Kaine predicts Catholic church will change its teaching on gay marriage

Democratic vice-presidential nominee Tim Kaine, a practicing Catholic, on Saturday described his evolution on same-sex marriage and predicted that his church would change its views as well.

“My full, complete, unconditional support for marriage equality is at odds with the current doctrine of the church that I still attend,” Kaine said at a dinner celebrating gay rights. “But I think that’s going to change, too.”

Kaine, a senator from Virginia, spoke to a crowd of about 3,700 attending the 20th Annual Human Rights Campaign National Dinner in Washington, at which he also touted reasons why his running mate, presidential nominee Hillary Clinton, was far better on equality issues than Republican Donald Trump.

“Donald Trump is no friend to this community, and he’s no friend to the value of equality.”

Kaine said he wanted to be honest about his own struggles with reconciling his advocacy of equal rights with the teachings of a church that restricts marriage to a man and woman.

“My church also teaches me about a Creator in the first chapter of Genesis who surveys the entire world including mankind and said, ‘It is very good. It is very good,’” Kaine said.

“Who am I to challenge God for the beautiful diversity of the human family?” he added. “I think we’re supposed to celebrate, not challenge it.”

Washington Post
U.S. News
NBC News

I’m aware that Washington Post may have a paywall, so I figured that posting two other articles for reading wouldn’t hurt. :slight_smile:

Does the pro-abort Sen. Kaine also claim that the Church will change its’ teaching on the abortion of children?

I haven’t read anything in my news feed mentioning something like that. However, if he does, I will post it too. :thumbsup:

It’s sad to hear Catholics say things like this in public.

I think the operative word in the Post’s article is “practicing” as in practicing Catholic. Leave it to the Post to run such an article. Kaine should be ashamed giving a false impression of what the Church teaches.

Apparently echoing his boss, Mrs. Clinton, who last year in a speech said “Religion will have to change.” Mr. Kaine knows how to pander to the LGBTQ Democrat base.

Agreed.

I’d say quite a few Catholics believe as Kaine does, and on other issues as well.

Is it extreme dishonesty, or extreme ignorance?

It can only be one or the other, and either one helps him fit right in with the long list of officials who’ve been bad for America.

Either he aspires to be Catholic and has a staggeringly wrong impression of what the Church even is (i.e. the Holy Spirit’s voice in speaking the truth on faith and morals), or he knows the Church claims to speak, but doesn’t really speak, the truth; and thus he claims to believe something he doesn’t believe.

He’s like somebody who claims to be a feminist, but personally doesn’t believe in equal rights for women.

How exactly does Tim Kaine think that is going to happen when even the Pope, who is Vicar of Christ on Earth, doesn’t have the authority to change Church teaching to allow for acceptance for same-sex marriage (not that Pope Francis would want to of course).

Kaine apparently doesn’t understand the Catholic religion very well.

As married Catholics we are supposed to be open to the possibility of creation … there is no possibility of creation between two men or two women.

He might believe a President Clinton, based on her threat that, “And deep-seated cultural codes, religious beliefs and structural biases have to be changed.” will require the Catholic Church to change

Jon

He needs to study the Catheism of the Catholic Faith,read Humanae Vitae and other papal documents.Senator Kaine is reflective of the poor cathesis of so many “practicing Catholics”. Our faith is so rich and we have a plethora of material at our hands to help us learn and continually grow in our faith.

Another stunning example of a Catholic politician putting party before God.

Everybody can dream, doesn’t mean it will happen.

ICXC NIKA

Is that not true?

I see it here as caring more for family than for God. So the family HAVE to be happy and “fulfilled”

He’s just pandering to the audience to whom he is speaking. Nothing more. Nothing less.

He’s seems fairly intelligent. I don’t believe for a moment that he actually thinks the Church will or can change certain teachings.

But the audience to whom he was speaking probably doesn’t truly understand how the Church “works” with regard to teaching the Truth. So he can say things like that, and they probably cheer and even jump to their feet in applause, as if his electing Hilary and him will force the Pope’s hand.

Typical politics. Typical nonsense.

Time to make breakfast. :thumbsup:

He is not “pro abortion”.
That means someone* f**avors* abortion, which he does not. People who are pro-choice don’t favor abortion.

He has stated that personally he has “a faith-based opposition to abortion.”

But God apparently gave people “free will”…and he believes a woman has the free will to make her decision on this.

He also promotes abstinence-focused education, backs a parental consent law, supports a ban on “partial birth abortions”, favors an “informed consent provision” which requires abortion providers to “give women information about the health consequences and information about adoption.”

Who knows what might happen. A hundred years ago, most Catholics would probably have said that all non-Catholics go to hell. After all, what about “extra ecclesiam nulla salus” or “outside the Church there is no salvation”. And as Pope Boniface VIII said in Unam Sanctan in 1302, “We declare, say, define, and pronounce that it is absolutely necessary for the salvation of every human creature to be subject to the Roman Pontiff.”

But the Catholic Church has become much more ecumenical since Vatican II so that the Catechism of the Catholic Church now says (847), "Those who, through no fault of their own, do not know the Gospel of Christ or his Church, but who nevertheless seek God with a sincere heart, and, moved by grace, try in their actions to do his will as they know it through the dictates of their conscience – those too may achieve eternal salvation.” :shrug:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.