Just Don't Know

How the hell…do I know…what is true? Catholicism? Protestantism? Orthodoxism? WHICH ONE! I HATE LIFE!

Each say theirs is right…THAT ISN’T ENOUGH! WHERE IS PROOF!

I need help…

:bighanky: :crying:

What sort of proof are you asking for?

It isn’t the most popular answer but if there was absolute proof, what would be the point of faith?

Also, your signature is not true. Catholicism does not say that we are the only Christians.

True life is in the spirit, not the man labels religion.

It is about commitment to Him, then to His.

It is ok not to know all things, in time the spirit will place truth needed by The Father in you heart.

No, that’s quite true. It is far more likely that non-Catholic Christians will deny that Catholics are Christians than the other way around.

The Catholics reserve their denial of Christianity to a select few. Like Mormons.

Religion is not science. One cannot prove in a scientific manner that one religion is true, while another is not, any more than one can prove that the man giving a woman a ring is doing it because he loves her.

Your relationship with God is a very subjective thing…and it SHOULD be subjective; it is a spiritual link between the Savior and you, between God and you…nobody else can do this for you, or prove it to you, or experience it for you.

He who wants to know what is right…take Jame’s advice: James 1:5-6
If any of you lack wisdeom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not, and it shall be given him. But let him ask in faith, nothing wavering. For he that wavereth is like a wave of the sea driven with the wind and tossed.

So. Go. Ask. Use your faith; If God is there, and His Word is found in the bible–and in the religion you are asking about, then He has promised to answer you. You will get the answer you need.

It may not be quick, and it may not be the one you want, and it may be hard to hear. But you’ll get it.

Consider yourself fortunate. A lot of us haven’t gotten as far as you.

Irini Passi.

I think it is all about what you want to believe. I am obviously Catholic for a reason and other people are Protestant for a reason.
What church do you currently attend?

If you want the seven sacraments, Jesus TRULY present in the Eucharist, the Pope, Mary, the Communion of Saints, the liturgy, the mass, the 7 books that are not present in the Eucharist, celibate Priests, the church that was set up by Jesus Christ himself…

The one thing I like about the Catholic church is the majority of the Churches do the exact same things. One church doesnt completly differ with the one down the road. We should be reading the same scripture that day… etc. etc. However, if you jump from Protestant church to Protestant church you will find some different beliefs in the same denomination, as well as different bible versus being read.

Faith through works or just faith alone.

The rosary, the stations of the cross, perpetual adoration,… the list could go on and on.

I know this may sound cheesy to say, but in the Catholic Church there are more “things” you can do to show devotion and true worship…

It depends on what you agree with.
Hope this helps,
Kristan

I disagree. I think the Mormons are ‘Christian’ in a very broad sense, since they do claim to follow Christ, albeit that they are very unorthodox and, by this I mean no offence, in the view of the Church, heretical.
Tristan, I have pleaded with you so long. I know you don’t like to hear me speak of the Church, heck, I know you don’t much care for me, either, but I’ve shown you so much proof… Read the Church Fathers if you want to see what Early Christianity was like. Don’t look for vain attempts people have written to try and make them look Protestant. Read them and interpret them on your own. It will be very clear that the early Church was Catholic if you read all that was written in context. Does that make the Church true? No, but it is a good piece of evidence. No amount of debating will change your heart, but God will.
You let the words of some disturbed Catholics and heretics who claim to be Catholic turn you away from the Church. You let the attitudes and words of men turn you away from her. Look at her, not at a single believer within her. Look to the Bible first and foremost, and then to the Catechism to interpret it. Then you will see the real teachings of the Church, untouched by the words of people like me.
Look at these quotes if you’re willing, they show even more evidence for the Early Church being Catholic: catholic.com/library/fathers_know_best.asp
God loves you. In the Church you will find Him fully.
Is it really logical, to think that we have the right to interpret Scripture however we wish? How can this be justified? How is it that we are to be led to the truth? It is true that the Holy Spirit is with us, I do not deny this, but tell me, how can it be that God is guiding all of these Protestants, if they have so many different ideas? What happens when Protestants disagree, and I am sorry to make such a broad statement for all people separated from the Church, but it is the best I can do. When they disagree, they split and form their own group. Look to Acts. They had councils, they did not form their own denomination! The Church was one.
It was no spiritual body! It was a physical body of believers, is that not clear? And no one can claim to be this very body with more evidence than the Church.

