JWs Predicting Armeggadon

Can anyone confirm that the JW leadership in Brooklyn is telling their people that Armeggadon is going to happen very soon, and that they should arm themselves? In other words are the Jehovahs’ Witnesses turning into a survivalist cult?

Some of the things I have been seeing in IRC and the lists tend to indicate this to me.

I have no idea but they used to predict the end of the world all the time. They’re not very good at it. :wink:

Spectacularly bad!

By the Law of Averages, you’d expect them to get about 50% right, but they have been 100% wrong.

They are very nervous about giving firm dates to outsiders nowadays, but I suspect they are giving firm dates to their people inside their windowless “Kingdom Halls”!

Can anyone confirm that the JW leadership in Brooklyn is telling their people that Armeggadon is going to happen very soon,

They’ve been saying that all through their history, since the 1800s. Always “very soon”; it’s part of the religion.

** and that they should arm themselves?**

No - ain’t true.

** In other words are the Jehovahs’ Witnesses turning into a survivalist cult?**

No. If anything, their rhetoric is softening up a bit.

**Can anyone confirm that the JW leadership in Brooklyn is telling their people that Armeggadon is going to happen very soon, **

Yes, because they have been doing it all along, since the 1800s. That Armageddon is coming “very soon” is an integral part of their religion.

**and that they should arm themselves? **

No - ain’t true.

In other words are the Jehovahs’ Witnesses turning into a survivalist cult?

No. If anything, their rhetoric seems to be becoming a little softer.

Eh Christans have been doing it for a long time as well. Ppl kinda stopped taking them seriously though after their big prediction 2000yrs ago turned out to be a dud hehe.

I say let them have their fun :wink:

Seriously doubt the “arm yourselves” part. They totally discourage firearms… police officers are excluded from being JW’s because they carry weapons. (This was my understanding back in the 80’s - it may have changed since)

Not suprised that they are predicting Armeggadon any day now. That’s the same old tune they’ve been singing since the 1800’s.

Are you saying Jesus was a “dud?” :confused:

Eh, I guess I shouldve made myself clear. It is scholarly opinion that the earliest of the biblical writings in the NT (Paul’s letters) is that they seem to reflect the belief that the end of days was literally coming within their lifetime and that view seemed to accepted by the majority of early christians in thet period and to a lesser extend the jewish communities (Esscene sp?) anyways.

The difference is that they didn’t predict exact dates like the JWs have.

Who cares about the JW’s…good luck to them and their CULT.

The idea of gun-totin’, survivalist Jehovah’s Witnesses is kind of like the idea of a herd of pink kangaroos wearing tennis-shoes. It just ain’t gonna happen.

Their leadership has been involved in some relief efforts aimed at Witnesses who were effected by the recent natural disasters. I understand that recently the leadership suggested that individual Witnesses might want to stock up on a few necessities in case of hurricane, etc. That, coupled with unfounded speculation, might be what gave rise to these rumors.

Meanwhile, the Watchtower Society continues to be involved in real-estate deals, building projects, etc.

Hi All:

Here is a website that lists the dates the JWs have taught about and their significance:

watchtowerinformationservice.org/index.php/category/watchtower_quotes/watchtower-dates/

Jeff S.
www.catholicxjw.com

The reason I asked the question in the first place is two guys who publicly identify themselves as JWs – one East Coast US, the other in Australia – talking about their guns and their proficiency with them.

That qualifies as pink plush kangaroos to me.

Sounds like a JW to me…:cool:

The reason I asked the question in the first place is two guys who publicly identify themselves as JWs – one East Coast US, the other in Australia – talking about their guns and their proficiency with them.

That qualifies as pink plush kangaroos to me.

:smiley: Good one, Sam!

Wasn’t trying to ridicule in my other post; sorry. No - CM is right; gun-ownership among Witnesses is not absolutely prohibited, but the gun-slinging type of person is very rare among the Witnesses. This wouldn’t rule out someone identifying themselves as a Witness, and owning a gun. For some perspective on how representative of the ordinary Witness the two guys who made those statements might be - Witnesses are discouraged from using the internet for religious discussions, also…

Yeah – they are atypical JWs in that they are using the Internet – too many strange ideas out there for most JWs. Makes the Boys in Brooklyn nervous.

But considering the cult’s vitriolic hate for Christianity, Catholicism, and all civil governments, it does make me wonder.

If they say it often enough, eventually they will be right.

But from what I learned from a devout JW is that they are not allowed to “arm themselves” for the purpose of killing.

Is this correct?

mark a:

As far as I know, JWs are not allowed to be policemen or soldiers, which would involve carrying guns and at least notionally killing. They are NOT pacifists like the Anabaptists, however – their objection is to the government part of the police/soldier job, not the violence. Their teachings are centered around fear and hate.

Your .sig line reminds me of what I refer to as the Protestant Tradition of Men called “Solo Mio” – “I (and only I) am the sole infallible interpreter of Scripture.”

Having grown up in that goofy cult (and it’s a good one to be FROM) I can say, although it was over 25 years ago, the idea of a JW owning a firearm is an anathema.
Becoming a govenment agent, like a policeman, or anything “Of this world” and especially a politician (as they cannot even vote nor take place on a jury) would be completely opposed to it’s [fly by the seat ofd its pants] theology.
Yes, the rubrics and convoluted numerology games Bethel plays to come up with headlines for issues of the Watchtower are the envy of tabloids around the world, but it is consistent with the tenent of pacifism and (and I am loathe to defend them with this, but it’s true) martyrdom they desire as much as we.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.