Just found out some of my teammates might be racist

When I came to college earlier this year, I joined the university debate team. I was put into the novice division of a national ranked team, so needless to say, it's been just a bit dramatic. I was partnered with another novice for parlimentary debate, and we've butted heads occasionally, as partners are prone to do.

As of recently, as the season has heated up, I've recieved a string of mass e-mails from the coaches rebuking the team for the drama and gossip that's been occuring within the team. I usually just brushed it off because I'm the sort of person that stays outside of "the ring," and I'm never in on the latest rumor that circulates.

The coach recently dropped a bombshell though.

He sent out a message saying that in spring everyone will be required to attend a "gender and race sensitivity" training session (whatever that is) because there have been reports and rumors circulating within the team that some members are racist or have been subjected to bigoted behavior. :eek:

I'm in shock quite honestly. I enjoy being on the team a lot but this is just a bit much. I immediately e-mailed my debate partner, who I believe is of Indian American ethnicity, and assured him that I never had any thoughts of that sort toward him whatsoever.

I don't really know if I want to be on the team anymore though.

The drama that was going on before was annoying, but it was easy enough to displace myself from it. But this... I don't know if I can deal with this. I don't know if I want to be involved in something where such behavior is taking place.

What do you guys think?

I hope that you won't leave the team. It's upsetting to be presented with evidence of such betrayal of humanity, and probably you'll find some of this unbrotherly attitude hidden in some individuals anywhere in society, and you can't opt out of society, so hopefully you won't opt out of your debate team.
You provide a healthy balance and weight the team in favor of brotherhood of fellow humans, so I hope you won't deny yourself or the team of the benefits you offer!
Stay strong and be the good influence that you are! :)

Thank you Trishie. I suppose you're right. There are probably far more people out there who secretly harbor such feelings than it seems. It's tragic, but a fact of life.

I did get in touch with my debate partner and we mutually assured eachother that neither had any such feelings of the sort toward the other. So that was a relief. But I don't know about the rest of the team...Now I feel like I'm going to be walking around them looking over my shoulder wondering if this or that person is someone who has admitted to being racist.

Sigh :o

\The drama that was going on before was annoying, but it was easy enough to displace myself from it. But this… I don’t know if I can deal with this. I don’t know if I want to be involved in something where such behavior is taking place.\

**So your debate coach is trying to do something about racism and sexism on the debate team.

This is wrong because…???

Or are you saying you don’t like to be around sinenrs–when you are aware of their sins?**

closed #5

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.