Justice Department enters fray over 4th of July parade float in Norfolk

Omaha World-Herald:

Justice Department enters fray over 4th of July parade float in Norfolk

The U.S. Department of Justice has joined the discussions over a controversial float in the Norfolk Independence Day parade.
The department sent a member of its Community Relations Service team, which gets involved in discrimination disputes, to a Thursday meeting about the issue. Also at the meeting were the NAACP, the Norfolk mayor and The Independent Order of Odd Fellows.

The  Odd Fellows organized the parade. One of the floats included a  zombie-like mannequin standing near an outhouse labeled “Obama  Presidential Library.”
                                                          The  float’s creator, Dale Remmich, has said the mannequin depicted himself,  not President Barack Obama. He said he is upset with the president’s  handling of the Veterans Affairs Department.
                                                          “Looking  at the float, that message absolutely did not come through,” said Betty  C. Andrews, the president of NAACP branches in Iowa and Nebraska. 

Let’s say arguendo that Mr Remmich is lying and the zombie represented the President. He’s not allowed to mock the president?
The Justice Dept has to get involved just because the NAACP thinks making fun of a black president is a hate crime? I’m sure tons of lawyers work at the Justice Dept [sic] at least some of them must be familiar with the 1st Amendment.

There is already a thread on this topic

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=896338

The ones complainning should get a thicker skin by going over what has been said about Presadents before Obama. They were just as nasty, if not nastier, then the float was. :shrug:

A fine use of taxpayer money. I feel so much safer now.

I really don’t understand what is so offensive about the float. It is a little tasteless but I would not call it so offensive that it needs to be prosecuted as a hate crime. This just seems to be an attack on our Constitutional rights to freedom of speech and freedom of expression in my opinion.

closed #6

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.