Kavanaugh vote advanced to Senate Floor; Judiciary Committee recommends short delay for FBI investigation

Looks like it is likely that Democrats will get their additional delay and an FBI investigation. Flake is a swing vote and in the ultimate fence straddling move votes to move the confirmation vote to the Senate but calls for a short, targeted FBI investigation to display an air of bipartisanship, otherwise he will vote No in the Senate. Grassley says he will recommend a short, targeted investigation as well in a show of support for Flake.

While specifics haven’t been nailed down yet, basically they will allow an FBI investigation only into Ford’s allegation, to be limited to not more than one week, or to the time necessary during that one week, ie 3 days.

So there you go guys, got your bone you’ve been calling for. I am curious, if the FBI investigation turns up no new or relevant information on either side of the accusation, will that actually satisfy all those currently against or on the fence about Kavanaugh’s confirmation?

Also, hold onto your butts for some more wild and crazy anonymous accusations! It’s gonna be a wild ride!

Depends on whereManchin, Murkowskiand Collins stand. If they keep it at or above a 50/50 tie, they vote and move on.

And what are those calling for an investigation going to say when the FBI reports those called on refused to participate? They dont have to, and then we are right back here.

I want to know what those who want an investigation will say then?

DELAY is what the “D” in Democrat stands for. I mean this man’s family in walking on egg shells and they are doing this on purpose. Our highly payed politicians waste so much money and so much time on the stupidest things. They can drag out anything with no credible reason. So sad.

Sure, but it almost looks like Flake, Collins, et al are voting as a Block, so if Flake wants an FBI investigation, it is likely that Collins, Manchin, and Murkowski will stand by that too. And unless it was just a public gesture, I don’t think Grassley would have backed him if he thought he had the votes totally in the bag. Just in my opinion.

Perhaps, but west Virginia voters want him to confirm Kavanaugh. That has to weigh in.

I suspect if we get an investigation, we get no more information, but more false accusations, which will lead to the “unbiased” posters who just want 1 investigation to call for more. I wish people were just honest about their intentions and not pretend they were altruistic.

I agree with you on all of that.

Manchin is a Democrat and may not run again. He’s been pretty critical of congress, telling Schumer “This place sucks.” As a red state Democrat he’d probably rather this vote not be held before the election, but it’s not clear he feels any severe pressure to confirm.

Delay is what the Dems wanted. Delay is what they got. It has nothing to do with the allegations. It has to do with delay. It will provide time for a few more fake allegations to come forward, thereby justifying more delay and more investigation. It’s all about abortion.

Maybe they can use the delay to complete an in-depth analysis of his 8th grade yearbook.

I hate to even think what will come out of the woodwork during this week.

If the other witnesses refuse to go on the record, it will be intriguing but not further evidence.

I assume all the ‘witnesses’ will continue to state they have no memory of the incident Ford described on the undetermined date. At most, they can narrate teenage war stories from the parties they do remember.

Judge said a little while ago that he will now abide by any investigation…it looks more than likely that the Democrats will get there delay so they can drag up a bit more mud to throw at Kavanaugh…so then they’ll say they need another investigation to look into any new allegation…or…even if there is no evidence apart from the one making the accusation…they’re still going to vote no…

This is all to sway maybe 3 votes. Everyone else has known how they were going to vote for 6 months.

Well they could just save all that time and money and just read this thread couldn’t they? You all have it nailed, and I’m sure privy to all the information.

Supposedly the republicans got assurances from flake Collins and murkowski that unless something new was uncovered in this investigation baby had yes votes from them. And that means anything that gets brought up this week from random democratically controlled women who seek to make charges will not factor in or be considered.

I suppose that’s not the worst deal if they were going to budge otherwise but I would publicize that and make sure everyone knew they agreed nothing that comes up this week would be under consideration because that would just highlight that this whole thing was rigged to buy more time defined trumped up charges.

Now admittedly, flake has no backbone and doesn’t appear to have any integrity, so I’m not sure what good his assurances do but we’ll see. If they’re expecting this investigation to prove to them that Kavanagh didn’t do anything, they’re wasting their time and everyone’s time. This investigation can only show that there is a likelihood that he did do it. At the end of the investigation if no more information is uncovered then we’re back to a stalemate. And the assumption is Kavanagh should go in period there’s no way this investigation is set up to or can possibly completely clear kavanagh’s name, since it’s gonna be focused on the elegit incident, and not an investigation into her recent past and donors and who she had contact with and whether this whole thing was a set up.

His last name is very appropriate don’t you think.:angry:

Dr_Meinheimer

2m

Now admittedly, flake has no backbone and doesn’t appear to have any integrity, so I’m not sure what good his assurances do but we’ll see. If they’re expecting this investigation to prove to them that Kavanagh didn’t do anything, they’re wasting their time and everyone’s time. This investigation can only show that there is a likelihood that he did do it. At the end of the investigation if no more information is uncovered then we’re back to a stalemate. And the assumption is Kavanagh should go in period there’s no way this investigation is set up to or can possibly completely clear kavanagh’s name, since it’s gonna be focused on the elegit incident, and not an investigation into her recent past and donors and who she had contact with and whether this whole thing was a set u

Or it could show there is the likelihood he didn’t do it…but we already know the Democrats don’t believe that…so this delaying tactic is a win - win for them…the extra week gives them time to try to dig up more dirt…if they do find any …no matter how trivial…they’ll be overcome with humble remorse for the judge… if they don’t find any…they’ll still vote no as they’ve always intended

Amy Klobuchar has said she would be satisfied with the investigation proposed by Senator Flake.

It is not helpful in a debate to demonize everyone who disagrees with you. The other Senators don’t do that. Take a lesson from them and aspire to something greater than this.

Pictures worth a thousand words but I think I heard even Kavanaugh is not opposed to this idea and Murkowski and Collins surely will feel compelled to vote for Kavanaugh when this comes through.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.