Just read in the news that scientists try to grow organs in the body of pig suitable for transplantation to humans

how you can call this from the christian and moral point of view ?

It is no more immoral than eating bacon. Animal rights crowd may disagree.

Now, if they can’t eat the bacon after harvesting the organs, THAT would be all kinds of wrong:):):):slight_smile:

ICXC NIKA

Supposedly, the porcine genetic makeup is similar enough to a human’s that use of their organ’s might be feasible; at least until a permanent human organ is available for transplant.

It’s called Xenotransplantation. The tricky part will be getting the human’s body to accept the pig’s organ as one of its own. This will probably mean genetically altering the composition of the pig’s tissue, supressing the human’s immune system, or both.

Xenotransplantation in humans is a long way off.

I fail to see anything un-Christian or immoral about it. Isn’t protecting human life what it is all about?

bodies can grow, adding induced human stem cells in the embryo animal. Then the embryo is implanted males animals. The result is a baby with a human body, suitable for transplant patient. No problems with ethical issues related to this technology?
what about human heart ?

I translated the article from Russian source.

Japanese scientists from Tokyo will be able to grow organs suitable for transplantation of a person in the body of a pig. Resolution on the corresponding experiments have been issued by the authorities of the Government Council for Scientific and Technological Policy (CNTP), ITAR-TASS reported.

In July the project to grow human organs will go to the the Japanese government. However, there is a catch: in order to approve it, it is necessary to amend the legislation on cloning of 2001.

So, you can grow organs, plant-induced human stem cells in the embryo of an animal. Then the embryo is implanted female animal. The result is a baby with a human body, suitable for a transplant patient. The procedure has already been successfully tested in the University of Tokyo.

Under current Japanese law, human cells are embedded in an animal embryo can only be conducting theoretical research. For clinical trials, appropriate restrictions should be removed.

The Council for Scientific and Technological Policy stipulates: there are some ethical issues related to technology. Therefore permit test can be issued only in limited mode, treating each case separately.

How is the heart any different than the kidneys or the liver or the lungs or any other organ?

then what practice is forbidden in ‘‘stem cells’’ from the christian point of view ?

The fact that the stem cells are taken from embryos, I believe. Though don’t take my word for that. I’m no Catholic.

the point of the article is that the scientists propose to transform the animals into “factories” for the production of donor organs’’.

There is nothing wrong with stem cell research. What the Church objects to is *embryonic *stem cell research.

In order to harvest embryonic stem cells, they must obviously be taken from an embryo; a human being in the Church’s eye. And killing an embryo is paramount to abortion.

But stem cells can be harvested from other sources; umbilical cord blood is one example. It is perfectly OK to do research with these kind of stem cells since they do not involve taking a life.

So?

ok what is ‘‘induced human stem cells’’ ?
how does it works ?

As far as I can see from googling articles these are adult stem cells and there is nothing immoral or anti-Christian about their use.

Stem cells in human life have 2 sources:

1. From the human embryo, which is sacrificed to get them. This is the same as abortion, and so is morally unacceptable.

2. From tissues in the adult body. In this instance, cultured body-cells are made (induced) to form stem cells. This is morally OK as the person whose cells are used is not harmed.

ICXC NIKA

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.