"Just for Catholics"

A man I have been in correspondence with, Dr. Joe Mizzi, runs the site Just For Catholics. He and I have been in discussions over the propitiatory nature of the Mass, and began speaking about the Real Presence. He referred me to this page on his website. Much of it has been successfuly argued against in Keating’s Catholicism and Fundamentalism, but what do you all think of it? I can say, for instance, that the argument that John doesn’t include the Insitution of the Eucharist can be easily rebutted by remembering that John was writing after the other gospels, and therefore he had no need to, as he had no need to write about much else in the synoptics, because it was already written down, and because the purpose of his gospel was getting a better theological understanding on the events, not making a copy of the other three gospels.

You’re in correspondence with him?? Man, that dude never replied to my email. Oh well. catholicchallenger.blogspot.com/2005/03/mizzi-stones-peter.html

Sorry, but I can’t even muster up the strength to read it. I get so bored of reading these same accusations over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again. My eyes begin to glaze over.

I clicked on the JPII link. Anyone who still uses the tired old “call no man father” argument loses all credibility. I wish these guys would come up with something new. They have to know those things are easily refuted yet they keep posting them to lure poorly catechized Catholics to their ministry. It’s quite underhanded and deceptive.

I’m not in correspondence with him anymore. At least, he is done sending messages to me. I am just trying to start a good thread going, then maybe invite him here to rebut our rebuttals.

“Doctor”? Where did he get his degree? I’d like to know that much.

Don’t even visit that cross Maltese! I encountered that site several years ago.

Here’s a quote from his bio:

I was born in Malta, 1966. My country is a densely populated island in the center of the Mediterranean. Malta is mentioned in the book of Acts (chapter 28) - the vessel taking the apostle Paul to Rome was shipwrecked on our shores.

Joe at work on the websiteI am a paediatrician employed in an acute hospital, taking care of critically ill babies and children. I love kids. Spending an average of 60 hours a week at the hospital, the work is both demanding and rewarding. There are also sad moments. Yesterday, a 4 day old premature baby girl passed away because her lungs were too stiff. Sometimes modern neonatology and our best efforts are simply not good enough. On the other hand, there are other situations where our work makes all the difference between life and death. During the same duty, I diagnosed a case of the deadly Meningococcal meningitis. The three month old girl should do well and recover completely.

I am a member of a Reformed Baptist church www.tecmalta.org. If you ever visit Malta (whether for historical interest or just to enjoy the sun and the sea), you’re welcome to visit our fellowship.

I was brought up in a devout Catholic family. I thank God for my parents and my Catholic teachers who taught me the fear of the Lord as best as they knew how.

John

I argued Joe into a corner once and haven’t been back since. Good luck dealing with him. Even if you win the argument he will just change the subject.

Don’t they know that the Bible has more than a couple dozen verses?

How about the quotes from Augustine on there? Does anyone have the source for those so we can look at the context?

[quote=BlueMit11]How about the quotes from Augustine on there? Does anyone have the source for those so we can look at the context?
[/quote]

Well, here’s everything all the Early Church Fathers wrote, which includes Augustine

earlychurchfathers.org/

If “Doctor” Mizzi is quoting Augustine, it would be on this site.

I’ve debated the guy over several e-mails. He uses the church fathers totally out of context, as well as scripture. He uses very little scripture to substantiate his claims. If you do look at his site, he misrepresents Catholic teaching in nearly every article he writes, which proves that he never understood it to begin with.

The best part is, when he’s backed into a corner, he totally changes the subject. He doesn’t even view Catholics as Christians!!! :eek:

Don’t waste your time.

I have also had the good pleasure of talking with Joe.

We were never able to get past the whole idea of who has the authority to interpret the bible, and who can correctly interpret the bible.

He does, indeed, change the subject, when he’s losing an argument.
It is frustrating that I have come across this strategy by several evangelicals.

Good advice. Mizzi is a hard core anti-Catholic. It is not worth anyone’s time or effort to initiate dialogue with him. :nope:

Let’s invite Joe to this board, hee hee.

he’ll never come…he claims he’s too busy, yet this is the perfect place for him to “Evangelize”…I’ve invited him several times.

I invited him as well. He seemed good natured over e-mail (as much as anyone can tell that a person is good natured via e-mail), and I was as ecumenical to him as I could be. I asked him to pray for me, so if he is, I view that as an accomplishment. Since our argument was over the propitiatory nature of the Mass, I pray for him frequently when I pray for a better understanding in the world (and myself) of the Eucharist. I am disapointed that he cut off correspondence with me, and I told him in a polite way that I hoped he wasn’t just aiming to convert Catholics who knew little about their faith. If someone has a sincere effort to “convert” Catholics, shouldn’t they engage in discussion with those who have a knowledge of their faith? If his efforts aren’t sincere, is he really being Christian? I know none of you can answer these, but I guess those are just questions we can pose to our brothers and sisters who try to evangelize to us. Lead them to question their sincerity.

[quote=BlueMit11]A man I have been in correspondence with, Dr. Joe Mizzi, runs the site Just For Catholics. He and I have been in discussions over the propitiatory nature of the Mass, and began speaking about the Real Presence. He referred me to this page on his website. Much of it has been successfuly argued against in Keating’s Catholicism and Fundamentalism, but what do you all think of it? I can say, for instance, that the argument that John doesn’t include the Insitution of the Eucharist can be easily rebutted by remembering that John was writing after the other gospels, and therefore he had no need to, as he had no need to write about much else in the synoptics, because it was already written down, and because the purpose of his gospel was getting a better theological understanding on the events, not making a copy of the other three gospels.
[/quote]

A possible reason for St. John’s silence, is a desire to

avoid profanation of the Eucharist by non-Christians. Therefore, he omits it :slight_smile: ##

The Eucharist by Father William Casey… (Stream)
or download it here.

You will need Real Player,

Someone could pass it on to him?

Joao

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.