

Hi Catholic Girl…this is probably from a board that is renown for this. Remember that owners of sites do not need to be a democratic union and can and do make their own rules.I am MOST impressed about this board for allowing non catholics AND non christians on the site. Some very well meaning but deluded people professing to love the Christ deny RCC being Christian.

Hey there is a squillion sites on the ether…

Here is the fallacy that comes from the “Catholicism is false teaching” argument: If Catholicism is false teaching, then what does that make the original Protestant Churches like the Lutherans and Anglicans? What does that make the Protestant Churches that sprang from those Protestant Churches? How can they be sure of the truth 1500-2000 years after the time of Jesus and the apostles?

LOL When they call us a “cult” it makes me laugh.
They stemmed of us. Our history preceeds theirs. They altered the book we put together. We are much larger then them.
How are we the cult?

Hats off to your mom. She’s right.

There is value to freedom of association and the freedom to establish a place, a website, where people of like mind can congregate and discuss matters. I’ve even seen requests by Catholics at Catholic Answers to create a Catholic-only subforum. There is also value in having different perspectives discuss important matters in a cordial atmosphere where they can disagree in a vigorous yet charitable manner. I think that Catholic Answers serves this latter function very well. Determine which of the two types of approaches you are seeking and then look around. I think there are probably Protestant websites that are similar to the approach taken here at Catholic Answers.

I understand and agree with you; however, they do not define what is and is not a cult based on the size of the following. However, you do have a point. It is like a hair falling out of the nostril of an elephant and then the hair itself claiming, “I am the elephant and you are simply what is left over.”

Let us personify the words “ignorant” and “intelligent” for a moment. For the sake of argument, we will assign “ignorant” to Protestants and “intelligent” to Catholics. I do this simply because Catholics (by enlarge are far more inclusive of our separated brethren than they are of us. The difference between the two camps as we see it is simply those that have some of the truth as opposed to those that have a greater amount of the truth). “Intelligent” can walk down the street and meet and shake hands with anyone he/she encounters because he/she doesn’t feel threatened by being proven wrong. “Ignorant” however, must pick and choose who he/she socializes with because if they select “intelligent,” they could be made to feel irrelevant and insignificant. If they are viewed as being such, potential friends (hopeful prospects to their views) may be swayed toward becoming friends with intelligent. Therefore “ignorant” disassociates itself with potential competition in a vein attempt to gather to themselves others who will believe as they do. Now I ask you… which of the two sounds more “cultish?”

Of course we are a cult…last I looked we fulfill all the requirements of a cult…the head of the cult is God, there is only One path to salvation (that is through Him) et cetera… I hereby proclaim to be a member of the cult of Jesus Christ.

Amen!

I’m pretty sure I know the forum you’re talking about, though the CA people don’t want us to post forum names here for fear people will run off and “swarm” them. Anyway, that forum had a good number of Catholics on it, on the “Other Christian Denominations” section, and you better believe that no anti-Catholic or innocently ignorant assertions went unchallenged. One person there with anti-Catholic leanings commented that the Catholics on that board were the most tenacious he’d ever run into.

Anyway, a few Protestants who joined the forum to, by their own admission, show us Catholics that we were wrong, ended up converting to Catholicism. I know of at least three or four. And then one day 90% of the Catholics, including yours truly, were booted off for “proselytizing” (that is, defending our faith against attacks). And from that day on no new Catholics have been allowed to join.

Even at that, there are a few people now on that forum who are moving (again, by their own admission) from Protestantism to Catholicism. It can be interesting to watch other Protestants defend the Catholic Church against the more rabid attacks. :slight_smile:

And the best part of all, the board’s motto is “The Truth Shall Set You Free”. But not all truths are welcome. :eek:

“After all, we’re all Christians here, are we not?”

If you truly believe that then I look forward to visiting my local catholic church and partaking of communion with them. Since I’m a Christian, I have the right to.

Maybe that board thinks that Catholics are heretics? Or just separated brethren? And when your church lets them partake of communion, they’ll let you participate on the site? Just maybe eh?

I don’t think it’s fear; I think they have the right to run the board the way they wish. I’m glad I can come to this site but if you all changed your mind and forbid protestants from posting, then that would be the webmaster’s right.

