Just How Important is Our Charity?

Is the Goal of religion; Catholism in particular to make it aceptable to all; or to make “all” acceptable to it?

How MIGHT this be accomplished?

Continued Blessings
In Christ

Pat/PJM

Huge topic.
The Church proclaims Christ’s message for the salvation of all people. The Church proposes to all people to be comformed to Christ. All are invited to participate in the Church.

How might this be accomplished? Primarily by living a a life of sacrificial love, that all who see it may be drawn to Christ.

Charity, that is Agape Love, is Crucial.
It is more important than “preaching”…For preaching means nothing without consistent action to give it life.

Consider how often a person seeks to evangelize only to be confronted by the charge that Christians do not act Christian…:shrug:

Peace
James

Matthew 25 entails a large aspect of the CC mission. “What you do to the least of them, you do to Me”

I'm in the city all day, if someone asks for some money, I try and respond by asking them if they would like lunch. One day recently a lady asked and I totally could have invited her to lunch, but just listened to her a bit and went on my way. It's been bugging me ever since. I look for her everytime I'm out walking, I hope we cross paths again.

I think when you recognize your lack of charity, it is clear to see the importance.

This. It seems like after accepting the Faith, we are judged most by how charitable we are to others.

I think we need to get one thing clear about what Charity is and isn’t. Charity ISN’T “being nice to people.” Charity is the love of God above all and the love of neighbour for the sake of God.

Charity is the most important Theological virtues.

=Deo Gratias42;10225524]I think we need to get one thing clear about what Charity is and isn’t. Charity ISN’T “being nice to people.” Charity is the love of God above all and the love of neighbour for the sake of God.

Charity is the most important Theological virtues.

OK:)

But how that NOT being nice to people?:slight_smile: IF we DO love God; woun’t we “be nice”:shrug:

[quote="PJM, post:8, topic:310828"]
OK:)

But how that NOT being nice to people?:) IF we DO love God; woun't we "be nice":shrug:

[/quote]

I think he meant to say "merely" being nice to people.

Right now I’ve noticed many catholics are overly concerned with being “nice” to sinners trying not to “offend” them. Ie: Communion at Christmas with Christmas and Easter Catholics and not reminding everyone about the guidelines for communion reception because “we don’t want to offend the Christmas and Easter Catholics lest we drive them away. At least they’re here!” :rolleyes: The charitable thing to do is to remind those who are not worthy to receive communion that they must refrain so that they do not commit a sacrilege.

Or parents who accept their children’s cohabitation because they don’t want to be mean and drive them away from the family.

As a wise priest once stated, “sometimes charity comes with a stick.” :thumbsup:

=Deo Gratias42;10231570]Right now I’ve noticed many catholics are overly concerned with being “nice” to sinners trying not to “offend” them. Ie: Communion at Christmas with Christmas and Easter Catholics and not reminding everyone about the guidelines for communion reception because “we don’t want to offend the Christmas and Easter Catholics lest we drive them away. At least they’re here!” :rolleyes: The charitable thing to do is to remind those who are not worthy to receive communion that they must refrain so that they do not commit a sacrilege.

Or parents who accept their children’s cohabitation because they don’t want to be mean and drive them away from the family.

As a wise priest once stated, “sometimes charity comes with a stick.” :thumbsup:

I CERTAINLY share the view that THE TRUTH singular} is a necessary form of true Christian Charity:thumbsup:

But, personally I have not seen this “false charity” very often. The qunadry for priest is they are taught NOT to be judgmental. It’s a TOUGH call that they kleave God to make.

I have to disagree somewhat. We **should be **nice to people so as not to offend them, without compromising our beliefs. A real talent. But charity does not require calling people out. If you think someone needs a change of morals before they receive communion, you should speak to them personally, get some skin in the game. Good luck, as you may be challenged on your own sins, justly so, and that would be a work of charity for you also, it’s tough to hear the ways in which we are immoral.

We don’t want to drive our lukewarm brothers and sisters away from the Church, at least they ARE here on Christmas and Easter. This might be the Mass that brings them fully home. Welcome them, that’s the whole point of the Church, to welcome souls to it.

And besides, how can you prevent all the instances of sacrilege that happen on a given Sunday? And is it our business to take care of that bit of justice? Is it truly our business to administer justice? That is what we are talking about, justice toward God in the person of Jesus. The Holy Sacrifice of the Mass is the ultimate injustice, dei-cide. We all participate. God raises His Son up despite the injustices we all do to Him.

It is the priests’ duty to protect the Blessed Sacrament from sacrilege. Priests are also given the responsibility to govern their flocks, and to prevent as many souls from going to Hell as possible. Jesus said to Peter, “if you love me, feed my sheep.” What kind of a parent lets their children get away with bad behaviour without seeking to correct it? It’s the same with priests and their spiritual children.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.