Just got my confirmation at 35-now what?

Hi there. I'm 35 and just got my confirmation almost 2 weeks ago. I'm single and I"ve never dated nor have I ever had a girlfriend before.... So I'm wondering, now that I've recived my sacrament of confirmation, what should I do? How can I know/discern/discover what my vocation/mission is?

I know our vocation is first of all-holiness and being a child of God and love....

Thanks....

Id recommend first of all, prayer to discern your vocation.

[quote="Jacinto1977sd, post:1, topic:322671"]
Hi there. I'm 35 and just got my confirmation almost 2 weeks ago. I'm single and I"ve never dated nor have I ever had a girlfriend before.... So I'm wondering, now that I've recived my sacrament of confirmation, what should I do? How can I know/discern/discover what my vocation/mission is?

I know our vocation is first of all-holiness and being a child of God and love....

Thanks....

[/quote]

You have worked hard and long to be a Catholic. So, relax and say your prayers and enjoy being one of us!
Dating and seeking out a vocation have something in common: the harder you look for either, the less chance you have of finding either. Just relax, be yourself, offer up your prayers, and let nature take its course. You will be amazed how things will happen to lead you on your proper path!

Pray.

Go volunteer somewhere: soup kitchens, food bank, homeless shelter, thrift store, catechism assistant, pot lucks, dances, fundraisers, prayer groups, wherever you can connect with other Catholic Christians and others. See what areas you enjoy.

Find a good career counsellor. Take a few career interest tests.

Talk with a priest or good spiritual counsellor.

I was confirmed in my thirties. My life and career changed several times since then: foster parent, caregiver, teacher, healthcare therapist. I try to follow the prompting from Christ: go here, move, stay still, reach out, commit, rest, pray.

What a great question. So great that I might point out to you that you are doing something pretty well right now … and not noticing perhaps.

With the gifts of the Holy Spirit you have received … start using them! When you don’t know WHAT to do … remember you have Knowledge and Understanding and Wisdom conferred upon you. Get strong in those. Seeking Counsel from others (Confirmed others in here some of us!) is a good use of Wisdom … knowing where to go. Good start.

At 35 you probably know yourself well enough to “guess” at what you should do next. Which gifts you have regarding how to make a living; what your dreams are (a love it looks like … and Matrimony is a holy vocation and sacrament!); and a few ideas of how you should go about making your future happen.

You now have the Fortitude to keep going and persevere. Piety to acknowledge God at all times and have him closely a part of your life. And Fear-of-the-Lord to guide you in reverence and rectitude.

Make sure your “now what?” is in a good spirit of discernment and not one of helplessness and despair. You are empowered now. Even seeming “mistakes” can be a “learning” and not evil when you are making them as part of “seek and you shall find”.

I tell you this because I at times have prayed badly, in a spirit of helplessness that is not proper for one empowered with the gifts of the Holy Spirit which are with us at all times now.

Finding you vocation and succeeding is also attractive to a potential partner. Security for potential children and being a part of the life of a man who is doing some fine work that he loves takes down some of the “qualifications” barriers. Meanwhile, you will begin to see which potential partners are best for you, too. A woman with the gifts of the Holy Spirit would be a good idea.

Whatever road you choose from now on … you will probably do better on it; and be a better blessing to the others you meet on your journey.

Isn’t the Lord good to provide us with His wonderful indwelling of the Spirit that makes our lives so meaningful and exciting? Even when its time to carry a cross or suffer a bit?

Every blessing to you … and congratulations Jacinto! Whatever you do … do it with confidence and joy! :slight_smile:

I can think of no better place to discern God's will for your life than before His Son, Jesus Christ in the Blessed Sacrament.

[quote="Jacinto1977sd, post:1, topic:322671"]

Thanks....

[/quote]

Be open to God’s Holy Spirit working in your life. Ask Him to show you and He will. Usually you will see a pattern emerge. And that is God speaking to you.

God speaks to each of us in our own special and unique way. So where do you hear God speak to you most? Is it during private Scripture reading or contemplative prayer? Or maybe, you hear God speak to you at Mass when the Gospel is being proclaimed? Or do you hear God speak to you sometimes when you feel like the Homily was hand-written just for you?

Ask yourself some questions, like:

1. What do I care about? What types of activities am I attracted to? What do I love?

2. Who do you admire in your life? What is it about them that you love? Which person who is alive now would you most like to be? Which saints are you drawn to?

3. What type of activities bring out the best in you? What gives you satisfaction at the end of the day?

4. What are you good at? What are your gifts? (Don’t say you don’t have any - because we all do!, they may just need to be uncovered and sometimes this takes time). What type of personality to do you have? Do you enjoy being with older people or younger people? Do you enjoy being around families or single people?

5. What projects have you worked on or careers have you had that gave you great satisfaction and that you really enjoyed?

6. Talk to the people in your life for their insight and see what they think when you share what direction you might be going and what your plans are.

7. What is your heart saying? Sometimes when we pray with our hearts to God, an idea will come to mind or something from the past will surface or you feel a deep concern for something…perhaps God’s Spirit is nudging you toward that path.

8. Most importantly, be courageous, know that God is with you where ever you go and what ever path you feel He is guiding you and take that first step:

Courageous by Casting Crowns Music Lyrics:

youtube.com/watch?v=Y-fUlZkri_g

God Bless You - you are in my prayers!

Pray, spend lots of time in front of the Blessed Sacrament, and find a good spiritual director!

I try and make a Holy Hour just about every day.. as well as daily Mass too and the Chaplet of the Divine Mercy and other paryers too.....

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.