Just wanted to share my friend's priest weekly lift

Shouts in Pain

Pain is the great equalizer and common denominator for us all. Like or not if you’re still alive, pain is a part of life. Whether it’s physical, emotional or relational, pain hurts and it usually leaves some sort of a mark. But like anything else, even our pain can be used by God to mark us for good. When it comes, instead of just feeling the hurt and wasting what God may be saying and doing, see it as an opportunity to grow and bless others.

“C.S. Lewis said that God whispers to us in our joys, speaks to us in our conscience, and shouts to us in our pain. In our joys, it is as
though He is whispering in a crowded auditorium of His immense, outrageous love for us—but we can’t hear. We’re too busy. We’re
too enmeshed in our lives. He tries again to speak to us through our conscience, but we don’t slow down enough to listen. Our
hearing aid is on low because we’re engaged with so many things. Without purposeful listening the communication process is not
complete. But the Hound of heaven is persistent in His love and concern, so He shouts….through pain. He finally has our attention.”1

Has God been shouting in your direction lately? Perhaps your pain has been God’s covert plan to get your attention about something.
Why? Because He likes to torment us like little voodoo dolls and laugh at our pain? No way! Because He’s paying us back, pain for
pain for the sinful things we’ve done? Not on your life! That’s not God’s style. Thankfully, even in our pain there is always a reason for everything God does.

Maybe He wants to show you that you have more power in your weakness than in your strength. In II Corinthians, Paul tells us of his
physical “thorn” and what he learned about pain: “Three different times I begged God to make me well again. Each time he said,
‘No. But I am with you; that is all you need. My power shows up best in weak people.’ Now I am glad to boast about how weak I am;
I am glad to be a living demonstration of Christ’s power, instead of showing off my own power and abilities; for when I am weak, then
I am strong—the less I have, the more I depend on him.” 2

Maybe He wants to use your pain to prepare you to help someone else. In the same book, Paul shares another perspective on pain.
“What a wonderful God we have—he is the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the source of every mercy, and the one who so
wonderfully comforts and strengthens us in our hardships and trials. And why does He do this? So that when others are troubled, needing our sympathy and encouragement, we can pass on to them this same help and comfort God has given us.” 3

It’s possible that as you sit and read this, you are in some sort of pain. Before you curse it and blame God for it, stop for a minute and ask yourself what God may be saying to you in your pain. God never does anything arbitrarily. Whispering and speaking may not have gotten through. So now He shouts. There’s something He wants to tell you. Are you listening?

Oh wow, iluvmybabies. This is great. I actually (ironically) bought recently, The Problem with Pain, by CS Lewis. I love his works, he puts things in great perspective. I can’t thank you enough for posting this. Please keep these coming for us to read.
:hug1:

Glad to share whatevergirl! He sends these ever week, calls them midweek lifts…He tries to get people involved with the Catholic church even when no one has “the time” to get involved with GOD!

Here’s a bit of his story…

He used to be a priest at our church, but he didn’t agree with the way the priests kept on telling everyone they were going to hell and be punished for all their mistakes…This is what my friend told us he told them…He wanted the church to be open to everyone no matter how they dressed and looked… He left our Catholic church to start his own Catholic church…There they spend a lot of time with their followers and have a lot of community services and I mean a lot! It reminds me of my other friend’s Christian church which gets involved in a lot of activities outside the church! I don’t know how to explain but they like have a lot of things for people whom need help without asking for anything in return at all… He’s a regular kind of guy, married with kids, it’s interesting… And he invites everyone to hear the word of GOD. He even does things like what Jesus did with his followers, you know go on walks, go to the park, and speak to everyone around without caring who’s around while out in these outings…It’s pretty interesting…

A few weeks ago it was raining, and he scheduled their mass to be outside in the park, he was sad that he might have to cancel because of the rain, well 30 mins before it was time the rain stopped and even though the ground was wet people brought in plastic covers and stuff and sat around him while he read the word of GOD from the Bible…And gave mass out side…He chatted about what GOD has created, he wanted everyone to take a breather and enjoy GOD’s creations the beautiful lightly clouded skies, and the rays of sunshine fighting through etc…He described it in his lift as a very beautiful day!

He believes every church should be like this because it invites people in, he doesn’t make anyone show up in expensive attire, he shows up with what he has, jeans and tshirts…He says he’s not rich and doesn’t expect everyone to come in the most elaborate clothing, he said we are here to praise GOD not show how much we have…He even has dinners with his followers, and most of them bring the food! :smiley: And they love going out there and helping others in need, it’s very interesting…and he doesn’t stop praising the word of GOD.

One lady’s 25 year old daughter, mother of 6 I believe passed away giving birth to the 6th child, it was devastating because her family was left with all 6 children, her husband devastated and didn’t even want to see his children…it hurt a lot of people to hear the story…This church raised enough money to help the family pay off all the debts, bills, clothing, diapers, food, etc to last them for a long time! It was really nice of them his whole congregation did everything possible to help this family out!

He has said he tries to be the example Jesus was, he says he doesn’t claim to be like Jesus but that he wants to be able to love everyone equally like Jesus does and to help everyone as much as he can without expecting anything in return because that’s how Jesus was, to live the example and to love everyone…And he writes to us weekly to share stories, and give us these lifts…Which I enjoy very much!

I am more than happy to share! :smiley:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.