Just reasons not to go to the mass

What exactly are juat reasons for not attending mass? I recently saw Facebook post by Churchmilitant.tv that said that only justifiable reasons for not going to mass are sickness and caring for sick people. Is that true? I am thinking about sending my son with a school group to Romania during one weekend in December and I am afraid that he will not have the opportunity to go to mass, because of school groups’s schedule. Should I prevent him from going to trip? To be honest, he has the opportunity to go to the mass, but that way he is not going on the trip. Is school trip serious enough reason? And where is the limit?
SORRY FOR BAD ENGLISH!

I talk about Sunday mass ofc…

No, that is not true. That is one person’s opinion, not actual Church teaching.

Your son can receive what is called a dispensation from your pastor. Before the trip the priest can remove the obligation. That way if the schedule allows time he can go to Mass and if it doesn’t then he does not have to go to Mass.

Even without the dispensation, being **unable **to go to Mass is not the same as choosing to skip Mass.

This is a time to talk to your pastor and not get information based on what people say on the internet.

:mad: :mad: :mad:

http://64.19.142.13/www.vatican.va/archive/ccc_css/archive/catechism/ccc.jpg
vatican.va/archive/ccc_css/archive/catechism/p3s2c1a3.htm

2181 The Sunday Eucharist is the foundation and confirmation of all Christian practice. For this reason the faithful are obliged to participate in the Eucharist on days of obligation, unless excused for a serious reason (for example, illness, the care of infants) or dispensed by their own pastor.119 Those who deliberately fail in this obligation commit a grave sin.

Don’t know what the “mad” face is for. My statement is accurate. Sickness and care of infants are *examples *of reasons one may miss Mass. They are not the **only **reasons.

The Catechism reference actually supports my position. It says “for example” in it’s parenthetical examples. It states one needs a serious reason or a dispensation. Which is what I said in my post.

So, if you have a problem with what I wrote, please refute it with words not emoticons.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.