Justice of the peace marriage for legal reasons

Short story, any advise.

Me and girlfriend of many years have wedding plans for next Summer.
For legal reasons could we get “married” by a Justice of the Peace only for the legal reasons. The marriage would not be consummated and we would live life apart and still as a single couple. Any thoughts.
I’m moving to her home state and need residency status.exc.

Since the marriage is a year off, why not start the preparation and get married in the Church?

I thought you cant get married quickly in the Church.

I think that’s what they’re planning, however, they want to marry legally, now or in the near future.

I think the OP wants to get legally married NOW so he can claim a year’s residency in her state by the time of the Church wedding.

Discuss this with your priest. Don’t make important life decisions based on information obtained from free-for-all websites on the Internet.

I’m moving to her home state to finish school and resident tuition costs vs. non-resident are insane. -Otherwise I couldn’t afford the per hour rates and would have to sit out another year. I would like to start grad school after getting Married. :slight_smile:

Just collecting thoughts. 8)

Moving to the new state gives you residency, with or without civil marriage. What is the point of the civil marriage?

The University requirements to consider you a “resident” after you live in state for 1 year or "A nonresident may acquire resident status by fulfilling the requirements listed above or by marrying a domiciliary who is independent.

I’m going to try to sound charitable here, but it sounds like what you’re doing is using marriage for a selfish ends. The Church is fine with people getting a civil marriage first in jurisdictions where that is the law (France is an example, you have to get a civil marriage before a religious one). But in a country like the States where religious marriages are recognized and you are aware that a civil marriage is not equal to a real marriage, then I don’t think any priest would recommend that you get one.

But the way it sounds is that even though they will be legally (though not sacramentally) married they will not be living as a married couple: they will be living as an unmarried couple, and they will not have relations. I really do not think this is a problem, provided that the saving of college expenses is not the primary reason for the union. But then again, this is a question for a priest or canon lawyer.

Hmm. I’m not a priest or a canon lawyer, so I guess I should have included that the OP should really check with one on this.

Running through the list of things to consider. Civil law:
[list]*]Immigration Marriage Fraud - shouldn’t apply because both parties are already U.S. citizens.
]Tax Marriage Fraud - shouldn’t apply because only “sham divorce” is prohibited, not “sham marriage”.[/LIST]
Canon law - the following used to result in excommunication, but don’t any longer:
[list]
]Non-Catholic religious ceremony - doesn’t apply to justice of the peace.
*]Civil remarriage without annulment - doesn’t apply because neither party is in need of an annulment.[/LIST]
I can’t think of any other relevant laws.

Thanks all, I’ll talk to my parish and see what he thinks. I wish the world was simple but it’s not. :smiley:

I’ve given my thoughts, but I still don’t really understand your situation. Is there some problem with finishing your undergraduate studies in your current state, then marrying next year (in the Catholic Church), and still immediately starting graduate school in your new state as a resident?

Yeah, right. I wonder how long that arrangement would last. :whacky:

It would.

We’ve been going to the same school but she started Graduate school 1400 miles away. I would like to continue school there where I have a Sr. year then Graduate school myself.

So my options are:

1. Another year here then graduate then move there Get Married.
  2. Justice Marriage and finish school there, then get Married.
  3. Move there, work a year then Married then continue school there.

If I were baptist etc. I would just do it because the laws and rules put me in a spot and punish me for not being “married”, but I want to make sure it’s ok.

I would go with number 3. That way you’d be saving up money for school. :slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.