Katie Couric Tells Princeton Grads to Avoid 'Nastiness,' Then Takes Swipes at Sarah Palin, Carrie Prejean

"Katie Couric Tells Princeton Grads to Avoid ‘Nastiness,’ Then Takes Swipes at Sarah Palin, Carrie Prejean

(CNSNews.com) – CBS News Anchor Katie Couric told Princeton’s graduating seniors last week that they should avoid “nastiness” and then mocked Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin and Miss California Carrie Prejean, while praising Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, First Lady Michelle Obama and Judge Sonia Sotomayor. The latter two are Princeton graduates."…

Full article here: cnsnews.com/public/content/article.aspx?RsrcID=49244

Haha…that reminds me of one of my favorite Tom Lehrer quotes (in his comments before singing National Brotherhood Week: “I know that there are people who do not love their fellow man, and I hate people like that!”

:smiley: Wonder if Lehrer realized his verbal gaffe quickly or if the realization came later…or at all?

Back to Katie Couric, I recall when she had the reputation of being sweet and perky. Guess she’s changed. Or, perhaps she is simply following the double standard of applying rules to only certain people. One is expected to be tolerant of other views, but only of views one agrees with. Otherwise, it appears that it is okay to be nasty.

CNSN seems to have a pretty low tolerance for humor. These are the “swipes” which the article mentions:

As she started her address to the Class of 2009, Couric told the students, “Coming here was a real no brainer! After all, I can see New Jersey from my house!”

On “Saturday Night Live” comic Tina Fey, who impersonated Palin, mocked that remark by changing it to: “And I can see Russia from my house!”

I think Couric is referencing the well-known joke, rather than the statement Palin actually made. CNSN calling it a swipe at Palin seems a real stretch.

The other so called “swipe” is:

And then of course, there’s Carrie Prejean, Miss California. No one has done more to motivate gay rights activists since Anita Bryant. (Your parents know who she is.)"

This seems to make light of the whole issue, activists on both sides. I don’t think this is singling Prejean out for attack.

Perhaps you are correct. But, it appears that the “humor” was directed toward Palin and Prejean while only praise was directed toward Obama, Clinton, Sotomayor.

No gaffe…humor. :slight_smile:

National Brotherhood Week lyrics, including comments (it looks like I paraphrased, rather than quoting earlier):

One week of every year is designated National Brotherhood Week. This is just one of many such weeks honoring various worthy causes. One of my favorites is National Make-fun-of-the-handicapped Week which Frank Fontaine and Jerry Lewis are in charge of as you know. During National Brotherhood Week various special events are arranged to drive home the message of brotherhood. This year, for example, on the first day of the week Malcolm X was killed which gives you an idea of how effective the whole thing is. I’m sure we all agree that we ought to love one another and I know there are people in the world that do not love their fellow human beings and I hate people like that. Here’s a song about National Brotherhood Week.

Oh, the white folks hate the black folks,
And the black folks hate the white folks.
To hate all but the right folks
Is an old established rule.

But during National Brotherhood Week, National Brotherhood Week,
Lena Horne and Sheriff Clarke are dancing cheek to cheek.
It’s fun to eulogize
The people you despise,
As long as you don’t let 'em in your school.

Oh, the poor folks hate the rich folks,
And the rich folks hate the poor folks.
All of my folks hate all of your folks,
It’s American as apple pie.

New Yorkers love the Puerto Ricans 'cause it’s very chic.
Step up and shake the hand
Of someone you can’t stand.
You can tolerate him if you try.

Oh, the Protestants hate the Catholics,
And the Catholics hate the Protestants,
And the Hindus hate the Muslims,
And everybody hates the Jews.

It’s National Everyone-smile-at-one-another-hood Week.
Be nice to people who
Are inferior to you.
It’s only for a week, so have no fear.
Be grateful that it doesn’t last all year!

Oh. Sorry. :o:blush:

No problem. Not many people have heard of Tom Lehrer. Most of his stuff came out around the time I was born. :stuck_out_tongue: I think he stopped writing/performing after being sued by someone…IIRC, it was after the Werner von Braun song.

In reading your post #6, Lehrer’s humor reminds me a bit of George Carlin’s style.:slight_smile:

I think we need to remember that the CNSN article is offering only a few chosen tidbits of Couric’s speech. You can read the whole speech here:
huffingtonpost.com/katie-couric/my-speech-to-princetons-c_b_209908.html

Couric praises a lot of Princeton grads, which includes Obama, Clinton and Sotomayor.

And then of course, there’s Carrie Prejean, Miss California. No one has done more to motivate gay rights activists since Anita Bryant. (Your parents know who she is.)"

Ms. Perky has a sense of superiority that she is sharing with her equally smug audience.
Ironically, Prejean did not pick that fight, and she gave an answer that virtually copied Barry Obama’s official position. Of course. all his gay supporters know he was simply lying in order not to seem too radical.

…without the profanity though. :blush:

Didn’t he have a show called “That Was The Week That Was?” Long, long time ago…:confused:

I’m all for humor & free speech & Ms. Couric can say what she pleases, but it’s pretty obvious which way her politics lean.
What’s a “hater” anyway? My guess is to a liberal it’s anyone who has traditional values or adheres to beliefs that are not politically correct.

Yes, which is why I think it is “a bit” like Carlin’s style. :slight_smile: Carlin could be quite vulgar, edgy and maybe mean-spirited, but some of his stuff was right on the mark without all that.

"I went to a bookstore and asked the saleswoman, “Where’s the self-help section?” She said if she told me, it would defeat the purpose. "

"Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac? "

“Just cause you got the monkey off your back doesn’t mean the circus has left town.”

George Carlin

I don’t know, but one of the albums I had was “That Was The Year That Was” (1965).

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.