Keep Christ in Christmas 2019

Share the ways you keep Christ in Christmas.

I pray for my grandchildren that they regard Advent and Christmas as a holy time.

I place single lights in my windows to symbolize the light of Christ.

2 Likes

Advent wreath with reflection and prayer at dinner, advent calendar, Jesse tree, books about the true meaning of Christmas. Nativity sets, advent wreaths, religious Christmas music, etc. I have lights in my windows as well.

Still, it is nearly impossible to compete with the consumerism of the commercial “christmas”. I hope some of what I’m doing sticks…

4 Likes

Donkey I do that too. I get the battery powered candles and I put them up on the first Sunday of Advent. To me it shows I am waiting for our Lord the light of the world.

3 Likes

I find that keeping television viewing and visits to the store a minimum this time of years helps quite a bit.

3 Likes

Mine are timed to go on and off. The LED bulbs and batteries last the whole season and beyond.

1 Like

Mine too. They go on right before dark and stay on for a few hours then turn off. I love to see them flickering in the windows.

1 Like

I need to get some on a timer. Mine are remote operated. I usually forget to turn them off and end of having to replace the batteries a couple times a season.

1 Like

Very subtle Advent wreath. Currently, I have 2 purple and one pink outdoor Christmas Light bulbs “burnt out”. Next week, there will be only one purple bulb and one pink bulb out. Then only one purple one. By Christmas, all bulbs are lit.

4 Likes

“Resist the dazzling lights of consumption, which will shine everywhere this month, and believe that prayer and charity are not lost time, but the greatest treasures,” Pope Francis said in his Advent homily Dec. 1.

“This is the drama of today: houses full of things, but empty of children,” he said in St. Peter’s Basilica.

~Pope Francis~

Keeping track of how many times I say “yes” and “no” today…looking for a discernible pattern. What does this pattern reveal about my priorities.

Let us pray to the Lord that He may never permit us to shut the ears of our heart to His voice that is speaking to us today…~St. Padre Pio~

2 Likes

I choose books for spiritual reading.

1 Like

I am following two online prayer options for Advent from Dynamic Catholic, and Pray more novenas. I enjoy them and their messages.

1 Like

I’m doing pray more novena too😊.

1 Like
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.