Just received COTT for the first time

i receive CITH and genuflect. there’s no reason you can’t genuflect and receive CITH if you want to

Understood, COTT just feels correct to me somehow.

yes, well there’s really no prescribed combination

your posture could either be standing, or kneeling
when you stand, you have the option to either bow or genuflect
when you receive you can either receive COTT or CITH

it doesn’t have to be one way or the other. you can stand and COTT, kneel and CITH, bow and COTT, genuflect and CITH

each person from their own disposition can choose from among the postures and modes of reception that are allowed by the Church

Only in the OF. You don’t have to say “Amen” in the EF as the priest says “Corpus Domini nostri Jesu Christi custodiat animam tuam in vitam aeternum. Amen.” (“May the Body of Jesus Christ keep thy soul unto life everlasting. Amen.”) A little more to the point of receiving communion in the first place.

I look the Priest in the eyes and say “Amen” as I am kneeling. Most times I say Amen after I kneel though. I am getting better at it as time goes on. My Priest already knows that I am going to kneel, he now automatically lowers his arm and places the body of Christ on my tongue.

When I visit a new Parish, the Priests are a little surprised that I kneel. How I know they are surprised is because when I walk up they automatically have their arm and hand raised to my mouth (standing level) for me to receive, but instead I immediately kneel. I now realize that I need to say Amen after I Kneel so that the visiting Priest knows. It just seems so natural.

P.S. My nine year old son has followed my suit and receives Christ on the tongue while kneeling. He had his first communion on Mother’s Day, May 9th. That was the greatest gift to me. It was a joy to see him kneel for communion. About one week befoe his 1st communion I asked him how he prefer to receive, he said the teacher taught him to recieve by hand and to remain stainding. I explained to him why I knelt and received Christ on the tongue. So he told me that he was going to receive his 1st communion the way teacher taught him. I never got angry, I accepted his choice, but he totally surprised me when he knelt and received our Lord on the tongue. This was my greatest Mother’s Day gift ever! My heart moved with joy as he received Christ.

Well I just received COTT for the first time this sunday. I refrained from genuflecting (though I still wish to) as I was informed by my confessor that while no one would be denied communion, the liturgical norms for the USA is a bow rather than genulfecting.

While I greatly desire showing greater reverence for Christ’s presense in the Eucharist, I don’t feel it would be appropriate for me to go outside of liturgical norms for OF. I wished to attend an EF mass last Sunday, but I was dissapointed to find the Cathedral only offerse it on the first Sunday of the month. So I will experience this for the first time next month. I’ve never been to the Cathedral yet, I’m not sure if they have a communion rail (I can only hope), but even if not, I hope kneeling is the norm here.

Is not receiving communion on the tongue normal? Here in Northern VA about 25% of the communicants receive on the tongue. Thus the EMHC’s are well versed in distributing it that way. And there is always time to say Amen, Fleabeetle, after the words “The Body of Christ”. And one should **bow **as the person in front of you is receiving. Bowing is the preferred action as has been taught from the ambo. (Our priest do discuss such actions) Genuflecting (single or double) has tripped up people in the past and is not enouraged. It is allowed at daily Masses where we know who prefers to do that.

Depends upon where you are, luckly in my parish it is not an issue. But it can very from region to region, as well as parish to parish. Though I think perhaps it will become more normal… Perhaps it’s just me, but from my perspective at least it feels like the level of devotion at mass has been steadily increasing.

Ah… But!:eek:

Genuflecting is (it is MY UNDERSTANDING) for when the Bishop is present.

As when you are at a regular Mass with a regular priest, to genuflect may throw others off, this is what I suggest.

1. When the person before the person before you receives, genuflect then. Every one is still in ‘hold’ and you won’t throw any one off. If there is any upset, it won’t be felt where the Host is. (this is not very likely) :rolleyes:

2. You genuflect as the person before you is receiving (as described above) and when they are moving away, you are coming up. It’s nearly choreographed, and it is not a disturbance to any one, and those around you can see what you are doing without any one being disburbed.:thumbsup:

3. After you have genuflected (see both 1 and 2 above) you get to the person distributing the Communion, and when they have said, ‘Body of Christ’, you respond in the normal fashion, ‘Amen’

I REALLY love receiving on the tongue. I really don’t like it when something happens and they want me to hold the consecrated Host. In fact, I avoid such situations at all costs

At my home parish, I was the only one I saw that received on the tongue this past weekend. The parish near where I work, I’d say closer to 50% receive on the tongue.

And I have managed to find time to say Amen. I’m just worried someday I’ll be receiving from an EMHC who won’t wait for me to say it, while wondering why my hands aren’t out.

About genuflecting. So on weekend Masses, I should bow instead? I seem to remember a GIRM rule about this that said we should bow, but I don’t have it in front of me to check.

I concur! :slight_smile:

‘Outside of the norms’, unles when receiving from a Bishop (where did I read that? I dunno, but I read it within the last two years) :confused:

To genuflect as you are at the altar would be way wrong. I imagine doing it at the front of the line is bad, too, esp now that we KNOW we aren’t supposed to! :blush:

Yes, you should bow. It’s in the GIRM… where, I can’t quote to you, but it’s in there. Besides, you read it on CAF, and unless you have reason to believe that more than one person would choose to steer you wrong, assume we are telling you right. And wait for us to get you the address of where it can be found formally :blush:

EMHCs should be taught to wait for the person to say ‘Amen’. Then, when the person says ‘Amen’, if they allow for the person to move, they will know which is the way they are going. :o

We all know that EMHCs, like every one else, are human, and often are distracted and make assumptions of what is going on and won’t even look for the movement.

Personally, I just believe that if the EMHC and the Communicant are making eye contact, this is a non-issue.:slight_smile:

You are supposed to say “Amen” in response to the priest saying “The body of Christ.” It is our acknowledgement that we believe the consecrated host to be the body of Christ. So, yes.

I don’t bow or genuflect. I kneel to receive. Try it, you will love it.

Before I started kneeling to receive, I genuflected or bowed when I was next-to-next to recieve.

The liturgical norm for the Latin Rite of the Catholic Church is to receive on the tongue. Receiving in the hand is by indult, an exception granted by the Holy See to certain national bishops conferences who request the exception.

I would love to receive while kneeling, but neither of the parishes I attend have a communion rail. The floors of both churches near the altar are the hard linoleum or marble-like flooring, so I’m not sure how getting back up without support would work.

To my knowledge, there is only one church in my diocese that has a communion rail and one kneels to receive. I haven’t gotten myself over there yet, but I’ll definitely make the effort. The same parish offers TLM Masses.

I would love to, but it’s currently outside the norms for the USA :frowning: I’ll stick with in the norms, and pray I have an oppertunity to show the reverence I would like to at TLM first Sunday next month.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.