Just saw the movie 'Date Night'

Spoiler Alert! This post gives fair warning of an uncomfortable scene in this movie, as well as plot development points.

So, I got to go on my first date with my husband in a year. We went to a nice Italian restaurant for lunch and then went to a matinee showing of ‘Date Night’. We were all set to enjoy the film, and we did…until toward the end when an long scene in an underground stripping and prostitution club where the couple in the movie must pretend to be stripper/prostitutes in order to get close to a corrupt public official.:eek: Now, thankfully, I don’t think there was any actual nudity in the scene (it was a comedy, for goodness sake), but the dancing and the acting was so raunchy and gross, and the underlying plot story that orgies and other depraved acts happen in this club, was enough to have me covering my eyes and shifting uncomfortably in my seat. I kept thinking ‘When will this be over? Should I just walk out?’:frowning: Finally, the scene shifted to the rooftop ‘gotcha’ scene where the bad guys get caught and the good guys get patted on the back for helping the cops and then they get to go home. Overall, the premise of the movie was fun: boring date nights lead to a spontaneous extravagant date night that leads to a crazy adventure that re-cements the bond between the couple.:slight_smile: However, my memory of this film and my experience of it were tarnished by the portrayal of the underground sex club. Does anyone else respond this way, even when the actors are not nude? I just cringe every time I think about it. And the crazy thing is, our deacon’s son was our babysitter, so the deacon wanted to know if we enjoyed the movie. I stuttered, but honestly told him that most of it was hysterical but there was a very uncomfortable scene toward the end that ruined the film in my opinion. He looked surprised and puzzled, probably because it was surprising for a comedy, and because he was hoping to hear that we went out and had a great time since his son was the one who was staying with our children. :shrug:

[quote="mommamaree, post:1, topic:197888"]
Does anyone else respond this way, even when the actors are not nude?

[/quote]

No.

I know what you’re talking about. I haven’t seen this particular movie, but there are so many potentially good comedies that get way too raunchy, which just tarnishes the whole thing for me.

There are many actors who I think are quite funny, but they do too much of this sort of stuff. Steve Carell is one. Will Ferell, Vince Vaughn, Adam Sandler are some others.

My general rule of thumb is to stick to the PG comedies. For example, “Elf” and “Kicking & Screaming” are two Will Ferell movies that are actually mostly clean. Once you get into PG-13 territory, there is usually a bit of that “awkward” factor involved (though not always). Rated R comedies are good to avoid. I can understand an action movie being rated R, but a comedy?

It’s nice to catch some of those movies on network TV eventually. They usually have many of the bad scenes removed…

I was with some friends who decided to see it right after we saw Iron Man 2. I had the same reaction. It started out OK, and I thought, “this isn’t bad.” Then the underground club and I knew what was coming so I just averted my eyes during the inside the club scene. But that’s the formula for too many films, even comedies – let’s raunchy it up.

I’m not going to recommend this one to anybody.

God bless,
Ed

[quote="edwest2, post:4, topic:197888"]
I was with some friends who decided to see it right after we saw Iron Man 2. I had the same reaction. It started out OK, and I thought, "this isn't bad." Then the underground club and I knew what was coming so I just averted my eyes during the inside the club scene. But that's the formula for too many films, even comedies -- let's raunchy it up.

I'm not going to recommend this one to anybody.

God bless,
Ed

[/quote]

That's really too bad. From the previews, I thought the movie had some potential. Ah well....

If you go to the USCCB website (www.usccb.org) and click on “Office for Film and Broadcasting”, click on “Current Movies”, you should see the movies that are currently in theatres, with a brief synopsis and a rating given by the USCCB which differs from the usual G, PG, PG-13, etc., and WHY the movie got that rating.

I looked up “Date Night” and–although rated PG-13 by the Motion Picture Association of America–the USCCB classification is “L”–Limited adult audience, films whose problematic content many adults would find troubling.

Here is the brief review. There is a full one on the website:

This well-intentioned but ultimately wayward mix of the romantic comedy and action genres sees an ordinary suburban New Jersey couple (Steve Carell and Tina Fey) caught up in an underworld blackmail scheme after being mistaken for the cohabiting lowlifes (James Franco and Mila Kunis) who are out to sell the damning evidence. As written by Josh Klausner and directed by Shawn Levy, the pair’s nocturnal Manhattan odyssey – during which they flee a duo of thugs (Common and Jimmi Simpson) in the employ of a mob boss (Ray Liotta), and turn for help to a James Bond-like intelligence agent (Mark Wahlberg) – though its travails aid them to rekindle their flickering love for each other, eventually leads to an underground sex club where they briefly find themselves forced to entertain a powerful patron with perverse tastes. Considerable, though bloodless, action violence, partial rear nudity, much sexual humor, including gags about casual sex, masturbation and aberrant practices, at least one use of profanity and of the F-word, some crude and crass language. The USCCB Office for Film & Broadcasting classification is L – limited adult audience, films whose problematic content many adults would find troubling. The Motion Picture Association of America rating is PG-13 – parents strongly cautioned. Some material may be inappropriate for children under 13

The part I bolded is where I would have decided to stay home and rent “The Sound of Music”. :blush:

Anyway, for future reference, you might want to add this website to your favorites to avoid another uncomfortable “Date night”. I always check it before letting my teenager go out to movies with friends.

