Justin Bieber: “You don’t need to go to church to be a Christian”

Justin Bieber’s interest in Christianity has been well-documented in recent years. He’s reportedly been baptized, attended a Christian conference in Australia, and quoted Psalm 43 in an Instagram post a few months ago (in the picture, Bieber was reading Occupy All Streets, a book by Hillsong pastor Carl Lentz):

Why are we listening to Justin Bieber? :eek:

Well, he has apparently converted to Christianity, which is rare among celebrities, making it somewhat newsworthy.

Sadly, it seems he as converted to a rather silly “I hate religion, but love Jesus” brand of Christianity which I’ve always said that is no different than saying “I hate aerodynamics, but love airplanes.”

But then, no one expects Mr. Beiber to be much of a theologian, so I say just bless him, pray for him, and trust God to grant him some wisdom.

As far as “You don’t need to go to church to be a Christian”, he’s right in the sense that there isn’t an absolute necessity, but rather a normative necessity. To wit: God deserves corporate worship and adoration at the appointed time. To deliberately not give it or say that it is not important is unjust and untrue.

You don’t need to have anything valuable to say to be quoted in the media either.
You just have to be “famous”.

If Justin Bieber’s become a Christian, I didn’t notice it. What with his antics and everything. :shrug:

The Beeb has talent, I give him that. But as a human being, to be honest his public record isn’t really what you’d say is stellar.

Matt. 15: 8 “These people honor Me with their lips, but their hearts are far from Me.”

Actions speak louder than words.

1 Like

And You don’t get your theology from Justin Bieber

How old is this dude 20-22 or even lesser? He must be dumb

Will Judge Napolitano call him a “false prophet” as well? :rolleyes:

Exactly. My reaction also, was “And…?”

would it be the manufactured Christianity, similar to the manufactured music industry/lifestyle he is in? that seems to be the go with a lot of people these days.
I do hope that he will grow in spirit,wisdom, and let the Holy Spirit in, and eventualy find fullness in his journey. God bless him as he does it.

it is cheap and tacky though, I think.

If you go to Taco Bell, that doesn’t make you a taco

Actually, some part of you would be taco if you eat taco, right? :slight_smile:

Why not? We listen to Donald Trump…
:cool:

Now Martin Buber I could see …

Because we live in a celebrity-obsessed society.

That kid has issues anyways so whatever is pushing him in the right direction for now is good for him. Maybe it’ll end up pushing him further the right way over time.

:confused: How did I just end up getting sucked into a discussion on Beiber’s religious views?

I think you are right. He actually does seem to be turning things around. I think there’s a lot of young kids who would have done worse in his shoes.

Obviously because you haven’t been paying attention. He once quoted a Psalm on Instagram and attended some kind of Christian conference!

The Beeb has talent, I give him that. But as a human being, to be honest his public record isn’t really what you’d say is stellar.

All laughs at his expense aside, I feel a bit sorry for the kid. His antics followed his sudden lunge into the spotlight after having spent the remainder of his (what, 15?) years in Nowhere, Canada. Childhood celebrity driven quickly to madness. He isn’t the first and won’t be the last. Let’s say a prayer for him and hope his interest in Christianity is a genuine seed the Holy Spirit can work with.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.