Just some questions

I would like to find out some more info about the catholic chruch. My family is catholic and LDS. My mom (LDS) and dad (Catholic) are divorced and I only know (very little) about the LDS. I grew up with my mom and we never went to church. When I got older I started to go on my own, but I am not happy in the LDS church. I have a hard time with what they teach. My dad lives in CA and I really don’t have anyone to talk to about all my questions here in UT. I would like to go back to church, but I just don’t know how or where to start. If anyone could help that would be great.
Steph

May I suggest the book, Catholicism for Dummies. It gives a good overview of all the major stuff about the church. Another book I would get is the Catechism of the Catholic church. Anything you would want to know about is in that book.

AND, if you are able to get the EWTN network on your television, check it out. There are many informative programs that would help you in your search for understanding.

Marquette

[quote=Steph06]I would like to find out some more info about the catholic chruch. My family is catholic and LDS. My mom (LDS) and dad (Catholic) are divorced and I only know (very little) about the LDS. I grew up with my mom and we never went to church. When I got older I started to go on my own, but I am not happy in the LDS church. I have a hard time with what they teach. My dad lives in CA and I really don’t have anyone to talk to about all my questions here in UT. I would like to go back to church, but I just don’t know how or where to start. If anyone could help that would be great.
Steph
[/quote]

Go to the yellow pages and find the nearest Catholic Church. Call and ask them about thier RCIA (Rite of Christian Initiation for Adults) program, They usually start in Sept. but larger parishes sometimes run them year round. You should be able to have all of your questions answered there!

[quote=Mike Dye]Go to the yellow pages and find the nearest Catholic Church. Call and ask them about thier RCIA (Rite of Christian Initiation for Adults) program, They usually start in Sept. but larger parishes sometimes run them year round. You should be able to have all of your questions answered there!
[/quote]

I second Mike’s suggestion. The best place to start is with actual people who can help to explain things. Books are good, but each individual brings to the table their own life’s experiences and questions; and books usually only help with the most common questions. RCIA addresses the basics and can help to answer just about any question you may have, assuming those instructing are well educated in Catholicism. Additionally, being in a group setting provides the opportunity to make some really good friends while learning together about the Church. I wish you the best and God bless.

[quote=Tietjen]I second Mike’s suggestion. The best place to start is with actual people who can help to explain things. Books are good, but each individual brings to the table their own life’s experiences and questions; and books usually only help with the most common questions. RCIA addresses the basics and can help to answer just about any question you may have, assuming those instructing are well educated in Catholicism. Additionally, being in a group setting provides the opportunity to make some really good friends while learning together about the Church. I wish you the best and God bless.
[/quote]

I third this good advice! As your understanding grows, good books will become valuable assets. And don’t hesitate to come back here and ask questions. Chances are, what you’re wondering has been asked before, so use the “Search” feature at the top of the page first. Good luck!

Here here for EWTN. If you would like any materials I would be glad to send you some. God Bless you on your way home.

[quote=Steph06]I would like to find out some more info about the catholic chruch. My family is catholic and LDS. My mom (LDS) and dad (Catholic) are divorced and I only know (very little) about the LDS. I grew up with my mom and we never went to church. When I got older I started to go on my own, but I am not happy in the LDS church. I have a hard time with what they teach. My dad lives in CA and I really don’t have anyone to talk to about all my questions here in UT. I would like to go back to church, but I just don’t know how or where to start. If anyone could help that would be great.
Steph
[/quote]

Seek out the RCIA director of your local parish. You can go through RCIA and learn everything that you need to know. Best of all, there is no pressure to join unless you feel the call. No pressure, and a great source of information.

I’m sorry to be a bummer, but I don’t entirely agree about RCIA being the best place to go to with questions. It depends on the strength of the program at each particular parish. My RCIA was excellent at Catholic faith formation and I absolutely loved it. They used a program called Come and See. I thought my husband’s RCIA program, which was at a different parish, was seriously deficient. I’m sposoring another girl right now at a third parish where I would say the RCIA program is mediocre.

