Just realized what the DaVinci Code

I dismissed the whole DaVinci Code thing as complete nonsense from the start, as I’m sure the rest of us have.

I just realized though the extent of this book’s influence while finishing up a master’s degree at a local university. In a room full of 30-something, college educated professionals, the book’s ideas were well known and seemingly accepted as a entirely possible theory of historical truth.

How naive did I feel!

When the movie comes out and the kids see it this whole thing is going to go over the top–if it hasn’t already. I read the newspaper’s Saturday “Spirituality” section (it used to be called the “Religious” page) that highlights local ministers. At least twice I’ve read of pastors’ favorite books being the Code.

Admittingly, these pastors were of the new age persuasion; but just giving them the newspaper ink to espouse their support for DaVinci Code-like ideas legitimatizes these ideas to an un-Churched public.

Anyone else troubled at the way this DaVinci Code hoax is growing?

[quote=scriabin]I dismissed the whole DaVinci Code thing as complete nonsense from the start, as I’m sure the rest of us have.

I just realized though the extent of this book’s influence while finishing up a master’s degree at a local university. In a room full of 30-something, college educated professionals, the book’s ideas were well known and seemingly accepted as a entirely possible theory of historical truth.

How naive did I feel!

When the movie comes out and the kids see it this whole thing is going to go over the top–if it hasn’t already. I read the newspaper’s Saturday “Spirituality” section (it used to be called the “Religious” page) that highlights local ministers. At least twice I’ve read of pastors’ favorite books being the Code.

Admittingly, these pastors were of the new age persuasion; but just giving them the newspaper ink to espouse their support for DaVinci Code-like ideas legitimatizes these ideas to an un-Churched public.

[/quote]

I’ve been banging this drum since the stupid book first came out, all the time running into people (some in this forum) who give smirky comments like, "Well. it’s only a book, after all. You don’t really think people believe all that stuff, do ya?"
You just can’t get it through people’s heads that, in a culture of historical and theological illiterates, popular novels, TV, and movies is where they get their information (God help us).

Fortunately there are tons of good resources for educating people about idiocies like this, including this one:

carl-olson.com/abouttdvc.html

The trouble is getting people to read them, and to disabuse themselves of the poison they’ve already ingested.

The “Da Vinci Code” is actually a very good book in that it challenges traditional beliefs and dogma and tests the depth of one’s understanding of his/her faith. As Dan Brown himself has said, the book is intended to spark debate, particularly within ourselves.

However, the only way to appreciate the novel is to keep an open mind and suspend judgment at least for the duration of the story. Try to see where the author is coming from. “True knowledge (or wisdom) sees both sides of the coin, and discovers the unity of the two.”

I read this novel when it first came out in 2003. (My neighbor gave me her copy to read, then we discussed it.) It was upsetting that anyone could write this heresy. When PBS came out with “Beyond The DaVinci Code”, my husband and I watched it. It was a well written documentary debunking this nonsensical novel.

This year my son’s girl friend gave me the audio version of Brown’s novel. She said she thought I needed to listen to it as it was thought pro-voking and a “good thing” for me to consider that this might be the truth versus the traditional christian belief. I ordered the DVD of the PBS “Beyond…” and mailed it to her. I told her in a nice note that I thought this might provoke thought as to the correctness of Brown’s novel. I am sure she will respond.

It is very upsetting that it is now being passed on as “truth”, not
"fiction" as it most certainly is. Those who do not wish to believe the truth will go to great lengths to “prove” their point.

I am greatful that there are those who have written books such as “Breaking the Da Vinci Code” with well documented facts to dispute the heresy written by Brown.

No, I don’t need to be provoked by heretical books, movies, etc. I’ll take the bible and the books of the early Church Fathers. Brown is laughing all the way to the bank and enjoying being a celebrity. There are far too many impressionable folk who believe what they read. Brown attempts to re-write the christian faith and unfortunately there are those who will actually believe him.

Love and peace,

Mom of 5

I think true wisdom sees both sides of the coin and can discern which is heads and which is tails.

Truth and error are opposites and the only unity between the two is that they are both choices to be made within one individual.

But please, CWG, can we both speak candidly? Brown’s book doesn’t just “challenge” traditional beliefs, it attacks them.

[quote=scriabin]I dismissed the whole DaVinci Code thing as complete nonsense from the start, as I’m sure the rest of us have.

How naive did I feel!

[/quote]

Couple books and movies like this with the New Age movement and we have a culture changing apostasy folks. The greatest threat to our culture is the New Age movement. I am certain of it…

This is what I heard from a friend this week:

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=95780

Why worry about aborted babies, euthanasia or unjust deaths if they are simply reincarnated?

There is no good or evil, only that which get in the way of “the design” no heaven or hell, no personal god. Jesus is no longer relevant for our time…

Why follow any rules if we are god and reality is only what we make it?

Why humble ourselves to learn from our fellow human beings if we are focused only on the evolution of the human soul, creating our own souls,? People who are New Age are the enlightened ones, everyone else is a pee on, duped by western religion, the perfect religion for slaves.

Make no mistake we are in a spiritual battle and are underestimating the enemy. We have to keep this hooey out of our homes and be strong.

Is it reasonable to ask if the DaVinci Code points out how much power, prestige, and support organized Christianity has lost?

The book didn’t make that happen. The book came into that situation.

Organised religion, Ortho, despite your innuendo, is not about GETTING power, prestige, or support–so your question is moot, isn’t it?

