Just converted to the Church and struggling with vocation

Today I need to make a decision whether to take a job teaching animation in the fall or not. I was just confirmed this Easter, and I went to communion and adoration for about a half hour, and I am really feeling tormented right now. I feel like God wants me to be a religious and teach theology (which is something I have sensed and feared for a while, but am afraid to do).

I believe I have real skill as an artist, and I have been tormented by the fact that I’m piddling away on small commissions when I could actually be working in animation, and I was originally going to chapel to discern whether to take up the teaching job or try to earnestly get a storyboarding job. After Adoration, I feel spiritually attacked and really depressed and mentally unstable. Right now I am constantly being tempted to be resentful and belligerent towards God about where I’m at right now emotionally and mentally, but I know that God is working through this somehow.

I still have work I need to do, and other responsibilities, and I just wanted to ask that you pray that 1. I wouldn’t sin mortally in this time of trial, and 2. I wouldn’t let my mental instability rob me of being productive, and 3. that I would make the right decision and be obedient to God’s will.

What do you really want to do? You can serve God in so many things not just by being a religious and in theolgy… Read about the LIfe of St. JOsemaria… He says that we can find God in the midst of the most ordinary things in life… Even if you are just a janitor, a chef, a housewife…a student. no matter what state you are in life… if you constantly seek God, you will find him in your daily life, in the most ordinary things. That is why it is very important we that we do our best in everything that we do because we can offer it to God…

Continue praying for your petitions but you also have to do your part in seeking for the opportunities… May God bless you in your faith and life journey

O Sacred Heart of Jesus,
filled with infinite love,
broken by my ingratitude,
pierced by my sins,
yet loving me still;
accept the consecration
that I make to You
of all that I am
and all that I have.
Take every faculty
of my soul and body
and draw me,
day by day,
nearer and nearer
to Your Sacred Heart,
and there,
as I can understand the lesson,
teach me Your blessed ways. Amen.

What is motivating your options? Money? Would you be storyboarding for the church or freelance?

Praying for you to make the right decision. What would make you happiest?

:bible1:
Do not let your hearts be troubled. You have
faith in God; have faith also in me.
John 14:1

:gopray2:
St. Michael the archangel, defend us in battle. Be our defense against
the wickedness and snares of the devil. May God rebuke him we
humbly pray, and do thou O Prince of the heavenly hosts, by the
Power of God, cast into hell satan and all the evil spirits who prowl
throughout the world, seeking the ruin of souls.
Amen

In every need let me come to You with humble trust, saying:
Jesus, help me!
In all my doubts, perplexities and temptations:
Jesus, help me!
In hours of loneliness, weariness and trials:
Jesus, help me!
In the failure of my plans and hopes, in disappointments, troubles and sorrows:
Jesus, help me!
When others fail me, and Your grace alone can assist me:
Jesus, help me!
When I throw myself on Your tender Love as a Father and Savior:
Jesus, help me!
When my heart is cast down by failure, at seeing no good come from my efforts:
Jesus, help me!
When I feel impatient, and my cross irritates me:
Jesus, help me!
When I am ill, and my head and hands cannot work and I am lonely:
Jesus, help me!
Always, always, in spite of weakness, falls and shortcomings of every kind:
Jesus, help me and never forsake me.
Amen

Father, I know You love me and have plans for me.
But sometimes I am overwhelmed by the thought
of my future.
Show me how to walk forward one day at a time.
May I take heart while I search openly, learn all
about the choices, listen to others for advice, and
pay attention to my own feelings. By doing these
things, may I hear Your call to live a life that will
let me love as only I can, and allow me to serve
others with the special gifts You have given me.
Amen

=Bdonoho;12903760]Today I need to make a decision whether to take a job teaching animation in the fall or not. I was just confirmed this Easter, and I went to communion and adoration for about a half hour, and I am really feeling tormented right now. I feel like God wants me to be a religious and teach theology (which is something I have sensed and feared for a while, but am afraid to do).

I believe I have real skill as an artist, and I have been tormented by the fact that I’m piddling away on small commissions when I could actually be working in animation, and I was originally going to chapel to discern whether to take up the teaching job or try to earnestly get a storyboarding job. After Adoration, I feel spiritually attacked and really depressed and mentally unstable. Right now I am constantly being tempted to be resentful and belligerent towards God about where I’m at right now emotionally and mentally, but I know that God is working through this somehow.

I still have work I need to do, and other responsibilities, and I just wanted to ask that you pray that 1. I wouldn’t sin mortally in this time of trial, and 2. I wouldn’t let my mental instability rob me of being productive, and 3. that I would make the right decision and be obedient to God’s will.

