Just wondering...

I remember seeing somewhere that priests have to celebrate Mass every day. Is that true?

If they have to celebrate Mass daily, what do they do if they go on vacation? Or do priests just never really go on vacation?

They are not required to celebrate Mass every day and, yes, they do go on vacation.

They also get to visit their family (parent’s, siblings), go to the dentist, and eat at restaurants! LOL, I’m feeling silly- they are human, too, and do the things we do too!

Certain aspects of this will depend on whether one is talking about diocesan priests or religious priests.
A religious priest - as I understand it - is governed by the rules of the order.

Peace
James

Around here, they get a day off. I believe some of them choose to say a private Mass, however.

Generally our four parish priests attend Mass (celebrate?) every day. Only one of them officiates the Mass.

You may well be mixing it up with that priests have to say morning and evening prayer absolutely every day, but not mass. I know in the Anglican church they can be prosecuted for not saying morning and evening prayer but what police force is going to waste their time and energy on a priest if that is the only thing they not doing. Though the church themselves might have stiffer penalties if the priest is willfilly not doing so. But I can’t imagine anything being carried out on that alone.

Yes, I think I am right in that you are mixing it up with morning and evening prayer. It doesn’t matter where they say it so long as they say it. I am glad I am not a priest!

Oh okay. Thanks for clearing that up for me :) Sorry if that was a silly question to ask.

[quote="Angel_Bradford, post:2, topic:284682"]
They are not required to celebrate Mass every day and, yes, they do go on vacation.

[/quote]

They are however encouraged by Canon Law to celebrate the Eucharist on a daily basis.

Can. 276 §1 Clerics have a special obligation to seek holiness in their lives, because they are consecrated to God by a new title through the reception of orders, and are stewards of the mysteries of God in the service of His people.

§2 In order that they can pursue this perfection:

1° they are in the first place faithfully and untiringly to fulfil the obligations of their pastoral ministry;

2° they are to nourish their spiritual life at the twofold table of the sacred Scripture and the Eucharist; priests are therefore earnestly invited to offer the eucharistic Sacrifice daily, and deacons to participate daily in the offering;

3° priests, and deacons aspiring to the priesthood, are obliged to carry out the liturgy of the hours daily, in accordance with their own approved liturgical books; permanent deacons are to recite that part of it determined by the Episcopal Conference;

4° they are also obliged to make spiritual retreats, in accordance with the provision of particular law;

5° they are exhorted to engage regularly in mental prayer, to approach the sacrament of penance frequently, to honour the Virgin Mother of God with particular veneration, and to use other general and special means to holiness.

Thanks Bill! I thought I remembered reading that somewhere. So they're "earnestly invited" and not required? I need to read things more carefully, I guess...:o

[quote="Nov1411, post:10, topic:284682"]
Thanks Bill! I thought I remembered reading that somewhere. So they're "earnestly invited" and not required? I need to read things more carefully, I guess...:o

[/quote]

No problem. And while away on vacation our priests take along a Mass kit so they can say private Masses while they are away.:thumbsup:

A private Mass with just a few people?

[quote="Nov1411, post:12, topic:284682"]
A private Mass with just a few people?

[/quote]

They can actually celebrate a Mass with NO ONE present, although this is not preferred.

[quote="Rolltide, post:13, topic:284682"]
They can actually celebrate a Mass with NO ONE present, although this is not preferred.

[/quote]

Actually at least the priest has to be present, :D but otherwise what he said.:hey_bud: But if away on vacation with no church around if this is the only option this is what is done.

[quote="DCNBILL, post:14, topic:284682"]
Actually at least the priest has to be present, :D

[/quote]

Haha :D

But if away on vacation with no church around if this is the only option this is what is done

If there is no church around, would he say the whole Mass when he's by himself, or would he just conserate the Eucharist?

[quote="Nov1411, post:15, topic:284682"]
Haha :D

If there is no church around, would he say the whole Mass when he's by himself, or would he just conserate the Eucharist?

[/quote]

Consecration can not be done outside of the Mass. But I would imagine that he would omit the homily. :D

[quote="DCNBILL, post:16, topic:284682"]
But I would imagine that he would omit the homily. :D

[/quote]

:D

Consecration can not be done outside of the Mass.

So a private Mass wouldn't actually be a real Mass?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.