JW - Biblical Proof of the human soul?

The JW’s point to many scripture references (mostly old testement references) that “prove” that when you are dead you are dead. No immortal soul. I am asking for scriptural reference. chapter and verse to prove the existance of an eternal soul. Thanks sherrie - have found some references on this forum but for my own sake would like to see it all pulled together in one neat package here. thank you

What comes to mind at the moment that the JWs dont answer are the Transfiguration (Mat 17) when Moses and Elijah appeared.

Also Rev 6:9 shows the souls of martyrs in Heaven.

There are other passages, I hope others will chip in.

Thanks - me too hoping others will join in. Of course I can’t keep up with all the flipping for one or two verses and I certainly do have the scripture right off the top of my head like they do. I started with God breathing life into Adam but that is going nowhere. Your example is a good one thanks. Please keep 'em coming

of course above I meant I DON’T have it.

There was a good tread on this forum last week
I believe this is the link
forums.catholic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=30&page=4&order=desc

if the link doesn’t work I think this is on page 3 0r 5

One way to approach it would be to look for the Scripture passages that refer to soul of Christ. I think He is the neat package you are looking for.

Paul certainly hoped to go to be with Christ at his death.
Here is Philippians 1:20-24 (New Revised Standard Version):

It is my eager expectation and hope that I will not be put to shame in any way, but that by my speaking with all boldness, Christ will be exalted now as always in my body, whether by life or by death. For to me, living is Christ and dying is gain.
If I am to live in the flesh, that means fruitful work labor for me; and I do not know which I prefer.
I am hard pressed between the two:
my desire is to depart and be with Christ, for that is far better;
but to remain in the flesh is more necessary for you.

Now, the JW leaders claim that Paul is talking about a “third thing”, namely, the “releasing” of Christ from heaven at the second coming when he says “my desire is to depart and be with Christ.” But from the context, that view is CLEARLY false. Paul says he “does not know which I prefer” and that he is “hard pressed between the TWO (outcomes)”: his desire is to depart (pass away) and be with Christ (his soul going to paradise) for THAT is FAR BETTER (for him) but his remaining on in the flesh is more necessary for YOU (the Philippians).

Hope this helps. God bless !!
Jaypeeto4
+JMJ+

Perhaps we can start with some O.T. passages.

Genesis 2:7
Psalm 103:29f
Deuteronomy 6:5
Ecclesiastes 12:7
Wisdom 3:1-4
2 Machabees 7:9
Proverbs 1:12; 5:5; 7:27
Proverbs 2:18; 9:18; 21:16

Ephesians 3:14-15 For this reason I bow my knees before the Father, from whom every family in heaven and on earth derives its name,
we are all one family in heaven and on earth, united together, as children of the Father, through Jesus Christ. Our brothers and sisters who have gone to heaven before us are not a different family. We are one and the same family.

Rom. 8:35-39 Who will separate us from the love of Christ? Will tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword? . . .For I am convinced that neither death, nor life,. . .will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.
therefore, death does not separate the family of God and the love of Christ. We are still united with each other, even beyond death.

Matt. 17:3; Mark 9:4; Luke 9:30 Jesus converses with “deceased” Moses and Elijah.

Matt. 22:32; Mark 12:27; Luke 20:38 God is the God of the living not the dead.

1 Cor 13:12; 1 John 3:2 now we see in a mirror dimly, but in heaven we see face to face. The saints are more alive than we are!

Heb. 12:1 we are surrounded by a great glory cloud (shekinah) of witnesses, our family in heaven.

Matt. 27:52; Eph. 2:19; 3:18; Col. 1:12; 2 Thess. 1:10; Rev. 5:8; 8:3-4; 11:18; 13:10 in these verses, we see that “saints” also refer to those in heaven who united with us.

Hope that helps. Peace be with you,

Ryan :slight_smile:

Thank you very much

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.