Keep working or quit a bad job?

So my husband and I are facing a dilemma with his job. He doesn’t like the ethics of the company he works for and has been trying to get a new job for a while now. The main problem has been with how they treat their employees and how (thing like charging the employee for return shipping of their product if something got shipped out incorrectly, waiting days to restock the bathroom when the TP and soap run out, and other things)

Last week, however, my husband took a call from a customer who was asking for a copy of an invoice they had already paid, but couldn’t find. After he got off the phone he looked up the invoice to fax a copy to the customer but then realized that the customer had sent the merchandise back and the customer was never refunded their money. When he brought it to his boss’s attention, his boss essentially told him to not inform the customer of the mistake, and they would not refund the money unless the customer asked for it.

Now my husband really can’t stand working for people like that any more. His boss seems to have no problem with stealing from his customers. DH really wants to get out of there as soon as possible. If he quits with out another job lined up, we would still have my income, which will be enough to cover our bills, (and maybe daycare for our one son so DH can work full time on a job hunt) but not much more. We have plenty of savings built up, but would rather not dip into it because we are hoping to buy a house in the next year or so.

In your opinions, should he just quit and walk away now, or should he find another job first?

Oh, I guess I should add that DH already feels bad that I have to work full-time to provide our health insurance and can’t be a stay at home mom. He really would hate to make me the sole provider for our family until he gets a new job (which could be quite a while in todays economy)

Is there any reason that he couldn’t stay at home and raise your son instead of finding a new job? That would eliminate the daycare cost and make it easier for you to get by on your income alone.

Neithr one of us like the idea of him being a SAHD. He would feel like he was shirking his duty as the head of the household and I really would like to be a SAHM.

That being said, I have heard of people who make it work and everyone is happy with their roles.

In our case, I already bring home the larger paycheck and my job provides our health insurance so, other than the sharp decrease in the amout we can put into savings each month, it could work quite easily.

in this job market, nobody's job is certain.. just a word of caution on not to be too sure of your own job..

In this economy, you should be thankful for having two jobs in the family and not be so willing to give up one. If you go down to one job, all it would take is one unfortunate event to put your family finances in a tailspin.

My advice: As distasteful as his job may be, the responsible thing for your husband to do is to keep his job until he finds another. He should make finding another job a top priority. Good luck to him with the job search.

My husband and I are both dealing with similar situations… not so much the morality of our employers, but more along the lines of stress levels and situational blame-games amongst co-workers and managers, etc…
So, I feel your pain of difficult job situations as well as being a working mom, etc, etc…

Do your best to put ALL effort into finding a new job WHILE he still has his current one… obviously this is the best choice, and while it will be stressful at work in the meantime, it’s probably the wisest choice.
We’re also “suffering through” our current situations until something new comes around. It’s HARD… very HARD… you’ll be in my prayers… it takes a LOT of prayer during this time.

Been there done that. I would advise he keep the old job and look for a new one in the mean time. If he finds something that appeals to him then he can quit the old job. With jobs harder to get these days it’s always easier to look while you already have a job (employers from my experience will hire you more readily). Pray for St. Anthony’s intercession.

I know where you are! I hate my call center job where people will yell at me all day long. I usually end up crying after the customers hang up. I’m looking for another job, but I don’t know how long I will be able to stand my job. Is it worth hating your life, and dreading every morning? :frowning:

Try to not feel so bad about yourself. It’s your job at the end of they day, it’s not you they’re angry at, it’s the place you work for / their own problems. It’s easy to be annoyed at a person you never see, so i would try not to take it to heart.

And i would definatley stick with the job and wait for something else to pop up.

[quote="ejlo1, post:1, topic:199072"]
So my husband and I are facing a dilemma with his job. He doesn't like the ethics of the company he works for and has been trying to get a new job for a while now. The main problem has been with how they treat their employees and how (thing like charging the employee for return shipping of their product if something got shipped out incorrectly, waiting days to restock the bathroom when the TP and soap run out, and other things)

Last week, however, my husband took a call from a customer who was asking for a copy of an invoice they had already paid, but couldn't find. After he got off the phone he looked up the invoice to fax a copy to the customer but then realized that the customer had sent the merchandise back and the customer was never refunded their money. When he brought it to his boss's attention, his boss essentially told him to not inform the customer of the mistake, and they would not refund the money unless the customer asked for it.

Now my husband really can't stand working for people like that any more. His boss seems to have no problem with stealing from his customers. DH really wants to get out of there as soon as possible. If he quits with out another job lined up, we would still have my income, which will be enough to cover our bills, (and maybe daycare for our one son so DH can work full time on a job hunt) but not much more. We have plenty of savings built up, but would rather not dip into it because we are hoping to buy a house in the next year or so.

In your opinions, should he just quit and walk away now, or should he find another job first?

Oh, I guess I should add that DH already feels bad that I have to work full-time to provide our health insurance and can't be a stay at home mom. He really would hate to make me the sole provider for our family until he gets a new job (which could be quite a while in todays economy)

[/quote]

The boss should have been challenged over his dishonesty and asked if that is what he is encouraging in the workplace. The customer should have been informed and by acquiescing to the boss's dishonesty, you are also being dishonest. Not worth working there if that is going to happen.

I know that. But I hate being yelled at, and it doesn’t excuse their behavior. :mad:

To the OP. I can TOTALLY understand your husband not liking that they are stealing from customers. However, jobs ARE hard to come by (even when times are good). I would pray to God and seek his advice.

However, I have often been ‘picked’ on in jobs (for lack of a better word) and that was unbearble. If you husband can go to work and fit in with the other employees, the stuff that is going on seems like not enough of an issue to quit. God understands your husbands dilemna and will not hold the company’s dishonesty against him

CM

There is a reason I'm a "sole-proprietor" now (nothing big, I don't even earn as much as I did when on salary). Could your husband look into opening a business, particularly if he could obtain some kind of grant or subsidy connected with starting up some kind of activity that's being supported for policy reasons (e.g. in Europe, the EU has been supporting e-business, maybe local govt's in the US are prepared to support some innovative or scarce kinds of start-up business?). It's a great experience "being a company" even if you have no office and you're out there on your own. It's better for your sanity and ethical concerns. Naturally, this isn't good for everybody (and e.g. I *needed *to outsource bookkeeping and I would love to have an assistant except I can't afford one, other people I know can't negotiate with clients or supervise subcontractors, yet others have different concerns).

Or maybe some kind of middle ground, e.g. freelancing (on your own but don't have to run a company) or franchise (have to run a company but aren't on your own).

closed #14

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.