[quote=CWG2006]However, the only way to appreciate the novel is to keep an open mind and suspend judgment at least for the duration of the story. Try to see where the author is coming from. “True knowledge (or wisdom) sees both sides of the coin, and discovers the unity of the two.”
[/quote]

Well, one has to suspend judgment when reading any book of fiction. Suspension of disbelief enables the reader to enter into the story. But historical nonsense posing as historical fiction just leads people astray. I notice that Oprah Winfrey raked an author over the coals whose non-fiction memoir turned out to be full of lies. Perhaps she would do the same with Dan Brown.

[quote=Tantum ergo]Organised religion, Ortho, despite your innuendo, is not about GETTING power, prestige, or support–so your question is moot, isn’t it?
[/quote]

Perhaps. However, power, prestige, and support are very important in maintaining an acceptance of a religions views in a culture. What we see with DaVinci Code is a mediocre popular novel winning people over against 2,000 years of doctrine and tradition. I’d say that book has power, prestige, and support.

What I am waiting for is a dogmatic, infallibe statement from the Vatican that Jesus never married. Does anyone know is such a thing exists?

[quote=JimG]Well, one has to suspend judgment when reading any book of fiction. Suspension of disbelief enables the reader to enter into the story. But historical nonsense posing as historical fiction just leads people astray. I notice that Oprah Winfrey raked an author over the coals whose non-fiction memoir turned out to be full of lies. Perhaps she would do the same with Dan Brown.
[/quote]

I doubt it. She knows the differenece between fiction and non-fiction.

I once read a book about a giant white whale. Still searching the seas for him. Lonely job. No help from Oprah.

[quote=CWG2006]The “Da Vinci Code” is actually a very good book in that it challenges traditional beliefs and dogma and tests the depth of one’s understanding of his/her faith. As Dan Brown himself has said, the book is intended to spark debate, particularly within ourselves.

However, the only way to appreciate the novel is to keep an open mind and suspend judgment at least for the duration of the story. Try to see where the author is coming from. “True knowledge (or wisdom) sees both sides of the coin, and discovers the unity of the two.”
[/quote]

He passes his book of as historical fiction. The “challenges” he makes are based on inaccuracies. I have an open mind, but if I opened it enough to enjoy that garbage, all the good stuff would fall out. There is keeping a mind open to Truth and then there is just letting the wind blow you where it will. One thing I really can’t stand is an author passing his book off as “historical ficiton” when his “fact page” is also full of holes. The “fact” page is the worst part of the book because people read that and assume that it really is fact, when it is also part of the propaganda to promote his book. I can’t tell you how many educated people actually think that the book is well researched and that the “fact” page is reliable and true. That was the most irresponsible part of the book.

[quote=Peace-bwu]The “fact” page is the worst part of the book because people read that and assume that it really is fact, when it is also part of the propaganda to promote his book. I can’t tell you how many educated people actually think that the book is well researched and that the “fact” page is reliable and true. That was the most irresponsible part of the book.
[/quote]

Here is a better fact page.

[quote=Ortho]What I am waiting for is a dogmatic, infallibe statement from the Vatican that Jesus never married. Does anyone know is such a thing exists?
[/quote]

I don’t know if the Church has ever made such an official statement as to the possible existence of a “Mrs. God.” Probably it never occurred to anyone that it might be necessary.

Brown puts a variety of faiths into play in his ficticious novel. There are those who do believe that Jesus married Mary Magdeline. The LDS believe that the wedding feast of Cana was actually His own wedding feast. They believe that Jesus had children as well as that He has sisters and brothers. Some protestant faiths also believe that Mary and Joseph had children. This book is a mish-mash designed to leave the reader questioning his/her christian faith, and possibly totally confused. Thus “thought-provoking.”

Love and peace,

Mom of 5

[quote=JimG]I don’t know if the Church has ever made such an official statement as to the possible existence of a “Mrs. God.” Probably it never occurred to anyone that it might be necessary.
[/quote]

Well, if there was ever a time to take a stand, now’s the time.

[quote=Mom of 5]The LDS believe that the wedding feast of Cana was actually His own wedding feast.
[/quote]

Really? So when the steward of the feast congratulated the groom for saving “the good wine until now,” he was actually talking to Jesus? That’s just bizarre.

[quote=5-Decades-a-Day]Really? So when the steward of the feast congratulated the groom for saving “the good wine until now,” he was actually talking to Jesus? That’s just bizarre.
[/quote]

Journal of Discourses, Vol 2, p.82: Jedediah M. Grant
"Jesus was the bridegroom at the marriage of Cana of Galilee".

There are others that also make that claim as well. I don’t think that a great deal of thought was put into this declaration. The Jesus that Brown writes about and the Jesus the LDS church talk about are quite removed from the Christian belief as to who Jesus was.

Love and peace

Mom of 5

[quote=Fidelis]Fortunately there are tons of good resources for educating people about idiocies like this, including this one:

carl-olson.com/abouttdvc.html

The trouble is getting people to read them, and to disabuse themselves of the poison they’ve already ingested.
[/quote]

I just picked up the Da Vinci Hoax yesterday. It’s an excellent debunking of the book.

I sat in on my son’s Confirmation class this evening. The topic was on marriage. The teacher, an unmarried devout Catholic man, was talking about the first person to see the resurrected Christ – Mary Magdaline.

He said that Jesus appeared to her first because they may have had a special relationship. He said something like, “There are a lot of stories recently that claim Jesus was married. Is that true? It’s hard to say. But we do know that Jesus defended women…”

I forgot to bring it up with him after class but how can a good Catholic man who is very devoted and teaches high school Confirmation classes even consider such nonsense???

I don’t know if he read the Da Vinci Code or not but he’s obviously being effected by it negatively.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.