Keeping Sunday Holy

I'm sorry if this is answered elsewhere! CAF is such a huge resource, it's easy to miss things!

I am curious about what I can and cannot do on Sundays, to keep it Holy.

Obviously Sunday Mass is a must.

Afterwards can I house-keep, like laundry, vacuum, and so on?

What if my work calls me in for weekend work, can I go in after Mass if they insist that it must be Sunday?

From the Catechism of the Catholic Church

christusrex.org/www1/CDHN/comm2.html

2185 On Sundays and other holy days of obligation, the faithful are to refrain from engaging in work or activities that hinder the worship owed to God, the joy proper to the Lord’s Day, the performance of the works of mercy, and the appropriate relaxation of mind and body.[123] Family needs or important social service can legitimately excuse from the obligation of Sunday rest. The faithful should see to it that legitimate excuses do not lead to habits prejudicial to religion, family life, and health.
The charity of truth seeks holy leisure- the necessity of charity accepts just work.[124]

2186 Those Christians who have leisure should be mindful of their brethren who have the same needs and the same rights, yet cannot rest from work because of poverty and misery. Sunday is traditionally consecrated by Christian piety to good works and humble service of the sick, the infirm, and the elderly. Christians will also sanctify Sunday by devoting time and care to their families and relatives, often difficult to do on other days of the week. Sunday is a time for reflection, silence, cultivation of the mind, and meditation which furthers the growth of the Christian interior life.

2187 Sanctifying Sundays and holy days requires a common effort. Every Christian should avoid making unnecessary demands on others that would hinder them from observing the Lord’s Day. Traditional activities (sport, restaurants, etc.), and social necessities (public services, etc.), require some people to work on Sundays, but everyone should still take care to set aside sufficient time for leisure. With temperance and charity the faithful will see to it that they avoid the excesses and violence sometimes associated with popular leisure activities. In spite of economic constraints, public authorities should ensure citizens a time intended for rest and divine worship. Employers have a similar obligation toward their employees.

Thank you very much! I've been worried about house-cleaning on Sundays.

Another somewhat related question, if we choose to attend Saturday Mass, does this Commandment apply to Saturday or Sunday?

if you go to Mass on Saturday evening (after 4 or 5), that counts as Sunday Mass :slight_smile:

Oops sorry, I meant the question pertaining to keeping the whole day holy! If I do attend the Saturday Mass, so I keep Saturday Holy, or Sunday?

I’m splitting hairs I know, but I’m curious!

[quote="DanaReale, post:5, topic:223637"]
Oops sorry, I meant the question pertaining to keeping the whole day holy! If I do attend the Saturday Mass, so I keep Saturday Holy, or Sunday?

I'm splitting hairs I know, but I'm curious!

[/quote]

Oh I see :) I think it would still be Sunday ?

Sunday is kept holy by mass, not working and spending time with family.It’s a family day+church day.

Hi Dana if we attend ‘vigil’ Mass (that is on the saturday, for the Sunday) we observe the ‘keep the sabbath day Holy’ on Sunday.As Trishie has explained with quotes form the catechism,some of us catholics have to work on Sundays!I am a carer for three members of my family so I work every day! I also cook for my large visiting family (and clean when they have gone)most Sundays.Although this Sunday we are visiting the grandchildren instead!

I think the thing to remember is go to Mass at a time that is convenient for your lifestyle (that is why so many different Mass times are offered).Spend time resting, thinking of Our Blessed Lord be, with family, and make it a day when you think about the many blessings in your life.

I hope this helps and may God bless you

I'm curious, if anybody knows how this relates to unnecessary shopping. I'm not saying you run out of an essential item, so make a quick dash to the market, but more that you go clothes shopping or something when you could do it on other days?

Assuming of course that we have gone to Mass and spend some time together as a family praying, bible reading, and just being social, what is the general thought on unnecessary shopping.

I guess I wonder because we are causing others to have to work, by partaking in the opening of malls etc. Yes, some can refuse to work on Sunday, but honestly when you have a restricted availability it makes getting hired more difficult.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.