Kansas Archbishop Urges Pro-Abortion Gov. Sebelius to Skip Communion

Kansas: Archbishop bars governor from Communion

Kansas, May. 9, 2008 (CWNews.com) - Archbishop Joseph Naumann of Kansas City has announced that Governor Kathleen Sebelius should not receive Communion because of her support for legal abortion.

In a column appearing on May 9 in the archdiocesan newspaper, The Leaven, the archbishop said that Governor Sebelius has sent a “spiritually lethal message” by implying that she could remain a Catholic in good standing while supporting abortion on demand.

The archbishop’s column cited in particular the governor’s veto of the Comprehensive Abortion Reform Act, which would have required abortionists to inform women about the effects of the procedure and alternatives to abortion.

The governor’s stand in favor of abortion is particularly painful, Archbishop Naumann wrote, because Sebelius is a Catholic. He reported that he had met with her “several times over many months to discuss with her the grave spiritual and moral consequences of her public actions.” Because the governor has now rejected his pleas and her public stand constitutes a scandal to the faithful, the archbishop said that he has now directed her to refrain from receiving Communion. Archbishop Naumann reported that he has asked Governor Sebelius to accept this directive, so that she will “not require from me any additional pastoral actions.”

The governor will be welcomed back to Communion, the archbishop wrote, if she acknowledges her error, goes to Confession, and makes “a public repudiation of her previous efforts and actions in support of laws and policies sanctioning abortion.”

We should all support this Archbishop and any others that do the right thing.

Do you have a link for this story?

kansascity.com/news/breaking_news/story/613336.html

I’m thrilled to see the courageous Archbishop take a stand. On the other hand, I am HORRIFIED (as usual) by the comments on the article itself. Blessedly, a few knowledgeable people posted the facts in response but try wading through the slop, mud, and obscenity to find it!

I must be the most naive girl in the world - it’s just so hard to believe there are that many Catholic haters in the country.

The comments posted to this news article are particularly revealing. It seems many modern people are absolutely shocked that a religion would have rules AND expect its members to actually follow them. That must be a truly shocking idea to the modern world of moral relativism, pick and choose religion, and all paths are equal (until they disagree with mainstream society’s grand notion of “inclusiveness” and “tolerance”).

I read those comments to and added a comment too.

As for the arch-Bishop, I applaud his actions. :thumbsup: However, I think it is going to take a few more actions like this and maybe some excommunications to finally get the point over to these politicians. I do expect that, when that happens, there will be legal and legislative retaliation from those politicians.

I, too, think there will be a backlash. Our self-centered, morally relativistic society isn’t used to being told what to do. I imagine many Cafeteria Catholics will leave the Church. I wonder what pro-abortion “Catholic” politicians could do, besides leaving. Do you think there is some kind of direct retaliation they could try or would it have to take another form?

They could try to inform their consciences to be in keeping with what they proclaim to be, how’s that?? They could actually find this information while sitting on their behind’s even, its right at their fingertips on a computer. They could quit trying to “please the people with false ways” and actually grow a back bone and live what they are taught in the Catholic Church. I think that ArchBishop is to be applauded for what he did, more of them need to do this!!:clapping:

This is a brave action by the archbishop. It was sad to read so many misunderstandings about the church, but I guess we just need to use it as a reason to step up our efforts to communicate the truth.

Here is the original link I found this story:

Catholic World News

cwnews.com/news/viewstory.cfm?recnum=58340

Paul

Here is a link to the actual article from the Archdiocesan newspaper, The Leaven: theleaven.com/columnists/archbishop_naumann.htm

While Archbishop Naumann has asked the governor not to present herself for communion, he has not specifically forbidden his priests to give her communion.

It should also be noted that he has communicated this to her privately without success, before making this public, and in doing so, he consulted with the other bishops of Kansas beforehand.

Gov. Sebelius, a Catholic, has been a reliably pro-abortion Democrat for years, and is being talked about as a possible vice-presidential pick.

Archbishop Nauman probably didn’t have much choice. It was either challenge the Governor or cave in on the abortion issue, which would be unacceptable. This was risky to a degree, because Governor Sebelius is extremely popular in Kansas and is gaining ground in the U.S. Remember, she gave the Democratic response to the President’s State of the Union adress.

In the Diocese of Little Rock, we have been without a bishop for the last few years (there’s been one appointed, but he hasn’t been ordained yet.) Let’s hope he’s half the man Archbishop Nauman is.

It is only fair to post the Governor’s reply.

kslegislature.org/bills/2008/gov_389.pdf

The bill would have been a waste of time based on current rulings and would have been unconstitutional as it is too narrow from how I understand it.

Actual bill
kslegislature.org/bills/2008/389.pdf
kslegislature.org/supplemental/2008/SN0389.pdf
kslegislature.org/fiscalnotes/2008/389.pdf

I see this as the governor vetoing a badly worded bill, not putting any support towards abortion. The bishop is unfairly over-reacting here.

I also agree with the archbishop’s decision. I hope that every bishop in the world eventually comes to be like him on this issue.

Legal and legislative retaliation? Sounds like a state-controlled/sponsored church to which that could be done. How long do you think until that happens, and all other churches that don’t conform to the will of the state become illegal? :eek:

Scary to think, but the way things are going, this seems to be what will eventually happen… Hopefully not.

I also applaud the Archbishop’s actions. I think that all Bishops in the US should be much more vehement in their demand that public figures who claim to be Catholic and flout Catholic teaching shouldn’t take Communion.

Amen to that, Vern, and a thousand kudos to the Archbishop.

I don’t know about the proposed legislation. But I don’t think the bishop is over-reacting. In the view of the Kansas pro-life community, Sebelius has been a constant and reliable ally of the pro-abortion lobby.

Kansas law prohibits the abortion of a viable fetus except when the mother’s life is endangered, or there is a serious health threat to a “major bodily function.”

So what’s a major bodily function? The Kansas supreme court has ruled that it includes mental health, whether that’s what the legislators thought they were voting for or not. And mental health is whatever two doctors decide, one being the abortionist, the other a 2nd opinion. (Wichita abortionist George Tiller has used mainly one other doctor to buy off on his abortions.)

In spite of such a seemingly restrictive abortion law, Kansas remains one of the late term abortion capitals of the nation, attracting patients from all over the country.

Gutsy guy! Need more like him…Roanoker

Topeka, KS (LifeNews.com) – A leading Catholic official in Kansas says the state’s pro-abortion governor, Kathleen Sebelius, needs to refrain from receiving communion until she changes her position supporting abortion. Sebelius recently came under fire from pro-life advocates for vetoing a bill that would limit abortions.

lifenews.com/state3216.html

I commend the Archbishop for urging this pro-abortion politician to not receive communion but I think the Archbishop should take a stronger stance and outright forbid her from receiving communion. What do you all think? I mean, her soul is at stake here. If she receives communion in a state of mortal sin, she’ll be even worse off than what she is now simply by being pro-abortion right?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.