Just how spiritual are we?

So I had come upstairs after praying a quick rosary. I wanted to use the car, and my parents wanted to use it for a “prayer drive”. ‘How useless’ I uttered before quickly catching myself. ‘That was uncalled for, I shouldn’t have said that’ I said out loud. Still the question begs: how spiritual was that? I remember another time a few years back where I was going through a hard time and became ruthless emotionally and otherwise. I would use and lie to people that helped me if it helped me get what I needed. Religion has always been important to me and I like to think I’m a pretty decent person, but then the question begs again, How spiritual was that? Was my comment about the prayer drive a Freudian slip, expressing my unrealized contempt for prayer and such? Just how holy are we in our everyday lives??? Food for thought.

well it depends, how do you view prayer?

as for how spiritual or holy we are… here are some words from St Padre Pio :slight_smile:

“Let us keep before our minds that which makes up real holiness. Holiness means getting above ourselves; it means perfect mastery of all our passions. It means having real and continual contempt for ourselves and for the things of the world to the point of preferring poverty rather than wealth, humiliation rather than glory, suffering rather than pleasure. Holiness means loving our neighbour as ourself for love of God. In this connection holiness means loving those who curse us, who hate and persecute us and even doing good to them. Holiness means living humbly, being disinterested, prudent, just, patient, kind, chaste, meek, diligent, carrying out one’s duties for no other reason than that of pleasing God and receiving from Him alone the reward one deserves”. St Padre Pio

That is wonderful that religion is important to you. That means you have the will to make practicing the faith a priority in your life. So now your efforts must be to conform yourself to be like Christ. Interiorize His teachings.

I think a prayer drive sounds lovely, although a bit expensive with the price of gas being what it is. I don’t see why you thought it was useless, but this is something you must reflect on for yourself and learn from. And remember, regular confessions help us all in our efforts to conform ourselves to Christ.

It’s always disappointing to find out how spiritual we aren’t. :slight_smile: But OTOH, do we really want to think we’ve already “arrived”-that there’s no higher level to achieve than the way we are now?

Sometimes I think I just learn all the motions -like genuflecting in Church- but then have this deep ambivalence about true faith. Prayer is good.

I know this is the basic idea, but I don’t obey well:( There’s always trying.

So true! I’m not up on all the shorthand, what does OTOH mean?

On The Other Hand

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.