I agree with all of this. Firstly, as Catholics, we believe that salvation is only through Jesus Christ, and also that there will be non-Catholics and non-Christians in Heaven, all saved by Christ. The Church regards as Christian all those who have faith in the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, the same beliefs in them as defined (not invented) at Nicaea, Ephesus, etc. Hence why if you convert and were already baptized in a church that shares this belief, you won’t have to be baptized again. Obviously others are “Christian” in another sense, believing in and worshipping Jesus Christ as savior. The Church uses the former definition however in defining its baptismal and ecumenical relationships with other churches.

And from your signature, it looks like you have read the Bible and prayed, etc. Keep doing all of that. You need to look into Christian doctrinal history and compare it with what you have read in the Bible and what you know about Catholicism, Orthodoxy, the various Protesant churches, etc. We all can’t be right, even if we may all share certain beliefs. So, compare what you find to the Bible. Look to what the early Christians believed from the writings that we have. Look at the arguments for each church you are investigating, and do the same comparisons.

It may help if you let us know specifically what you are having difficulty with! :slight_smile: :thumbsup:

If three men enter a house one through the front door, another through the back door, and the third through a window, they are all inside.

Although I do not wish to derail this thread, I’m fairly sure the LDS have their own opinions of what the Catholics are too :smiley:

One more piece of advice… before you compare anything, always make sure you understand what they teach about it.

Who is right? Who is wrong? Who believes and makes peace with their own imperfect knowledge?

Regarding the Mormons and others of that ilk: Some groups deny themselves the proper usage of the identifier “Christian” by virtue of their extremely unorthodox understanding of what that label means. The Mormons are one such group. Do not blame the Church for what you yourselves reject.

Mormons will use the broad definition of “a believer and worshipper of Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior” to define a Christian. Don’t fall into the trap of turning this into a discussion of whether Mormons are Christian. :wink: They are Christians according to one definition, not others (such as what the Church uses as a definition in discerning baptisms and ecumenical relations), just like how some evangelicals may not include Catholics as Christians based on some other definition. That’s about it, whether we like it or not.

:banghead:

Even that’s not correct :o the RC position is closer to Calvinist position: Mormonism in itself bad, Mormon persons can be exemplary. FWIW, atheists can be saved - that is Cath. doctrine. So if they can, so can anyone else

Which isn’t going to be any substitute for saying Mormonism is authentically Christian, granted.

(Quote) I read the Bible, pray, am convicted when I sin, hate sin, love God, preach Christ, hate when people blaspheme, cried about Christ’s death, hate Satan, am hated for His sake, confess Christ as Lord and Savior…and I’m not really a saved Christian because I don’t subscribe to Catholicism? (end Quote)

Oh, Tristan, with all that going for you, what can we say. You have the proof. The evil one has powerful tools and he knows well how to use them when he is on the edge of losing. Call on the Holy Spirit every waking hour to permeate your whole being with the faith you need to believe in the whole truth of God. Please don’t give up, God loves you, you belong to Him,he will never forsake you. I feel you are in all our prayers.Carlan

I haven’t read the other responses, but I’m sure that there are lots of good ones.

The first step to finding the truth is to acknowledge the fact (truth) that there can be only one truth.

Truth doesn’t contradict truth, so the popular notion that there are many truths, obviously, can’t be true. “What’s true for me” sounds like a polite way of being sensitive to other people’s beliefs, but when you **believe **that there is more than one truth, you haven’t found the “truth for you” and admit that others might have a “different truth”, you’re really saying that there is no definitive truth, that there is no such thing as truth.

So, the first step to finding the truth is to know that truth is a reality. Not one reallity for me and another for you, but an absolute reality. Truth is universal.

OK, I read some of the other responses and am adding that it **is **possible to know the truth. God is truth and of course He wouldn’t keep it from us.

If our purpose is to love and serve the Lord, of course we can know truth.

I’m in favor with Catholicism after talking with a friend…

You believe in Christ, so you’ve got that part right.

Matthew 16:18 “And I tell you, you are Peter,and on this rock I will build my church and the gates of Hades will not prevail against it. I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven, and whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven.”

Which Church started with Peter, formerly Simon bar Jonah, and has been going ever since?

Did it start with Luther? Or Joseph Smith? Or Ellen White? Or John Calvin? Or (pardon me) the old reprobate, Henry VIII?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.