Justification by faith - Gal 3:26

The Joint Declaration on the Doctrine of Justification (JDDJ) states “5.The present Joint Declaration has this intention: namely, to show that on the basis of their dialogue the subscribing Lutheran churches and the Roman Catholic Church are now able to articulate a common understanding of our justification by God’s grace through faith in Christ.”

So it seems now there is agreement on justification by faith.

But Gal 3:26 has different translations, as shown below:

NAB Galatians 3:26 For through faith you are all children of God in Christ Jesus.

NAU Galatians 3:26 For you are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus.

So are we justified by faith in Jesus Christ or in God? Also is the faith that justifies the faith we have or the faith Jesus has (faith of J C)?

Intellectual faith alone is not sufficient. It must be a faith formed through charity (works).

… This is a trick question, isn’t it? Jesus is God. :stuck_out_tongue:

Also is the faith that justifies the faith we have or the faith Jesus has (faith of J C)?

Both. There are other scriptures that speak to both, at least from a protestant perspective.

Justification=made righteous through faith in Jesus, the Son of the living God. As Christians, we are also children of Abraham and heirs of the promise given to him.

This is right.

It has to be the fullness of faith - faithfullness. We have to be faith-full.

It can’t just be in the mind. Belief is not faith. Faith is belief in action.

-Tim-

Agreed - but what unites Catholic and traditional Protestant thought on this (getting past the labels ) is that both would agree that “true faith” is evidenced by works (because Jesus said if we love Him we will follow his commandments).

So work is the natural fruit (and evidence) of our faith . Faith without works is not true faith (thus James says faith without works is dead) and yet works will not itself lead to faith or salvation,

So saved by faith “alone” (yes, but only in the sense that “true faith” will lead to works or it was never true faith to begin with).

Blessings,

Brian

My pastor favored “ABC.” Faith is Action based upon Belief sustained by Confidence.

Jesus Christ is God.

Thanks,
The three persons of the trinity are really distinct. Your reply sounds like Sabellianism.

Wesrock,
All would agree intellectual faith is not sufficient. I am thinking about the supernatural gift of faith. Faith formed through our own works is only human faith, and does not justify. Your view sounds like Pelegianism.

It is not a trick question.
I asked about Gal 3:26.
Again Sabellianism is suspected. Jesus Christ is true God and true man. The persons of the Trinity are distinct. The Father and the Son are distinct, not two aspects of one God.

Thanks.
This is an attempt at a serious thoughtful reply. But you quote a doctrine. I am concerned about Gal 3:26. Are you suggesting the translation of the Greek should show that faith in Christ Jesus is meant?

Your reply is not even an attempt to answer my queries. It reminds be of a politician answering a question he is not asked and ignoring the question asked.

Brian,
thank you so much for trying to answer my queries.
Your attempt treats my concerns seriously, and merits deep reflection.
But it does not get to the heart of my query. This may be my fault that my question was not clearly framed. I am discussing Gal 2:26, and want to know what is the best translation. My question was not focused enough, as other issues are also raised…

I would like to think more deeply about your excellent reply.
Again may I send you my sincere appreciation

Your pastor does not define faith. The CCC tells us " 1814 Faith is the theological virtue by which we believe in God and believe all that he has said and revealed to us,"
Again your reply does not even begin to address my concerns.

I am very disappointed with most of the the replies I received. Some ignore my concerns and write things of no relevance to my thread. Others reflect heresies, Sabellianism and/or Pelegianism.

However El Dominguero and Robbinson have posted excellent replies, but do not fully answer the issues concerning me.

I will repeat the key issues:
"But Gal 3:26 has different translations, as shown below:

NAB Galatians 3:26 For through faith you are all children of God in Christ Jesus.

NAU Galatians 3:26 For you are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus.

So are we justified by faith in Jesus Christ or in God?"

El Diminguero and Robbinson give serious answers for which I am grateful and about which I will think and pray.

Perhaps we misunderstood your question.

It’s through faith in the Son, Jesus Christ. The NAB translation does not contradict this.

If you read the translations all itemized in this link, the sense is still the same. The only difference is the position of the words, but it is saying that “through faith in Christ” we are made sons (children) of God. Remember, scripture says that no one can come to Christ unless the Father draws him. So therefore, faith in Christ brings us to the Father. and enables us to become children of God.

They are Persons, yet still God. The Father is not the Son is not the Spirit, yet all three are God. One God, three persons. Are you denying Jesus Christ is God?

biblehub.com/galatians/3-26.htm

Galatians 3:26 is clear, it is by faith in Jesus Christ. The faith is “trusting with great confidence.”

I did not say Jesus is the Father - I said Jesus is God.
All** three Persons **of the Trinity are the One God:
God the Father,
God the Son, (Jesus)
and God the Holy Spirit.
Three persons, One God.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.