Just watched expelled

Just watched expelled. It was a very interesting movie. I was hoping someone would give some of their thoughts on it.

I thought that Ben Stien (sp?) did a great job at looking at both sides and interviewing both sides. I came out of it not really angry at the atheist but very sad for them. I cannot imagine such a sad life thinking that this was it.

I was also glad that Ben did not argue the most obvious inthe end of the movie when dawkin kept arguing for Darwinism. I think that by not arguing it really made Dawkins looks like a fool. He started arguing for aliens creating man it was really pathetic and sad.

Just my thoughts, but a really good movie I would highly recommend it.

My thoughts as well. I really enjoyed the movie a lot.

[quote="Alexander_Smith, post:2, topic:224035"]
My thoughts as well. I really enjoyed the movie a lot.

[/quote]

It was a fraudulent movie. Example (of many): When Ben Stein is talking to what seems like a college class, in actuality, those were extras - not students. That's lying. They also used licensed pop music without permission, which is a big no-no if you don't pay ASCAP/BMI. That's stealing. Source (of many): expelledexposed.com/

[quote="st_lucy, post:1, topic:224035"]
I was also glad that Ben did not argue the most obvious inthe end of the movie when dawkin kept arguing for Darwinism. I think that by not arguing it really made Dawkins looks like a fool. He started arguing for aliens creating man it was really pathetic and sad.

[/quote]

Yes, I thought it was highly ironic that Dawkins was willling to allow the possiblity of aliens creating life on earth, but was adamant that God couldn't have created it. Anything but God!

I'm not sure how informative it was. I watched it for the David Berlinski interview. Richard Dawkins is kind of a bore.

[quote="havana1, post:3, topic:224035"]
It was a fraudulent movie. Example (of many): When Ben Stein is talking to what seems like a college class, in actuality, those were extras - not students. That's lying. They also used licensed pop music without permission, which is a big no-no if you don't pay ASCAP/BMI. That's stealing. Source (of many): expelledexposed.com/

[/quote]

So your beef with the movie is unlicensed pop music, and extras in a shot?

I was really wondering what you thought of the thought behind the movie. On why the far left extremist are allowed free rein to run our education system into the dirt?

Excellent movie. And Ben Stein said more with a simple raised eyebrow than the antitheists did with their rantings. Very nicely directed/produced.:thumbsup:

[quote="st_lucy, post:6, topic:224035"]
so your beef with the movie is unlicensed pop music, and extras in a shot?

[/quote]

all aboard the LOLLerCOASTER

[quote="exoflare, post:8, topic:224035"]
all aboard the LOLLerCOASTER

[/quote]

No, my beef with "Expelled" is that it's as fictitious and make-believe as "The Wizard of Oz." I watched the movie. I also reviewed the scientific data on expelledexposed.com debunking nearly all of the claims made. Did you look at expelledexposed and get 'both sides of the story' as I did, or are you simply content to attack me?

As a senior about to enter college later this year, it made me a bit scared of entering these liberal institutions. I'm as libertarian and conservative as you can get.

Anyways, I'm not a big documentary person, but I really enjoyed it. I like how it really didn't focus on the whole, God made the Earth in 7 24 hour days and instead the whole, there was a God behind it even if it was evolution theory.

As an aspiring filmmaker, it gave me hope that documentaries could be well made and entertaining and made me want to go out and make a documentary (which I seriously considered doing for my local Catholic film festival)

Just a side note, the usual rule of thumb when debating or arguing a position, which the entire film was one, never make comparisons to Nazi Germany or the Soviet Union since those are extremes. Though the rules on not using the USSR aren't really as strict as using Nazi Germany. It's just not done in debate to bring in Nazi Germany as an example. And I was surprised that Stein was making a comparison to East Berlin (at least that's what I think it was) by showing all the footage of East Berlin during its Soviet rule.

Well done documentary. Gave me more respect for Ben Stein and for documentaries as a whole.

[quote="havana1, post:9, topic:224035"]
or are you simply content to attack me?

[/quote]

I'm simply content to not waste my life bitterly obsessing over the music and extras in a movie. Nobody had to "attack" you; you pretty much did it yourself.

I thought this film was great. I nice to hear the phrase "intelligent design" without all of the howling from the left.

The ending was terrific.

Has anyone seen the DVD: Expelled with Ben Stein?

I just watched it last week and thoroughly enjoyed it. I actually had no idea that there was such discrimination against scientists who pursue a hypothesis of intelligent design. Denying an avenue of inquiry seems very unscientific to me.

I’ve seen it several times and love it. I find it very telling that so many people truly hate it.

[quote="Rascalking, post:14, topic:224035"]
I've seen it several times and love it. I find it very telling that so many people truly hate it.

[/quote]

Do you mean the atheist scientists who were interviewed or people who have watched it?

I realize the movie is a couple of years old, but I had never been aware of it. I borrowed it from our parish library.

People who have watched it. I know so many people who truly hate that movie. I find it interesting.

That is interesting. I would think that any rational person (regardless of faith) would see the logic. :hmmm:

That’s a nice thought, but no way is it practical. Too many people-religious too, sadly, have preconceived biases that run their thinking.

Great movie, the final interview is the best. It reveals the utter hatred some people have towards faith in God.

The logic behind Intelligent Design? Or the logic behind the point of the movie? Because as far as the former, there isn’t much to see, in my opinion. I haven’t seen the movie, so I can’t really comment on it, but I’ve heard others say that the makers weren’t exactly straightforward with the scientists they interviewed.

And of course most scientists, whatever their religious persuasions, don’t like the film much, because almost all of them consider ID to be a scientifically untenable position. It’s not even a controversial issue, like global warming, where respected scientists have questioned the orthodox attitudes toward, and even some who support it, like physicist Freeman Dyson, among the most highle yregarded scientists alive today, have criticized the AGW advocates fr their approach.

WIth Intelligent design, even that isn’t the case. If a scientist were to walk into any major biology department in the country and apply for a job, and say, oh, by the way, I don’t believe in evolution, it is true that they would not likely get a job. Would that constitute discrimination? Perhaps, but it’s kind of like trying to get a job teaching chemistry while not believing in electrons. Employers, including universities, have to discriminate between the qualifed and the unqualified. Not to say that universities don’t discriminate unfairly in some ways, but getting more creationists onto the faculties of university science departments isn’t exactly something I support.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.