JWs and UN ban on religion

I have a few JW friends despite being a devout RC myself ( I pray for them all the time!) and they believe that there will be a ban on religion which will bring the end of “this system” soon after. I and they found evidence on the web that such a proposed UN resolution that would essentially ban organized religion has already been drafted but has not yet been passed. This would essentially ban any formal religion, both the practice of it and the encouragement of it. I have heard many people saying it would end global war and strife, and on the surface it may seem like the logical answer to world peace…but at what cost? What one really has to think about is whether you really believe in the Church enough to continue practicing even when faced with jail or death…after all, if you, like me, truly believe that this religion is the truth, then if we die for standing up for our beliefs, we will go to heaven.

Most people I have said it to just laugh and say it is ridiculous and that it would never be passed or at least adhered to, but I think if people were going to be locked up, tortured and killed for practicing their religion, the majority would be having serious second thoughts! Anyway, I was wondering if anyone else had heard anything about this or had any ideas because it seems to me to be an extremely dangerous threat and we don’t want the JWs to be going around saying “I told you so!!!” if or when it is signed.

If you want to read more about what the proposal says, then visit:
thepowerhour.com/articles/ban_1.htm

[quote=Catholic Diva]I have a few JW friends despite being a devout RC myself ( I pray for them all the time!) and they believe that there will be a ban on religion which will bring the end of “this system” soon after. I and they found evidence on the web that such a proposed UN resolution that would essentially ban organized religion has already been drafted but has not yet been passed. This would essentially ban any formal religion, both the practice of it and the encouragement of it. I have heard many people saying it would end global war and strife, and on the surface it may seem like the logical answer to world peace…but at what cost? What one really has to think about is whether you really believe in the Church enough to continue practicing even when faced with jail or death…after all, if you, like me, truly believe that this religion is the truth, then if we die for standing up for our beliefs, we will go to heaven.

Most people I have said it to just laugh and say it is ridiculous and that it would never be passed or at least adhered to, but I think if people were going to be locked up, tortured and killed for practicing their religion, the majority would be having serious second thoughts! Anyway, I was wondering if anyone else had heard anything about this or had any ideas because it seems to me to be an extremely dangerous threat and we don’t want the JWs to be going around saying “I told you so!!!” if or when it is signed.

If you want to read more about what the proposal says, then visit:
thepowerhour.com/articles/ban_1.htm
[/quote]

It wouldn’t surprise me at all if at some point, such a resolution is passed. Before the return of Christ there will be a great apostasy and a great persecution. Personally, I believe the UN is inspired by Satan and is the agent of the AntiChrist which will be used to persecute the Church.

I can tell you that they were also saying this back in the early 80’s when I was a JW. The UN has always been thought of by the JW’s as Satan’s organization… (along with the Catholic Church) EVERY single thing that they’ve predicted WOULD happen has NOT so I give no merit whatsoever to their claims.

Besides, I don’t worry about any gloom & doom predictions… I’m a child of God and I trust Him with my future - whatever that may be. He’s preparing a place for me… that’s the hope I hang onto.

P.S. Thank you for praying for your JW friends - they really need it.

God Bless,
CM

[quote=Catholic Diva] What one really has to think about is whether you really believe in the Church enough to continue practicing even when faced with jail or death…
[/quote]

The Church? No way. God? You bet!!

God Bless

[quote=Jo’s_Dad]The Church? No way. God? You bet!!

God Bless
[/quote]

Jo’s Dad,

As a good Catholic I say every Sunday (and somethimes more often) that “I believe in one holy, Catholic, and apostolic Church.” It’s kind of like I trust the Church to point me the way to God; it is not the same sort of thing as believing in God. It’s also a lot like believing in my wife–believing that when she says she will be true to me, she will be true to me and not requiring her to prove herself.

• Liberian

This can’t be true. The JWs are a cult that are famous for their predictions which never happen. They predicted that Jesus would return in 1892, 1914, and 1975 and other dates I can’t remember right now. This does fall into the JW idea that all governments are evil except for their “Theocracy of jehovah”

Of course Jesus never showed up on any of those dates. But that never stops the JWs from juggling thier dates and coming up with other “prophecies” and dates. Simularly the Seventh Day Adventists have been saying for years that everyone will be forced to worship on Sundays and “sabbath keepers” will be severly punished. Of course this falls in line with the SDA theory that worship on Sunday instead of their Jewish sabbath is from the “whore of Babylon” (the Catholic Church and the POpe) and that worshipping on Sunday is “accepting the mark of the beast”.