My friend:)

God who can be describes as “ALL Good things Perfected” can only DO good; but can and does permit “evil” as man’s own self destructive freewill choice.

John 14:27
“Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, do I give unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, nor let it be afrai”

Romans 15:13
“Now the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing; that you may abound in hope, and in the power of the Holy Ghost”

John 20:19
Now when it was late that same day, the first of the week, and the doors were shut, where the disciples were gathered together, for fear of the Jews, Jesus came and stood in the midst, and said to them: Peace be to you.
John 20:21 “He said therefore to them again: Peace be to you. As the Father hath sent me, I also send comes from Satan not God.you.”

To determine God’s Will for you; BE AT PEACE:) Seek to do what God is directing you too is the way to find it. TALK to you’re Pastor who is trained to guide you in discernment issues.:thumbsup:

I spent MANY years in Sales before answering Gods call to TEACH our Catholic Faith. Even now I consider myself "selling’ Catholicism as much as teaching it…

Pray much! Agitation comes from Satan not God.

Patrick

I’ve heard this same story from recent converts. They describe it as soaring on a sacramental “high” and they start having these grand visions of conquering the world for Christ, being a priest/religious, and an all-around ROBO-CATHOLIC!:smiley:

The reality is, we are called to be apostles in our everyday lives, wherever we are at. I wouldn’t make any major life decisions right now. Enjoy your “honeymoon” period as you embark on this new phase of life. Look for small ways to be faithful to Our Lord in your every day life (prayer, sacraments, outreach to friends and neighbors, etc…). If you are meant to be a religious, then God’s call will not fade.

BTW,

you need to update your profile. It should say “Catholic” instead of"Joining RCIA"

Welcome home :wink:

Gracious and merciful Father, please come to their assistance.

Our Father, who art in Heaven, hallowed be thy name.
Thy kingdom come, thy will be done, on Earth as it is in Heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread,
and forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us.
And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil.
Amen.

Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou among women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb Jesus.
Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death.
Amen.

Glory Be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.
As it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be, world without end.
Amen.

I have a dear friend who is a Franciscan Friar, soon to be ordained as a priest, who came to the order as a naturally talented and gifted artist. He has become an iconographer within the order. Nothing is impossible with God!

Peace and all Good!

[INDENT][INDENT][INDENT][INDENT]**I believe in God, the Father Almighty, Creator of Heaven and earth;
and in Jesus Christ, His only Son Our Lord,
Who was conceived by the Holy Spirit, born of the Virgin Mary, suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified, died, and was buried.
He descended into Hell; the third day He rose again from the dead;
He ascended into Heaven, and sitteth at the right hand of God, the Father almighty; from thence He shall come to judge the living and the dead.
I believe in the Holy Spirit, the holy Catholic Church, the communion of saints, the forgiveness of sins, the resurrection of the body and life everlasting.
Amen. **[/INDENT][/INDENT][/INDENT][/INDENT]

:thumbsup:

As an RCIA instructor I love watching catechumens develop that enthusiasm and joy that is absolutely contagious. But it has been my experience that seminaries and religious orders hold off on accepting converts for a few years, and perhaps with good reason. In this area, 1 out of 3 catechumens are no longer practicing 3 years out from initiation. :shrug: That doesn’t mean you can’t spread the joy of the Gospel which you probably already are. Take this time to learn and understand the call to holiness Christ extends not just to priest and religious but to the married as well. If you are called to the religious life, this exploration will make you a better one.

[INDENT][INDENT][INDENT][INDENT]**I believe in God, the Father Almighty, Creator of Heaven and earth;
and in Jesus Christ, His only Son Our Lord,
Who was conceived by the Holy Spirit, born of the Virgin Mary, suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified, died, and was buried.
He descended into Hell; the third day He rose again from the dead;
He ascended into Heaven, and sitteth at the right hand of God, the Father almighty; from thence He shall come to judge the living and the dead.
I believe in the Holy Spirit, the holy Catholic Church, the communion of saints, the forgiveness of sins, the resurrection of the body and life everlasting.
Amen. **[/INDENT][/INDENT][/INDENT][/INDENT]

How do we deal with ambitions?
By being a little detached from them,
“God whatever you want me to do! And I know I’ll keep up my art, because you gave me that talent to USE it. And you gave me my hobbies to USE them.”

Religious vocation is something you discern with a spiritual director and vocation director of the order or diocese over a year or two after meeting with them.