Sounds like you meet the prerequisites to be a “one world church” of the end times. :smiley:

Please don’t refer to the church as the cult of Jesus Christ. If you belong to this “cult” then I presume you believe in salvation by faith alone in Christ alone? Peace be with you brother.

"So, why can’t Protestants be the same way? I thought being Christian meant being Christ-like and Christ wouldn’t what they’re doing.

For the record, I love being Catholic and am strong in my faith. So strong that I would NEVER leave the Church. I don’t see us as non-Christians or even mis-guided Christians for that matter. Why must fear and intolerance play such an important role as to why Protestants treat us the way they do? It’s really quite sad. Quite sad indeed."

So why did your church put “us” to death? Over a simple matter of re-baptism? That was “quite sad indeed”.

I see a lot of whining about protestants treat you guys but have you taken a look around at the sarcastic comments about protestants on here? If we’re all Christians how come I can’t go to the catholic church down the street and partake of communion? Yet a catholic can go to just about any protestant church and be allowed to partake. Who’s intolerant?

You can not partake of communion with us because you are not in communion with us. To be in communion is to accept all of our beliefs. Having read several of your threads, here and else were, I can honestly say that you are not in communion with us. Catholics who have commited a grave sin are also told that they should not partake of communion. Children who are not of the age of reason also can not partake of communion in the Latin Rite. We do not just exclude Protestants. I’m sorry that you feel no interest in becoming Catholic. However, it’s good that your here.
My I suggest the CA library here for more research on what Catholics truly believe and what they don’t believe? New Advent is also a really good place to go. Of course your also welcome to post any questions you have about our faith here. :slight_smile:

First of all, thank you for the kind words. It is strange to be welcome on a site where I obviously don’t fit in. Thank you for the links.

As for not being able to partake in communion though, I have to comment on that. Communion is the Lord’s table and I am in fellowship with Him. He alone gives me access to and permission to partake in communinon. It really isn’t about being in fellowship with the catholic church. Also, it’s not that I’m not in communion with the catholic church. They aren’t in communion with me because they refuse to recognize that I am a Christian whereas I recognize that some Catholics are Christian. And maybe even the Catholic church is Christian, although I see them as very mixed up. No reason we can’t get along though.

Thanks again and God bless you.

Your welcome,
You are aware that there are Protestants that practice closed communion are you not? The Orthodox Church’s also practice closed communion. The Catholic Church is NOT the only one that practices closed communion. If I went to an Orthodox Church, or a Baptist church (not sure about all of them) I would not be able to partake of communion simply because I am not in communion with them. They would forbid it, just as the Catholic Church forbids those who are not in communion with us to partake of communion.

They aren’t in communion with me because they refuse to recognize that I am a Christian whereas I recognize that some Catholics are Christian. And maybe even the Catholic church is Christian, although I see them as very mixed up. No reason we can’t get along though.

This is exactly why I provided the links. The Catholic Church teaches that Protestants ARE Christians. The bolded part in your above quote says a LOT! In other words those Catholics who do not believe in all the teachings of the Church are Christians, am I correct? We can’t get along because we do not share the same beliefs. It really is that simple.

catholic.com/library/How_to_Talk_with_Fundamentalist.asp

Here is something I found in the catholic library link you gave me. It was pretty interesting. I’d have to read it more closely to critique it though. But from a first reading it was interesting.

Now, I understand that the church put together the Bible. But they were guided by the Holy Spirit so they aren’t really the authority, the authority is the Bible itself. And even if I am wrong, this still doesn’t prove apostolic succession or that priests are always right, etc. Because I still believe that some of the things the catholic church teaches is way out there. But this article has given me something to think about.

I use to post on a Protestant web site and of course I was known as the “evil” Catholic. I finally got sick of the intolerance. Protestants could say whatever whenever about how horrible the Catholic Church was and as soon as I tried to tell them what the Church truely taught I was censored. Gets real old after a while. I would often ask the moderator what he was afraid of. If Catholicism was so horrible and so easy to disprove, why couldn’t we debate it. Finally he allowed a thread to be started by another Catholic which went well for a while. Then we started to cite the Cathechism of the Catholic Church and that was the end of that. Protestants get real jumpy when it comes to arguing the merits of the Catholic Church especially if the Catholic knows his or her faith. Usually when they can’t defend something the arguement become a personal attack and is ended. I eventually came to this forun and love it. I am surrounded by good orthodox Catholics and Protestants who are truely looking for the truth.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.