Keeping the Faith in Scary Times: Need Input

Hello all,

Like many families, ours has faced some significant challenges this year. Through it all, I’ve tried to remember how much God has done for us in every “pinch” and tried to have faith that he’ll pull us through again financially as we face a couple of huge, unavoidable expenses in the next week with no obvious way to pay them.

My DH is paid on commission and I thought we’d see some light at the end of the tunnel with his paycheck today. Didn’t happen. Although it’s possible that his next paycheck may cover some or all of these expenses – albeit three days late – it’s an unknown.

So, two questions:

1. How do you, as fellow Catholics (I’m a convert), best battle anxiety in situations like this?

2. Like many Catholic moms, I have an online product that could help us – if I sold enough in the next week – but I’m a bit flummoxed about how to best get the word out. Does anyone here know of any Catholic or other Christian classified advertising sites that are inexpensive but get results? I’ve been thinking about Google adwords – using a free coupon I have – but not sure that’s the best place to advertise because the product is clearly for Catholics and other Christians and there’s stiff competition for the phrase “Christian Gifts” (as you can well imagine, this time of year).

Thanks so much for your advice (and prayers)! :slight_smile:

GardenMum232

[quote="GardenMum232, post:1, topic:220821"]
Hello all,

Like many families, ours has faced some significant challenges this year. Through it all, I've tried to remember how much God has done for us in every "pinch" and tried to have faith that he'll pull us through again financially as we face a couple of huge, unavoidable expenses in the next week with no obvious way to pay them.

My DH is paid on commission and I thought we'd see some light at the end of the tunnel with his paycheck today. Didn't happen. Although it's possible that his next paycheck may cover some or all of these expenses -- albeit three days late -- it's an unknown.

So, two questions:

1. How do you, as fellow Catholics (I'm a convert), best battle anxiety in situations like this?

2. Like many Catholic moms, I have an online product that could help us -- if I sold enough in the next week -- but I'm a bit flummoxed about how to best get the word out. Does anyone here know of any Catholic or other Christian classified advertising sites that are inexpensive but get results? I've been thinking about Google adwords -- using a free coupon I have -- but not sure that's the best place to advertise because the product is clearly for Catholics and other Christians and there's stiff competition for the phrase "Christian Gifts" (as you can well imagine, this time of year).

Thanks so much for your advice (and prayers)! :)

GardenMum232

[/quote]

Dear GardenMum, I pray for success in your need.
Trust God, for the strength to see you through this difficult time. Peace, Carlan

Thank you, Carlan!

I can only help with #1. I pray, especially the rosary. I ask others to pray for me. I also try to give to others, because I know that in my anxiety, I clutch even more tightly to God’s gifts to me, as though I will never seen his bounty again. So even if it’s leaving $.25 in the soda machine for the next person to find, I try to let go of the panic about money and trust that God will provide my daily bread. Returning to Scripture again and again, especially those passages that we all use so often, about the birds of the air and how God numbers each hair on our heads.

Also, God can come up with some absolutely AMAZING solutions to what we think are insurmountable situations! We only think in a few colors but God’s palette is unlimited!

Good luck with your product! I think that is so exciting! I wish you much success. I’m sure someone will have a lot of help for you.

Thank you, TheRealJuliane!

You are absolutely right about God's variety of solutions. I make a journal entry every time I'm in a panic and He bails us out. He's done it over and over again, but it seems -- human that I am -- I still get panicky.

You can bet your booties that I'll return to this thread if He gets us through THIS situation (with your prayers and advice)!

Thanks for the reminder about returning to those comforting scriptures. Anyone know which scripture(s) specifically mention(s) the birds and each hair on our heads?

(Also -- I'm still wide open to hearing about places to advertise).

Thanks again.

Matthew 6:25-34

Do Not Worry
25 “Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes? 26 Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? 27 Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life[a]?

28 “And why do you worry about clothes? See how the flowers of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. 29 Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. 30 If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you—you of little faith? 31 So do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ 32 For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. 33 But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. 34 Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.

(I have to remind myself every day not to “borrow trouble!” It’s a real struggle for me not to get the “what-ifs!”)

Luke 12:7

Indeed, the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Don’t be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows.

You didn't mention whether you had a job. Maybe a part time job could help fill in some of the spaces. God will provide, yes, but you have to work harder than you think you can-and do it with love. I think if we all work harder at what we do, and do it with loving attention, we may all profit in this time of trials.

TheRealJuliane, thanks so very much for posting those scriptures!

rebeccanew, I’ve actually been in business for myself for many years and I’m hopeful that – long term – we’ll be OK as I AM getting interest from new clients. Right now, though, we are in a deep valley and need to make it through the next week or so. Thanks so very much for your input and words of wisdom! :slight_smile:

Thought I’d post an update for those whose great words helped.

I think God listened and responded to my plea for help and – as is often the case – his work manifested in ways beyond those I imagined when I started this thread.

Here’s how:

1. Prompting me to think beyond my panic and find a way to move some money around so that at least 50% of the upcoming bills can be paid.

2. Prompting me to think beyond my panic and ask for a discount on a test preparation program my daughter in college needs, that had to be paid for today. I asked and I got a 50% discount! Thank you Jesus!

3. Reminding me – through his works in nature – that he has a plan that cares for all creatures, Just before I started this post, I happened to look out the window and saw one of the neighborhood squirrels sitting in such a way that it looked like he was waiting for me to toss him a few peanuts (again). I did and in so doing, I noticed how thick his coat had become. Winter approaches, the squirrel has a warm coat and food. God probably would have provided all of it, but I was able to help. I think this may have been intended to remind me that God’s stewardship plan also includes my family and not just cute furry critters.

Financial challenges remain, but I feel better today. Thank you to all of you whose kind words helped move my brain from fear to faith! :slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.