Just wondering ...about keeping Sunday

More often than not, my daughter and I now have to attend a Saturday evening mass instead of Sunday morning (except we got to mass this morning and oddly enough I noticed the difference between Saturday evening and Sunday morning.) My reason for starting a thread is, when we don't go to mass on Sunday's I don't want my daughter (or myself) to think it's just another day just because we'd gone to church the previous evening.

So I had been going around the internet, collecting things from various Sunday schools (Catholic) so that she could have an at home Sunday school for 30 minutes to an hour on Sundays (depends on her mood/attention spand.) We use the Sunday Missal for Young Catholics for her Gospel readings. That all is usually is followed by a VeggieTale movie (or one of the cartoons from EWTN) or story . I've tried getting her to say the rosary but she's not content to sit through all the decades, muchless 10 Hail Marys (I have to admit, that makes me just a little sad.)

Our Sunday might also include a nap and well playing obviously. Does this sound adequate, in keeping the Lords day? It's one of the many things I've found myself worrying about since returning to the church. Am I doing enough or NOT enough on Sundays? Should I really be picking up those toys and dishes? :p

Yep I'm one of those professional stay at home worry worts. :rolleyes:

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Any suggestions? Leave it well enough alone?

You don’t say how old is your daughter?

Sorry. I must have wiped that part out when I thought I was rambling too much. I do that often. She just turned four in February.

She can recite the Our Father, Hail Mary, Glory Be, Angel of God, Now I lay me Down and the Fatima prayer. She does enjoy Veggietales quite and bit but will soon have a New Catholic Picture Bible in the next few days that I hope to introduce to her so she's not thinking everything is all vegetables.

Some evenings, I read from an actual bible as she is going to sleep but for the most part, her knowledge of the bible right now consists mostly of the Veggie version and the Sunday Missal for Young Catholics.

When we are at mass, there is an option for her to go downstairs with other kids (who all seem to be mostly older than her) for a children's liturgy. She doesn't attend those, because I would have to go with her and I do VERY much dislike to miss mass. So at home Sunday school with mom on Sundays is what we have been doing since the start of March when we started attending mass on Saturdays.

/babble. sorry

You are doing fine. Stop pressuring yourself.

[quote="mom2em, post:1, topic:233208"]
I've tried getting her to say the rosary but she's not content to sit through all the decades, muchless 10 Hail Marys (I have to admit, that makes me just a little sad.)

[/quote]

I'm 24 and sometimes have a hard time focusing while praying the rosary. A four year old can't be expected to sit still and pray a whole rosary. It would be nice, but I don't think that's realistic. There's no list of what we have to do on the Sabbath besides Mass. Just set some time for prayer, relaxation, and fun. The rest is up 2 you. :thumbsup:

I appreciate the answers. I really do. I don't remember much from growing up, oddly enough. I vaguely remember going to church and only know we stopped once my youngest brother was in the hospital a lot. After that I was just another person who never realized what they were letting pass by them.

All that said and done, with my daughter I want to try and do things differently. Not that I am blaming my parents for my falling away. They'd never once stopped me. Just a situation of circumstances and bad choices on my part.

I think I am trying to make up for what I have let pass by me and in doing that pulling my daughter along, hoping she's able to keep her head up. I do need to, as you say Seatuck, stop pressuring myself, and importantly her.

Thanks again so VERY much!

It sounds like you are starting some great traditions and are really teaching her the faith right from the start.

[quote="mom2em, post:6, topic:233208"]
I appreciate the answers. I really do. I don't remember much from growing up, oddly enough. I vaguely remember going to church and only know we stopped once my youngest brother was in the hospital a lot. After that I was just another person who never realized what they were letting pass by them.

All that said and done, with my daughter I want to try and do things differently. Not that I am blaming my parents for my falling away. They'd never once stopped me. Just a situation of circumstances and bad choices on my part.

I think I am trying to make up for what I have let pass by me and in doing that pulling my daughter along, hoping she's able to keep her head up. I do need to, as you say Seatuck, stop pressuring myself, and importantly her.

Thanks again so VERY much!

[/quote]

Your little girl knows a LOT of prayers for her age!!! Good for her. Don't force her to pray even one full decade of the rosary or she might grow to hate it. Say the Hail Mary at different times throughout your day, and if you get 10 said, then you have said a decade. If not, there's time ahead to teach her the beauty of the rosary.

I know how it can feel, to return to the Church and want so badly to parent better than we were parented. Trust me, the fact that you love your faith, that you are teaching your daughter about the Church and her faith, will make a huge difference in her life. Ultimately it's not about how many times she can recite a certain prayer, but about who she turns to every single day of her life. It's about who and what she knows is most important: her relationship to God and her faith.

I'm sure you are doing just fine. Even enjoying family activities on Sunday is keeping the Sabbath.

Like others have said, it sounds like you are doing a good job. :thumbsup: If you want another resource Catholic Icing has some really fun activities and crafts. They have stuff for pretty much even slightly major feast day as well as lots of stuff in between. :D

[quote="KarenElissa, post:9, topic:233208"]
Like others have said, it sounds like you are doing a good job. :thumbsup: If you want another resource Catholic Icing has some really fun activities and crafts. They have stuff for pretty much even slightly major feast day as well as lots of stuff in between. :D

[/quote]

Love Catholic Icing. Found out about it through here when the About.com voting was going on. I've used a few of her ideas and my daughter has her Lenten calender on her wall. But I very much appreciate the suggestion. Very heart warming and thank you for your kind words. I do appreciate them

[quote="TheRealJuliane, post:8, topic:233208"]
Your little girl knows a LOT of prayers for her age!!! Good for her. Don't force her to pray even one full decade of the rosary or she might grow to hate it. Say the Hail Mary at different times throughout your day, and if you get 10 said, then you have said a decade. If not, there's time ahead to teach her the beauty of the rosary.

I know how it can feel, to return to the Church and want so badly to parent better than we were parented. Trust me, the fact that you love your faith, that you are teaching your daughter about the Church and her faith, will make a huge difference in her life. Ultimately it's not about how many times she can recite a certain prayer, but about who she turns to every single day of her life. It's about who and what she knows is most important: her relationship to God and her faith.

I'm sure you are doing just fine. Even enjoying family activities on Sunday is keeping the Sabbath.

[/quote]

I'm not entirely sure how she managed to remember those prayers but I am very thankful that she has. And yes as for the rosary, I do not want to force her into it. It's the same with other things she is involved in, soccer and ballet. She's never been forced to participate. Maybe asked to behave or to listen while attending them but never made to do them kicking and screaming. It seems entirely against the purpose.

For now, I will be happy with her reciting the prayers as she watches EWTN's Rosary for Kids and that while she's falling asleep and I say a rosary that she might chime in too. I am trying to instill in her, that when shes in need, that she must not forget God. If she can avoid all the times I sat and worried or wondered or whatever instead of turning inward and to God, then I shouldn't dare to ask for anything else.

I am not sure if what I type comes of as making much sense. But I do appreciate all the kindness and the helpful words and ideas that have been given to me. Thank you so much. It is in these instances I myself grow particularly more and more in love with our faith.

Perhaps I'll tell her mommy is twitterpated with God. That seems to be a new kick for her since seeing Bambi :D

Trying, yep I certainly am. Thank you so much for the encouragement. I appreciate your words.

Nice thread:)

closed #14

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.