Justin Martyr question

Hi everyone,

I’m not sure where to post this but I have a question about Justin Martyr and his concept of logos?

can anyone help me with this
thanks

sorry if I didn’t post it in the right thread.

St Justin used the word Logos to refer both to Logic (reason) of philosophy and Jesus, the Word made Flesh

I would put it this way: Justin believed that Jesus was the very ultimate expression of Logos (logic/reason/the Word), so he could use the concepts interchangeably.

Was there something more specific you wanted to ask?

BerhaneSelassie, thank you for the reply. :slight_smile:

Mintaka, your so sweet thanks for the help. I was just wondering about this question cause I was reading about justin martyr, I was wondering what is the logos actually, like is it a second God or the same God?

thanks so much for the help though your the sweetest :slight_smile:

Definitely not a second God. The second Person of the Trinity, yeah. :slight_smile:

thanks so much for the help and the reply, your the best :slight_smile:

so the logos is part of the Father, Son and the Holy Spirit?

i was just wondering how else can the Logos be explained like what did Justin Martyr believe about the Logos?

sorry if I’m asking so many questions. Hope its ok :slight_smile:

Not exactly sure what you mean by “about” To Justin the Logos is God and comes from the Father, both are One God, but unseparable, the Father is the Source:

they call Him the Word, because He carries tidings from the Father to men: but maintain that this power is indivisible and inseparable from the Father, just as they say that the light of the sun on earth is indivisible and inseparable from the sun in the heavens; as when it sinks, the light sinks along with it; so the Father, when He chooses, say they, causes His power to spring forth, and when He chooses, He makes it return to Himself.–Dialogue with Trypho, 128

His writings can be found here newadvent.org/fathers/

ST Justin primarily appealed using the fact Christ is the Logos to the Greek, saying He is King

Morning.

The Greek concept of “logos” is reason. Already in Judaism influenced by Hellenism, there is the beginning of the concept that God’s Reason, Logos, is actually personified, as in Proverbs and Wisdom. The Old Testament does not name “Sofia”, but “she” is God’s Wisdom, with God and through all things were created (as per John 1). Justin follows this philosphy and along with the Church, name Jesus Christ as God’s Logos, God’s Reason personified. It remained for the future Church at Nicea to actually define to what degree the Son of God was united with the Father.

Regards

thank you sooo much for everyone’s reply, this is amazing :slight_smile:

Read Pope Benedict XVI on Christ being the Logos.

I think the previous repliers have pretty well covered it. I’m a big Justin Martyr fan, though (my son is named for him!), so I just have to chime in.

The Greek word “logos” can be translated as “Word” (as noted in the NAB notes, for instance: usccb.org/nab/bible/john/john1.htm). Jesus Christ is the Word of God, present at the beginning of time (John 1:1-2).

St. Justin was a philosopher. He studied Greek philosophy - the Stoics, and then the Platonists - before his conversion. (newadvent.org/cathen/08580c.htm) You find the word “logos” used in Greek philosophy. Aristotle used “logos” to refer to logical reasoning, in contrast to emotional (pathos) or ethical (ethos) appeals.

It’s also worth noting that this great apologist and martyr was a layman. Who says lay apologetics is a new thing? :slight_smile:

I think Justin Martyr is sooo interesting, I’m a little confused when reading about Justin Martyr but the more I read about his life and his writings the more interesting and amazing its becoming :))

I try to remember that he’s coming from a different background than the apostles. He was a Greek philosopher. He didn’t write from the Jewish background that, say, Matthew wrote from. He wrote from a background of Greek philosophy, which takes some getting used to; it sounds, often, like reading a court transcript.

His first apology - a defense and explanation of Christian practices, written to the Emperor - is a great place to start reading Justin. (You can find an English translation here: newadvent.org/fathers/0126.htm) Written very early in Christian history, it shows what the first Christians believed. You’ll find him quoting from the Gospel and Old Testament, describing the sacraments, and mentioning demons.

Chapter 66 of the First Apology is really important for apologetics, as it shows a very early belief in the Eucharist as Christ’s body and blood.

Chapter 67 of the First Apology is the single writing most responsible for firming my own Catholic faith when it was wavering. He’s describing a Catholic Mass through and through, including prayers, readings, homily, and distribution of the Eucharist (including taking it to the sick that weren’t at Mass). To paraphrase Dr. Peter Kreeft, its so obvious, it takes a doctorate to miss it.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.