JUST Capital and Forbes Release “JUST 100 List”

Nothing earth-shattering but interesting nonetheless (to some).

JUST Capital and Forbes Release “JUST 100 List” Ranking Companies Performing Best on American Public’s Priorities

NEW YORK (November 30, 2016) — JUST Capital and Forbes today released the inaugural “JUST 100 List,” which ranks the publicly traded companies in America that perform best on the priorities of the American public. This is the first-ever annual ranking of how America’s top companies perform on the issues Americans care most about. The rankings are based on one of the largest surveys ever conducted on attitudes towards corporate behavior, involving 50,000 Americans over the last 18 months. This year’s list ranks U.S companies against their peers within 32 major industries. In future years, Forbes and JUST Capital will rank companies across industries.

For the complete list and more, visit: forbes.com/just100. The inaugural JUST 100 ranking of America’s most just companies will appear in Forbes magazine’s December 20 “Impact and Philanthropy” issue.

justcapital.com/just-press/2016/11/30/final-press-release

Memo to Corporate America: Pay more. Treat people better.

Pay, benefits and how well companies respect their employees are the biggest concerns for most American workers, according to a list of companies released Wednesday by Forbes Media based on research conducted by JUST Capital, a nonprofit chaired by hedge fund mogul Paul Tudor Jones II.

Some conclusions are not surprising: Conservatives care most about U.S. job creation. Liberals favor fair pay.

But others are more unexpected: Baby Boomers and Gen X-ers (ages 35 to 64) care most about pay. Millennials care most that companies do not discriminate in any way, shape or form when hiring, firing and promoting.

The purpose of the poll was to learn specifically how Americans define a “just” company, said Martin Whittaker, the chief executive of JUST Capital.

He said the poll accurately reflects America’s broad view of business because it included more than 50,000 people, and was balanced with the U.S. Census.

“The number one issue, by far, across all demographic groups is paying a fair wage,” Whittaker said in a telephone interview Wednesday. “That was the number one thing — no matter how much money you made, no matter how you vote, no matter how old you are.”

washingtonpost.com/news/business/wp/2016/11/30/memo-to-corporate-america-pay-more-treat-people-better/?utm_term=.2171bd1b3863

The Just 100: America’s Best Corporate Citizens

**The Just 100 Industry Leaders**
    Rockwell Collins
    Ford Motor
    Silicon Valley Bank
    Fluor
    Legg Mason
    Eastman Chemical
    Verisk Analytics
    American Express
    Whirlpool
    Marriott International
    Oceaneering International
    Sysco
    PepsiCo
    Varian Medical Systems
    Humana
    Colgate-Palmolive
    XL Group
    Alphabet
    Accenture
    Cummins
    Freeport-McMoRan
    Discovery Communications
    Pioneer Natural Resources
    Amgen
    Jones Lang LaSalle
    CarMax
    Nvidia
    Microsoft
    F5 Networks
    AT&T
    Southwest Airlines
    Exelon

forbes.com/just-companies/#237770419ab9

An interesting read just looking at
Companies and how they rate
ACCORDING TO the average
American.

A long time ago, when certain Japanese methods of production were suddenly popular in the U.S. (“Just in time” inventorying and production, being among them) I had a business relationship as an outside expert with a very large industry. Until it consciously adopted those methods, it had been a “paternalistic” sort of company with very good employee relations. After the adoption of the new methods, I noticed the extreme work requirements placed on people and the rapid attrition of people in upper echelons. And the higher the position, the more rapid the attrition. Goals were almost impossibly high, and people had a lot of difficulty meeting them. It developed until it represented much of the worst anybody thinks about “Corporate America” multiplied times ten. Profits did soar, though.

It struck me one day (and I actually quipped to one officer with whom I worked) that, they had not only imported some of the more obvious Japanese production philosophies, they inadvertently adopted “Bushido” as well. Everybody who wasn’t a “peasant” had to be a “Samurai”, utterly loyal to one’s overlord, deadly in carrying out directives, and simultaneously quick to cut down rivals. And loyalty to one’s overlord could instantly turn into a deadly sword fight as well. “Peasants” were largely left alone, but also had nearly-impossible production requirements to meet.

And this was a company that had no foreign competition to speak of.

I don’t know, but I suspect a great deal of corporate America has become like that. This is not intended as a cultural attack on the Japanese, but sometimes emulation of imported concepts has unfortunate results.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.