Just wondering ?

Don’t know if this was discussed before, but if anyone is brave enough, and truthful then please feel free to reply. ( it’s mainly for Protestants) but any religion other than Christian can reply.

So I’m wondering since quite a few non-Catholics come here, some attacking and rude, and others debating with manners.

What in your Church most annoys you, and what do you have issues with ?

Because it seems there are issues in the Catholic Church that would stop some from converting.( rephrase ) I know there are issues that stop some from converting.

Surely there are issues in your own Church that you want to shout to the Heavens about.:ehh: ----Anyone ?

I can imagine that the issue of homosexual unions and practicing homosexuals in the ministry would be an issue for some. I accidentally got a magazine called “The Lutheran” in the mail that was addressed to the people from whom we bought our house. The cover story made me go :eek: It was entitled “Council suggests exceptions for gay clergy”.The article is on their website:

thelutheran.org/0506/page32.html

I’m not sure what the Scriptural basis for even considering this would be.

I don’t see any for the sin of sodamy, how could there be, two people of the same gender can’t pro-create, men nor women.

"Go forth and multiply "

Sometimes i feel the homilies are not about what they should be.
They seem to be based on the Readings for that particular day.
While there is a very relevant message in those Readings,perhaps
there has been something like a Tsunami during the previous week and people are wondering why God would let that happen.
I have heard a couple of young priests in recent times talking in a way i liked.One spoke about family members who were not speaking to each other,not very christian is it?Personally,i get on ok with my sisters,but i couldn’t even tell you where some of my cousins live.Sometimes that happens because some like a drink
and,if you are not a good boozing buddy,you are out.Sometimes
they just don’t want you to know that their family is not as successful as yours
I have a friend who still sends me Christmas Cards,but he has stopped 'phoning me.I’m of the opinion that he simply took offence at me because i challenged some of the Liberal Catholic views he was expressing.When we used to speak on the 'phone,it was me who was 'phoning him twice to his once in my direction.We are both now retired but,believe me,he has more money than i have.
At one stage,i was allowing for his health failing,but he scuppered
that one by saying on his Christmas Card that both he and his wife were ok,healthwise.
What’s worse,drifting apart after a yelling match or being pretty much ostracised?Shouldn’t the clergy be highlighting that sort of thing?

Thanks for your replies, I guess the Catholic Church is the only one with problems.:rolleyes:

[quote=burnside]Sometimes i feel the homilies are not about what they should be.
They seem to be based on the Readings for that particular day.
While there is a very relevant message in those Readings,perhaps
there has been something like a Tsunami during the previous week and people are wondering why God would let that happen.
I?
[/quote]

actually, the homily is supposed to be an explanation and teaching based on the readings of the day. naturally if something happens during the week that has great impact - hurricane, death of the pope, something in the community – the priest can and maybe should mention it and if possible relate it to the theme of the readings. In major world events or on Church feasts usually the local bishop or the US Bishops issue a letter and that is read after communion, or printed in the bulletin.

the rest of your post goes on to describe times when a priest happens to touch on a situation or message that has relevance to events in your own life. That is great when you get that kind of help, but you can’t judge all homilies by whether or not they deal with your personal problems.

The best homily will help you relate the message of today’s readings to your own life, to living the Christian message.

I sort of belong to two religious groups. My family attends a UU church, so we have a local church community.

Because of my personal beliefs, I belong to Naturalistic Pantheist groups as well, the majority of these being on-line.

I have not joined UU for a number of reasons. It is too amorphous for me. I feel that if the denomination itself can’t define what it believes or is about, then what is the point of me signing on? What would I be signing on to? Though I am comfortable in my local cong, much of the discussion in the denominational magazine really burns me up and turns me off. I don’t feel I fit in with the bigger UU picture. Spiritually is talked about, logically, but there is no cohesive spiritual force, so there is an emptiness there.

In Naturalistic pantheism, there is a struggle between similar factions as in UUism. There are the spiritual pantheists, who want to talk about and share their life changing experiences, and the more logical ones who poo poo anything that can’t be proven scientifically.

Humans have spiritual experiences. We are drawn into community to share these things, to celebrate them and invite them to change, enrich and challenge us. Mind alone cannot accomplish this level of deep transformation.

I believe that humans are body and spirit perfectly integrated. That is our nature. I believe our lives are richer when we celebrate both these things, honor both aspects. I hate when we set aside the purpose of our spiritual communities (to encourage, challenge and support one another) to argue over piffle.

I have a third spiritual group, that is local and in real time. We don’t argue, but it is a hassle to get people involved in planning activities and taking responsibility for the group. Still, it is a good group and good things are taking place there.

cheddar

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.