[quote="bluerose, post:6, topic:197888"]
If you go to the USCCB website (www.usccb.org) and click on "Office for Film and Broadcasting", click on "Current Movies", you should see the movies that are currently in theatres, with a brief synopsis and a rating given by the USCCB which differs from the usual G, PG, PG-13, etc., and WHY the movie got that rating.

I looked up "Date Night" and--although rated PG-13 by the Motion Picture Association of America--the USCCB classification is "L"--Limited adult audience, films whose problematic content many adults would find troubling.

Here is the brief review. There is a full one on the website:

This well-intentioned but ultimately wayward mix of the romantic comedy and action genres sees an ordinary suburban New Jersey couple (Steve Carell and Tina Fey) caught up in an underworld blackmail scheme after being mistaken for the cohabiting lowlifes (James Franco and Mila Kunis) who are out to sell the damning evidence. As written by Josh Klausner and directed by Shawn Levy, the pair's nocturnal Manhattan odyssey -- during which they flee a duo of thugs (Common and Jimmi Simpson) in the employ of a mob boss (Ray Liotta), and turn for help to a James Bond-like intelligence agent (Mark Wahlberg) -- though its travails aid them to rekindle their flickering love for each other, **eventually leads to an underground sex club where they briefly find themselves forced to entertain a powerful patron with perverse tastes. Considerable, though bloodless, action violence, partial rear nudity, much sexual humor, including gags about casual sex, masturbation and aberrant practices, at least one use of profanity and of the F-word, some crude and crass language.** The USCCB Office for Film & Broadcasting classification is L -- limited adult audience, films whose problematic content many adults would find troubling. The Motion Picture Association of America rating is PG-13 -- parents strongly cautioned. Some material may be inappropriate for children under 13

The part I bolded is where I would have decided to stay home and rent "The Sound of Music". :blush:

Anyway, for future reference, you might want to add this website to your favorites to avoid another uncomfortable "Date night". I always check it before letting my teenager go out to movies with friends.

[/quote]

As a new Catholic, I had never heard of this resource. For me, I only enjoy about half of the movies I go to see, because they 'raunchy it up' as one poster said. I will definitely avail myself of this resource in the future. It is easy enough to turn off a video that goes sour, but it is harder for me to justify leaving the theater when we just paid so much for tickets, although I have done just that. There have been a couple of times that I was left for an hour waiting in the lobby, though, because my husband wanted to see the rest of the film and he was amused by my inability to stay and watch. Texas Chainsaw Massacre is one example that comes to mind. I knew that one was one I didn't want to see, but no one would go with me to another movie. I ran out of the theater in the first five minutes...:o Thankfully, my husband is more likely now to believe me when I say that I will not watch a film that I object to, so he has stopped trying, especially since we get so few opportunities to get the the movies with a young and growing family to care for.

I’m glad it will help. It really is a great resource, you can even go back and research classic movies and made-for-TV movies, too. I had to remind my MIL just the other day that, in this age of cell phones and Internet, there is no reason for her to waste money at the video store buying or renting a movie that turns out to be offensive to her in some way, despite the attractive cover and blurb (she just bought Nora Roberts’ “Montana Sky” on DVD because she said the story sounded good, but… well, it’s a Nora Roberts romance and… well…) :o

I run into this dilemma often. I had planned on going to see the Sherlock Holmes movie in which Robert Downey Junior stars as Holmes. Thankfully a Catholic friend of mine posted on face book that she actually got up and left because the opening scenes were so brutal and demonic that she felt ill being there. She spared me having to see it…Sometimes I wish I lived (and was raising my children) in a time when Elvis’ hip shaking was controversial… I know they weren’t perfect times, but I’d take that over all of today’s evils anytime:shrug:

I was terrified by that opening scene of Sherlock Holmes, too. I got really afraid because the scene seemed so evil, but since it was a Sherlock Holmes story, I was confident that he would uncover the truth…that it was all a setup and wasn’t demonic. Still an evil character depicted in the scene, to be sure, but he was a brilliant and insane scientist who knew how to create the illusion of demonic powers through physics and chemistry. I wouldn’t be able to recommend that movie to anyone, however, because the question of whether or not the film actually deals with occultic/demonic issues is still sketchy enough to be scandalous.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.