If you like to read, devour all the books you can. Surprised By Truth by Patrick Madrid is a collection of conversion stories. What Do Catholics Do That? by Kevin Orlin Johnson describes precisely that; it was the first Catholic book I read on my way to becoming Catholic. Scott Hahn is a convert and has many great books and videos.

Of course you will want to go to the home page of CA, Catholic.com. There is a lot of great information right at your fingertips. The website has many answers divided into subject in the left hand column. Another great website to try is Scripture Catholic. There you will find tons of Biblical references for Catholic beliefs.

Continue asking questions here. And feel free to pm me if you want.

Good Luck! Oh, and welcome to the CA forums! :smiley:

Welcome Steph, not only to the board but to the adventure of seeking out the teachings of the Catholic Church. Were you baptized? I ask because you said you wanted to return to church. :slight_smile: You’ve been given some good advise above, which I agree with.

I just wanted to assure you that what the Church teaches it has taught from the very beginning. It is what Jesus taught his Apostles, which their successors have passed on faithfully to us. You couldn’t get it any straighter from the horse’s mouth than that!

God bless you in your journey. As someone else said, we are here to help you with your questions and concerns so feel free to ask us anything. You will be in our prayers, please pray for us, too! :wink:

Steph
[/quote]

Hi Steph!
You’ve gotten some very good advice so far, but I have one thing to add that will offer you a source that others have not.The Catholic Home Study Service offers 7 FREE Catholic courses that are some of the very best around. Having completed them all I HIGHLY recommend them to you. You might start with any of them, but I began with http://www.amm.org/chss/images/chss3.gif, “We Believe…”.

You might wanna give your dad a call or send him a letter/e-mail and let him know what’s up and he will probably be happy to encourage you.

If you need anything else please don’t hesitate to post it here or to PM me about it.
The peace of Christ be always with you.

Bump!

Steph
[/quote]

The only way to know for sure what is the right way to live the Word of God is to ask Jesus, and let him teach you.

[quote=Giver]The only way to know for sure what is the right way to live the Word of God is to ask Jesus, and let him teach you.
[/quote]

And, if you, like me, are concerned your own human bias will make it difficult to hear Jesus’ answer (after all, out of a few thousand “me and Jesus” denominations arguing with one another, someone must be wrong), feel free to ask his representative on Earth, the one who binds and loosens through his authority, the one guided by the holy Spirit to feed his flock - the one, holy, Catholic, and apostolic Church.

[quote=awfulthings9]And, if you, like me, are concerned your own human bias will make it difficult to hear Jesus’ answer (after all, out of a few thousand “me and Jesus” denominations arguing with one another, someone must be wrong), feel free to ask his representative on Earth, the one who binds and loosens through his authority, the one guided by the holy Spirit to feed his flock - the one, holy, Catholic, and apostolic Church.
[/quote]

(John 10:16) “And there are other sheep I have that are not of this fold, and these I have to lead as well. They too will listen to my voice, and there will be only one flock, and one shepherd.” (John 10:27) “The sheep that belong to me listen to my voice; I know them and they follow me.”

Have you heard His voice? If you haven’t heard His voice, how do you know if your one of His?

The Muslims, Mormons, Jews, Catholics, and all the Protestant churches believe they are the one true Church. Jesus is God, and he and the Holy Spirit will teach you, ask God what is right, trust no one else.

You have many people telling you that an individual can’t know if it is Jesus or not. You know what I think? I think those people don’t want to hear Jesus because they are frightened they my not be living the Word of God.

Paul thought he had the only way to God, until Jesus spoke to him.

I just want you all to know that I THANK YOU!!! for all your help so far. I live by a church and I think I will go that to the Father. Someone asked if I was baptized. And I was at birth. I thank my dad for that :slight_smile: I also must say that it has only been in the last little while that I have had a strong “want” to learn what I could. I have always wanted to know, but it always seemed to “wait until tomorrow.” Something, or someone is “telling” me to do it now. So thank you for all your help. I will let you all know how I’m doing with my journey. :wink:

Steph

welcome to the forums, the best and most enjoyable way to get the most out of them is to first do your homework on the CA homepage with the tracts, articles, library etc. on topics which interest you like salvation, Mary and the saints etc. then come here for specific questions and discussion.