The cultists start out with these unusaul ideas and then build their “prophecies” on them.

I would ignore the cultists and their prognostications

What I think is more interesting is that most Catholic explanations of the “End Times” is that they are already occuring and have been since Jesus’ death. The Apostles all though Jesus was coming back during their lifetime. Time has no relevance to God. I don’t trust anyone who tells me what to look for in order to predict that Jesus is coming soon. He will “come like a thief in the night” means that you can’t predict it, this is why it is so extremely important to live a Sacramental life and beleive in God now.

Do I think the U.N. will be instrumental in the downfall of humanity? Absolutely and it has been occurring since it’s incpetion - it’s not a new thing. I gain comfort in knowing that, as we approach Judgement Day, I am doing everything I can to establish my relationship with God. After all, who can protect us, but Our Father.

SG

Wait a sec!

Isn’t it true that the Watchtower supports the UN?

Evanescence

[quote=Seeks God]What I think is more interesting is that most Catholic explanations of the “End Times” is that they are already occuring and have been since Jesus’ death. The Apostles all though Jesus was coming back during their lifetime. Time has no relevance to God. I don’t trust anyone who tells me what to look for in order to predict that Jesus is coming soon. He will “come like a thief in the night” means that you can’t predict it, this is why it is so extremely important to live a Sacramental life and beleive in God now.

Do I think the U.N. will be instrumental in the downfall of humanity? Absolutely and it has been occurring since it’s incpetion - it’s not a new thing. I gain comfort in knowing that, as we approach Judgement Day, I am doing everything I can to establish my relationship with God. After all, who can protect us, but Our Father.

SG
[/quote]

Christ did return when they were alive, or did you miss that part? :wink:

Without His return, there would be no Christian today.

Just another note on this “The Power Hour,” site… It’s produced by the man David von Kleist, who believes that the US gov’t bombed the pentagon on 9/11. In other words, another conspiracy theorist. I don’t give any merit to what they say at all. Besides, if the UN did pass such a resolution, that would be the end of US membership in the UN.

P.S. anyone can submit any resolution to the UN. Whether or not it gets passed is another story.

[quote=Semper Fi]Christ did return when they were alive, or did you miss that part? :wink:

Without His return, there would be no Christian today.

[/quote]

hahahaha…no intended neglect of fact…:o

SG

[quote=Catholic Diva]I and they found evidence on the web that such a proposed UN resolution that would essentially ban organized religion has already been drafted but has not yet been passed.
[/quote]

It’s true! You can see the resolution at that link. Not sure who drafted it - maybe the JWs that are trying to cause the hysteria. But the fact that someone drafted it, and put it on a website, leaves us at the real issue.

Which country is going to introduce this resolution?
Which countries are going to make up the 100 or so needed for a majority of the General Assembly needed to pass it?
Since it appears this would involve serious enforcement action, it may instead go to the Security Council. I assume your JW friend has already tallied up the 8 countries which will vote for it, including the veto-wielding permanent members China, France, Russia, UK, US.

You really need to learn more about how the UN works before reading this nonsense - basically, it doesn’t, unless there is agreement by the member countries. Which is why the educational and health efforts are fairly effective, but their military interventions are a bit more spotty.

we don’t want the JWs to be going around saying “I told you so!!!”

That would be a first.:smiley:

[quote=Evanescence]Wait a sec!

Isn’t it true that the Watchtower supports the UN?

Evanescence
[/quote]

No.

By the way–the idea that the UN is about to ban religion is a longstanding urban legend. Jehovah’s Witnesses capitalize on the continued vigor of this legend.

That site has a big banner at the top saying the article is a hoax. This sounds like tin-foil hat stuff to me.

[quote=m4dc4p]That site has a big banner at the top saying the article is a hoax. This sounds like tin-foil hat stuff to me.
[/quote]

As m4dc4p notes, the site to which the OP linked has now labeled this as a hoax, thereby negating the premise on which the thread is based. Thanks to all who participated.

The thread is now closed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.