Anyway its never certain. Its only ever certain that God wants a person to discern yes or no. God can call a person to seminary but call them back out. To teach them things there.

Religious can have a ministry in art! If that is where yoy decide.

How do you stop spiritual attack from satan?

Look at the emptiness of things you want that you don’t have. List all their disadvantages. Turn off your appeal towards them.
Think of and list all your blessings where you are, and the people you help where you are.
Speak back in your mind at the temptations continually as they speak to you, eg “Nope, I love God where I am, I can use art wherever I am, My family and friends come first -who will help them if I’m gone? Satan be gone, I will have loads of time and opportunities to use art, I can illustrate books in the evenings or anything! God will use my gift. I Can be patient”
Make up your own backanswering to temptations (usually think the opposite of them).
Believe the positive hopes and thoughts 100% ans satan will run from you.
Never think the negative, that gives satan ground, always think of what you look forward to and what.you will do, not the opposite

On your death bed you will not regret helping anyone in whatever way God asked you as you face an Eternity of working for God as His artist in Heaven

Hail Mary, full of grace.
The Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou among women,
and blessed is the fruit of thy womb,
Jesus.
Holy Mary, Mother of God,
pray for us sinners,
now and at the hour of our death.
Amen.

Our Father, Who art in heaven,
Hallowed be Thy Name.
Thy Kingdom come.
Thy Will be done, on earth as it is in Heaven.

Give us this day our daily bread.
And forgive us our trespasses,
as we forgive those who trespass against us.
And lead us not into temptation,
but deliver us from evil.

Amen. †

Hail Mary,
Full of Grace,
The Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou among women,
and blessed is the Fruit
of thy womb, Jesus.

Holy Mary,
Mother of God,
pray for us sinners now,
and at the hour of death.

Amen. †

Saint Michael, the archangel, defend us in battle,
be our defense against the wickedness and snares
of the devil, may God rebuke him, we humbly pray.
And do you, O’ Prince of the Heavenly host, by the
power of God thrust into Hell Satan and all the other
evil spirits who prowl about the world for the ruin of souls.

Amen. †

St. Thérèse of Liseux Prayer From “Story of A Soul”

May today there be peace within.
May you trust God that you are exactly where you are meant to be.
May you not forget the infinite possibilities that are born of faith.
May you use those gifts that you have received,
and pass on the love that has been given to you.
May you be content knowing you are a child of God.
Let this presence settle into your bones,
and allow your soul the freedom to sing, dance, praise, and love.
It is there for each and every one of us.

Amen. †

Lord, thank you that you are with me right now.
Your love surpasses all fear.
I give you the anxiety I feel.
I surrender all my worries to you.
Clear my mind;
Calm my heart;
Still my Spirit;
Relax my being, that, I may
always glorify you in everything
I write, speak and do.

Amen. †

:signofcross: :blessyou:

Saint Michael, the archangel, defend us in battle, be our defense against the wickedness and snares of the devil, may God rebuke him, we humbly pray. And do you, O’ Prince of the Heavenly host, by the power of God thrust into Hell Satan and all the other evil spirits who prowl about the world for the ruin of souls.

Amen.

Our Father who art in Heaven, hallowed be thy name.

Thy kingdom come, thy will be done on Earth as it is in Heaven.

And forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us.

Amen.

Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee.

Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the fruit of your womb Jesus.

Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death.

Amen.

Hi OP,

Please give yourself more time. One of the common things with newly converts are that feeling very zealous about their faith, they try to convert everybody, or get too deep too fast (considering religious vocation) or suffer from too much scrupulosity. I am not saying you are not called to this, this is between God and yourself, just saying these are common observations, priests have commented on them, and usually if you are young enough they would advise you to wait a bit (1-2 years) after your conversion before you consider such a vocation seriously.

Praying for peace in your soul!

God bless you!

P.S.: Feelings of desolation are not from God, ask yourself where these feelings lead you to. Here is some very useful reference on discerning God’s will and the spirits:

ignatianspirituality.com/making-good-decisions/an-approach-to-good-choices/how-ignatian-spirituality-gives-us-a-way-to-discern-gods-will

Praying that you discern God’s will for you…

Our Father who art in Heaven,
hallowed be thy name.
Thy kingdom come, thy will be done
on Earth as it is in Heaven.
And forgive us our trespasses,
as we forgive those who trespass against us.
Amen.

Hail Mary, full of grace,
the Lord is with thee.
Blessed are you among women,
and blessed is the fruit of your womb Jesus.
Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners,
now and at the hour of our death.
Amen.

Glory Be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.
As it was in the beginning is now ever shall be world without end
Amen.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.