when i first came to know God, i have to confess that it was through fear of him, and even afterwards, even when i speak to him now in freindship, like i would speak to my dad or my mum or my freinds, i stay in that relationship mostly because of my fear of him. I have heard that its good to fear god, as this helps one to stop sinning. But it isnt anough to stop all my sins, i still continue to sin, even though i know it will lead me to hell. I want to stop sinning all together, but i still do it. if i stop sinning, i dont just want it to be because i fear eternal hell, i want it to be because i love God, I dont want to use him. I read a passage in the bible where sombody is pleading to God on judgement day, he says " didnt i cast out devils for you and preach the gospel and do good works in your name?" then God rebukes him and tells him to go away. I think that somtimes we do thing for God not because we love him, or like him, but because we fear a fiery end. because i know that sin is poisoness, when i have the strengh, i abstain from my addiction, but fail after a few days, the longest i have gone is a week, and i find my self confeesing the same sin over and over again. I think its because i love my sin more then i love God, i want to love god with all my heart, but i find it hard to connect. do you have any suggestions?

[quote=freesoulhope]when i first came to know God, i have to confess that it was through fear of him, and even afterwards, even when i speak to him now in freindship, like i would speak to my dad or my mum or my freinds, i stay in that relationship mostly because of my fear of him. I have heard that its good to fear god, as this helps one to stop sinning. But it isnt anough to stop all my sins, i still continue to sin, even though i know it will lead me to hell. I want to stop sinning all together, but i still do it. if i stop sinning, i dont just want it to be because i fear eternal hell, i want it to be because i love God, I dont want to use him. I read a passage in the bible where sombody is pleading to God on judgement day, he says " didnt i cast out devils for you and preach the gospel and do good works in your name?" then God rebukes him and tells him to go away. I think that somtimes we do thing for God not because we love him, or like him, but because we fear a fiery end. because i know that sin is poisoness, when i have the strengh, i abstain from my addiction, but fail after a few days, the longest i have gone is a week, and i find my self confeesing the same sin over and over again. I think its because i love my sin more then i love God, i want to love god with all my heart, but i find it hard to connect. do you have any suggestions?
[/quote]

Yes I do. First pray to be baptized with the Holy Spirit, if you haven’t been already. Next I would suggest you give your life to Jesus. Then get into the Word and let the Holy Spirit teach you to live the Word. I believe in this way a person comes to know God, and when someone knows God they won’t sin.

[quote=freesoulhope]when i first came to know God, i have to confess that it was through fear of him, and even afterwards, even when i speak to him now in freindship, like i would speak to my dad or my mum or my freinds, i stay in that relationship mostly because of my fear of him. I have heard that its good to fear god, as this helps one to stop sinning. But it isnt anough to stop all my sins, i still continue to sin, even though i know it will lead me to hell. I want to stop sinning all together, but i still do it. if i stop sinning, i dont just want it to be because i fear eternal hell, i want it to be because i love God, I dont want to use him. I read a passage in the bible where sombody is pleading to God on judgement day, he says " didnt i cast out devils for you and preach the gospel and do good works in your name?" then God rebukes him and tells him to go away. I think that somtimes we do thing for God not because we love him, or like him, but because we fear a fiery end. because i know that sin is poisoness, when i have the strengh, i abstain from my addiction, but fail after a few days, the longest i have gone is a week, and i find my self confeesing the same sin over and over again. I think its because i love my sin more then i love God, i want to love god with all my heart, but i find it hard to connect. do you have any suggestions?
[/quote]

Continue to go to confession. Receive the Eucharist as often as possible. Pray and read the Bible often. The Lord loves you more than you can imagine. He will pick you up every time you fall. Trust in the Lord–He will never abandon you. :slight_smile:

May God bless you on your journey.
If you like listening rather than reading you can download these talks by Fr John Corapi on the Teachings of Jesus

ftp://217.160.246.215/pub/audionet/EWTN_programs/Fr._John_Corapi/Teachings_of_Jesus/

John Corapi’s Amazing story is also available for $1 at
catholicity.com/maryfoundation/corapi.html

The Mass Explained is another excellent CD available from the Mary Foundation.

Seek and you shall find! You’ll be in my prayers.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.