JW understanding

Grace and Peace Everyone,

I have a coworker who is a JW Elder. We’ve been working together for 5 years and started out in pretty tense debates but over time have learned to respect one another and now have really great talks.

Can someone explain to me what are the passages in the bible that convinces JW’s that Jesus ‘is’ Michael the Archangel and why they translate Theon as ‘a god’ yet in Mark 1:1 they translate it as ‘of God’…?

Please no attacks on JW or anything, just info. Thanks.

Here’s a tract in the Catholic Answers library that discusses why JW’s think Jesus and Michael are the same person. I don’t have an answer to your other question, sorry.

Even if they don’t admit it - the JWs do not believe in just one God. In John 1.1 their translation reads: ‘In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was a god.’

They say that God is almighty, and that the Word is a god. lesser than God almighty.

So therefore they believe in more than one God.

Careful brother. We cannot know what they believe anymore than they can know what we believe. If you expect your statement above to hold water then you can’t defend against misunderstandings such as “Catholics worship Mary”.

Peace!!!

I was merely quoting what two JWs said to me a few days ago.

Understood! :thumbsup: and I was just clarifying they do not necessarily believe in more than one, capital “G”, God as I’m pretty sure the two JW’s did not quote to you.

Peace!!!

My Witness friend says that they worship Almighty God and that Jesus is a divine being and mighty god but not THE God. Jesus is just God’s son, divine, a good person but that is all.

Try 1 Thessalonians 4:14-16 DR Bible

14 For this we say unto you in the word of the Lord, *that we who are alive, who remain unto the coming of the Lord, shall not prevent them, who have slept.

15 For the Lord himself shall come down from heaven with commandment, and with the voice of an Archangel, and with the trumpet of God: and the dead, who are in Christ, shall rise first.

16 Then we who are alive, who are left, shall be taken up together with them in the clouds, to meet Christ in the air, and so shall we be always with the Lord.

Where it says “the voice of an Archangel” they interpret this to be Michael’s voice. It might read a little differently in the NWT.

In “The Bible in Living English” (Byington edited it) printed by the WTBTS in the 1980’s, John 1:1 states the Word was God… HOW can they explain that? Polar opposite treatments of that verse. Apparently, this Bible says Jehovah in place of God & they bought the rights to it without checking closely :blush:

I have an edition, found in a thrift store & they’re hard to find.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.