Just received COTT for the first time

I’ve been thinking a lot about receiving COTT, mostly because of what I’ve been reading here on the forums. Also, my brother has been attending a parish that is more traditional, where you kneel and receive on the tongue. Based on his positive experience, I decided to take the plunge.

At Mass today, I decided to go for it. I always sit on the side where I receive from the priest. I just went up with my hands folded, opened my mouth, and put my tongue out. (Not too far.;)) It seemed so natural and easy; I think I had built up some worry about dropping the Host, or not opening my mouth enough, but it was so easy. It did seem more reverent, too; more like I was being fed, rather than feeding myself, if that makes any sense.

I’m going to make it a point to receive this way from now on, I think. Just thought I’d share my positive first experience. Maybe it’ll encourage someone else to do it. :thumbsup:

I noticed one persone genuflect and receive COTT last Sunday, this is something I’ve been longing for and pondering for quite some time. Perhaps it was a small nudge from the Holy Spirit to go ahead and take the plunge, then there’s this posting of yours… I have confession this saturday, perhaps I’ll talk it out with father some if thinks aren’t too crazy. Usually I go super early (and so does father) so I think I might have the oppertunity.

tilt your head back a bit if you fear it might fall from your mouth

Brilliant!
I bet you will get used to it quickly and it will become a natural way to receive.
I started doing it last summer and it was a bit strange at first because I was afraid of dropping the Host. I remember it took me a few weeks to gather courage to receive that way. Now I can’t imagine receiving in the hand.
Is there a communion rail in your parish? That makes everything much easier.

BEAUTIFUL way to put it!!

I’m really hoping that it will become completely natural, like you are describing. And no, neither of the parishes I attend have Communion rails. That would be too nice. :wink:

And then there’s the EMHC issue. I made a point of going to a priest today, since I knew he would have more experience ministering that way. Plus, that Mass has lots of people who receive COTT. My home parish, however, I’ve seen only handful receive that way, and I never know where the priest will be; he kind of moves around and stands in a different spot each week to give Communion. So we’ll see how brave I am this weekend. :slight_smile:

I’ve been thinking a lot about receiving COTT, mostly because of what I’ve been reading here on the forums. Also, my brother has been attending a parish that is more traditional, where you kneel and receive on the tongue. Based on his positive experience, I decided to take the plunge.

At Mass today, I decided to go for it. I always sit on the side where I receive from the priest. I just went up with my hands folded, opened my mouth, and put my tongue out. (Not too far.) It seemed so natural and easy; I think I had built up some worry about dropping the Host, or not opening my mouth enough, but it was so easy. It did seem more reverent, too; more like I was being fed, rather than feeding myself, if that makes any sense.

I’m going to make it a point to receive this way from now on, I think. Just thought I’d share my positive first experience. Maybe it’ll encourage someone else to do it.

Awesome! Keep it up! Now all I would recommended is kneeling…:D:D

Wonderful! I like how you stated “more like I was being fed, rather than feeding myself, if that makes any sense” YES! It makes perfect sense!

Ditto!

Indeed. Shows dependence on Christ, rather than telling Him, “Just give it to me, I’ll feed myself.”

I just noticed this thread, and wondered what COTT was, now I understand. When I was
little, this was the way it was done. The altar boy held a “something” (forgot the word)
underneath in case the Host might fall. I haven’t seen that practice in a long time (except on TV). Our priest doesn’t make use of the altar server w/ plate, so is it still OK to receive on the tongue? I would prefer this too.

It’s called a paten, designed to catch microscopic particles of the Body and Blood of Christ. In the EF after communion, the priest scrapes these particles from the paten into the chalice or ciborium.

Snowlake,
Its called a “communion paten”.

Good for you. Since the Easter Vigil in which I entered the Church, I have continually received on the tongue during Holy Communion. Now, only if the altar rails were to return…

Thanks for the beautiful post :thumbsup:

For me, COTT (while standing) was the result of a totally random thought as I was in line to receive one day, basically just to do it, almost like a little dare. Kneeling also came just by seeing it on EWTN and saying, WOW! Then I sort of premeditated and delayed until I finally took the plunge :slight_smile: It’s so weird how people’s experiences all follow the same kind of pattern, that’s what makes me think that the Holy Spirit is really nudging us to do this.

I’m moving soon and the OF I’ll go to for daily Mass didn’t take out the altar rail, so I’m hoping they don’t stand very far from it and will let me use it. For those who want Mass to be super fast, the altar rail is faster anyway :slight_smile: but they probably don’t want us to know that! Papa Benedict is with us on this, so this practice will only spread in the future, God willing and with lots of prayers this can be the regular practice again.

Great to hear it! Deo gratias et Mariae semper Virgini!

:D:extrahappy::harp:

I went to Mass again today, and just like yesterday, I received on the tongue. For all those of you who receive COTT, got a question for you: Do you say “Amen”, and if so when (before or after reception), and do you bow/genuflect? I realized today that saying Amen before reception makes it hard to get my mouth open in time, and I can’t bow (like I used to do). I was thinking of genuflecting in the line going up. Thoughts?

I have not yet done it (I think I finally will this Sunday), but I can’t imagine it would be any different than receiving in hand…? Can anyone confirm? At least what makes sense to me is walk up hands clasped, body of Christ (Amen), open mouth receive. I think I’d like to genuflect as well… After all, it’s the body soul and divinity of Jesus Christ, which I am most certainly not worthy to receive (without large measure of his grace).

You can bow while the person in front of you is receiving.

you should say Amen before receiving
its not even an option
before receiving you should affirm your faith that what you are about to receive is the Body of Christ

i genuflect as soon as the person in front of me leaves the line. the priest may be facing the other person (there are two lines) but in any case i’m already right in front of the Blessed Sacrament. i do the same thing when i bow (for some reason i forgot, i stopped genuflecting, and then went to bowing. but now back to genuflecting. i’m thinking it was the time i busted my knee but i really can’t remember)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.