Karl keating debates baptist preacher

what do you guys think of this debate? it is posted on youtube by former priest richard brennet’s anti catholic group “berean beacon” however the man who karl is debating is slightly more cheritable than richard brennet is (the crowd was out of control though)

here is part 1

youtube.com/watch?v=stS4eveIbQQ

and here is part 2

youtube.com/watch?v=6yWc1C-fxw0&mode=related&search=

this debate took place shortly before the release of “catholicism and fundementalism” so it is a little old.

What do you think of it? I personally think that Karl did a good job even though the crowd was extremely biased to teh point where the mod had to yell at a few people.

Here is what I have to say about this debate:

Dear Mr. Keating,

I just spent two hours listening to this horrifying spectacle you were subjected to in 1987. I know the Holy Spirit was with you because there could be no other way you could have survived, let alone triumphed through such an abusive nightmare. I have to say, from the bottom of my heart, thank you, thank you, thank you!

yea mr. keating did a fantastic job.

Yes. Karl Keating definitely had the odds stacked against him, although there were some Catholics in the audience.

debating Peter Ruckman? He is a rabid KJV person and a racist. He is the Catholic version of Father Feeney!

i found this odd about Mr. Ruckman.

In The Unknown Bible, Ruckman claims to hold to 14 “biblical truths” which all other Bible teachers have overlooked. On page 347, Ruckman modestly claims: “Do you realize that in these last two chapters, you have learned a dozen things that were unknown to the greatest Bible teachers in the world? In 2000 years of church history, they haven’t even been able to find the passage which dealt with these things we have been talking about.”

Some of Ruckman’s long-overlooked “biblical truths” include the following:

(1) Angels are thirty-three year old males without wings; and all women in the Church Age will receive thirty-three year old male bodies at the Rapture.

(2) The plan of salvation for Tribulation saints is faith plus works and the plan of salvation in the Millennium is works alone.

(3) When the believer is born again, his soul is literally cut loose from the inside of his fleshly body. (Ruckman takes spiritual circumcision very literally!)

(4) Demons are winged creatures ranging in size from those of flies and mosquitoes to eagles and vultures.

(5) Sexual unions constitute marriage in God’s sight.

(6) The soul is an invisible bodily shape. “The problem is the word ‘soul,’ but since there isn’t one pre-millennial, soul-winning, fundamentalist who knows what a soul is (see the entire library of books published by Eerdmans, Baker, Zondervan, and the Sword of the Lord before 1970) … The soul in the Bible is an invisible BODILY SHAPE. In the Old Testament, the soul is almost synonymous with the body, for it is STUCK TO IT till death” (Ruckman, Problem Texts, p. 145).

(7) The flood mentioned in 2 Peter 3 is not Noah’s flood but is one that supposedly occurred at the judgment of the earth, when Satan was cast out of Heaven. He admits that no other Bible teacher has held this view: “Now who could get a message so simple all muddled up? Answer: Every major fundamental Bible scholar and teacher in the United States, without one exception. If you were to ask Henry Morris what the verses refer to he’d say Noah’s flood: ditto Harry Rimmer, Clarence Larkin, J. Vernon McGee, Swindle (sic), MacArthur, Bob Jones III … the Scofield Board of Editors” (Ruckman, The Unknown Bible, p. 67).

(8) “God has ordained on this earth 12 boundaries, with 12 nations, who are destined to leave this earth (transported by angels–Luke 16:22), and populate outer space infinitely and forever, beginning with the 12 constellations that are seen on the earth once every 12 months” (The Unknown Bible, p. 588).

(9) “In eternity, the Christian is in New Jerusalem; he is in his apartment house that is made out of transparent gold, like clear glass. … He is called out on trips, and these trips take him to Mars, Jupiter, Venus, Saturn, Uranus, etc. transporting couples into gardens placing them down and saying, ‘be fruitful and multiply, and replenish the earth’” (Ibid., p. 592).

(10) “I know they [demons] have to be small. … there’s two little animals that have wings. One’s a fly and the other’s a mosquito. Know what these things are? They’re pictures of demons. THE THINGS HAVE WINGS” (Ruckman, Demons and Christians, Bible Baptist Bookstore, 1976, side 1).

moriel.org/articles/discernment/ruckmanism/what_about_peter_ruckman.htm

Woe …:whacky:

I find it interesting that all I have to do, according to Mr. Ruckman without his belittlement, is buy a Book and read it … yet he will deny me the plainly written … “THIS IS MY BODY”

And how is it that in the beginning Mr Ruckman refers to Peter as Vicar of Christ only to point him out as satan to fit his bill later on??

Anybody else notice the Catholic in most debates are the more gentlemanly and respectful? I’m not implying this proves anything; just an observation.

Good Debate. Karl keating did a great job. The audience, with all do respect to thier human dignity, were like rabid dogs.

I will never ever be convinced by a protester, that all one needs is a bible. All this man did was quote from scripture, because he believed it was all he needed. I guess I just cant take these people serously.

Doh! I have dial-up! :banghead:

Sub

Two questions…

1. How on earth did Karl keep his cool during all that?
  2. Why do all Baptist preachers sound exactly like Jerry Falwell?

I listened to this debate in its entirety. Everyone has their own perceptions I guess but to read some of these comments, you’d think Mr. Keating was facing a lynch mob or something instead of receiving a round of applause as he did when he finished. This was nothing more than a road game on the other guy’s court. Yes the Baptist preacher did not show Mr. Keating the same respect he was given; and the moderator had to slap down a heckler. Big deal! I’m guessing Karl has seen worse. Can I get an amen? :wink:

Picture quality is poor but that’s what you get for a 20 year old videotape. But the sound is not bad so I’m ripping the .flv to a .mpeg to a MP3 for my audio page. Classic debate! Ruckman at his worst (or finest depending on perspective).

Other one someone needs to find is the Keating vs. Bart Brewer from 1987. I think I still have the audio tapes of that one, but not sure if a video was ever made of that.

bringyou.to/apologetics/audio.htm

Phil P

I couldn’t bring myself to finish watching this. I’m having difficulty breathing.

I quit watching when I heard people in the audience calling out AMEN while Ruckman was at the podium…he was definately preaching…not debating…

The first time I saw Ruckman was on my government run cable system. He was given one of his chalk talks and was blatantly anti-catholic. Don’t worry, the cable system’s public access channel also broadcasted masses from different Catholic churches. What a way to bring “balance”!!!

I would like to know how Ruckman is a “doctor”? A doctor of what?!?!

From what I saw - the first half hour or so, Karl won that hands down.

I don’t know if I should watch it, if one of you is having trouble breathing from it and one of you wondered how he could keep his cool during all that.

What if its full of hostility?
What if it makes me want to turn it off?
Is it good for fragile people? [like myself?]

Ohh, boy. Just wondering about it is giving me a spinny brain. I hope I won’t feel like punching anybody out. Everybody, pray for me. This may be my most daring thing to do, to date. I’m really on eggshells here. At the least, I’ll wait until tomorrow so I don’t get nightmares tonight. The description from everyone is enough to get me scared.

From what I have seen, the other guy is hysterical. I often think to myself, “is this guy for real”? Think of it this way, Karl Keating is still here and in one piece and alot stronger.

Did anyone else notice that some of his “bible” sounded like Mormon teachings?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.